Thursday, February 23, 2006
Old horrors, young victims (Part I)
I've covered horror stories across the African continent, and every time, I tell myself I've seen it all. But nothing could have prepared me for the scenes I witnessed in the tiny dusty town of Gulu in northern Uganda.

It is in this region that a rebel force -- the Lord's Resistance Army, which claims to base its principles on the Ten Commandments -- has waged a protracted 20-year war against the Ugandan government. The army is led by Joseph Kony, a 43-year-old so-called "Disciple," who is as elusive as he is mysterious. His modus operandi is to kidnap children from villages at night and indoctrinate them into his group. Reports from victims suggest he physically and mentally abuses them into submission. The United Nations says more than 30,000 children have been kidnapped in the last 10 years alone.

In a bid to escape danger over the past three years, every young child in every village surrounding Gulu makes a nightly trek from their village homes to the relative comfort of the town. The locals call them the "night commuters."

They're given shelter at several locations in Gulu -- a canvas roof; a cold, hard floor; and if they're lucky, a blanket. No food, no water, no showers are available. But at least they get to become kids again, knowing Joseph Kony would not attack the well-fortified town. In the morning, they get up and proceed to make the long commute back home, just lucky to be alive.

Those who are kidnapped by Kony's army live a life of horror. While reporting this story, we met Alice, a 19-year-old girl who recently managed to escape after eight years in captivity. She told me blood chilling stories of events no child deserves to witness. She spoke of how the group she was in was made to kill a child who tried to escape by biting him to death, of how she was made to cut up and cook the body of a village chief killed by the rebels and forced to eat the meat from his body, and of how she was raped and eventually had a child from the man who defiled her. She showed us the physical scars of her time as a child soldier -- bullet holes on her leg and shrapnel wounds on her chest.

The International Criminal Court has issued a warrant of arrest for Joseph Kony. Nonetheless, he's able to operate with relative impunity throughout the northern part of Uganda. As long as he's alive and leading his ragtag group of rebels, no child in northern Uganda will ever be safe.
Posted By Jeff Koinange, CNN Africa Correspondent: 1:44 PM ET
  79 Comments
I have seen this story in print before. How is the USA responding to this? What can we do to help and protect these children? Is there any UN Diplomat that can intervene and get the word out?
Posted By Anonymous Teresa Stamile,Tulsa,OK : 2:07 PM ET
Jeff, thank you for shedding light on a subject that has remained in the dark for far too long. I recommend that everyone watch the film Invisible Children. It puts faces and real lives to the horrific stories and words that we read about the LRA and the children of Uganda. Maybe next time King George decides to invade a country, he does it for more altruisitc reasons and looks beyond the oil fields of the Middle East.
Posted By Anonymous Jesse, San Diego, CA : 2:13 PM ET
Thank you for covering this story. I too have witnessed the horrors this army brings upon children and their families. GUSCO, World Vision, and The Invisible Children are three wonderful organizations which are helping these children. I am sure there are many more, but these are the ones that I know of. Thanks again.
Posted By Anonymous Houston Shearon, Abilene TX : 2:17 PM ET
This is horrible to realize this is still happening. Why can't the surrounding nations of Africa assist to taking care of this problem?
Posted By Anonymous J. Barrett Raymond Brock, Texas : 2:17 PM ET
I am so glad to see this topic arise in such a public forum. There is a documentary film called "Invisible Children" which details the lives and daily horrors of the "commuter" children and the conditions which they have come to know and fear. It is an important film that brings reality to the hidden nature of this phenomenon and the extreme impact it has had on an entire generation.

Thank you for bringing this topic to the forefront. I hope this begins a strong conversation and awareness of the absolute horror that not only affects the children, but also the families and development of a country.
Posted By Anonymous Kim, Santa Barbara, CA : 2:21 PM ET
I read a story about the Lord's Resistance in Vanity Fair last month and was crying throughout the entire article. I couldn't imagine living with the fear that these children deal with every day. And for someone to be committing such crimes against humanity in the name of God is just unimaginable. I believe all children deserve to be embraced with love and should not fear anything in life. They should be protected. If I was parent, I couldn't imagine worrying about what is going happen to my child. If he might be killed, or forced to kill or rape another child who won't comply with this so called prophet's wishes. I believe this man is the worst kind of terrorist and should hunted down and stopped from terrorizing the children of northern Uganda. The situation there goes on without notice by most Americans, but it should concern each and every one of us.
Posted By Anonymous Courtney, Phoenix, AZ : 2:23 PM ET
30,000 children in 10 years and this is the first I've heard of it. And we think that it was a crime to have to wait a whole day to find out Cheney shot a lawyer? I wish that more of these stories were in the limelight. This is the real world where politics don't matter and help is both needed and deserved. Thank you for opening my eyes. I will promise you all that I will give each of my own children an extra hug tonight before I count my blessings.
Posted By Anonymous Jim D. Cross Plains, WI : 2:29 PM ET
I just hope and pray that one day enough oil is discovered in Africa for us to be dependent upon it, so that when these things happen, we will be motivated to intervene.
Posted By Anonymous Doug, Crozet, VA : 2:29 PM ET
Why is the world so blind to true horrors such as this and instead talk non-stop about celebrity gossip?

What can we do to help these children and their families???
Posted By Anonymous Ashley, Santa Monica, California : 2:29 PM ET
Thank you for this report. It's rare that the US media reports on events in Africa. Hopefully this will help bring relief to the northern Ugandan children. Unfortunately, there are many similarly horrid events currently taking place worldwide. I will continue to pray for the relief of the innocents that are suffering throughout the world. Again, thank you for bringing these events to light. As US citizens, it's easy to take our lifestyles and freedom for granted. This report puts things back into perspective for me.
Posted By Anonymous Leslie, Detroit, Mi : 2:30 PM ET
If Joseph Kony is found and arrested does this stop the "army" or is it like Al Qaeda where you can capture the leaders but the "army" still wages the battle. How can other countries help this cause?
Posted By Anonymous April Charlotte, NC : 2:31 PM ET
Thank you Kim, for posting info on this documentary. I recently read Christopher Hitchen's article on the Lord's Resistance Army in Vanity Fair, and you wonder "why can't this be stopped?" Sadly, it makes our statements about human rights in the Middle East seem selective and calculated. This is obviously an international problem, and I hope Europe and other African nations speak out.
Posted By Anonymous Sue, Rochester, NY : 2:35 PM ET
I thought the world couldnt get any sicker but turned out to be wrong. where are all the christans and why dosent the goverment go out and look for him insted of just issuing a warrant.
Posted By Anonymous Daryn,Waverly illinois : 2:35 PM ET
If the United States still stands for anything, we should remove this maniac with "extreme prejudice". The Lord's Army wouldn't last a week against a batallion of Special Forces, and this horror would be over. Oh, I forgot. No oil in Uganda.
Posted By Anonymous Mark Lubbock, TX : 2:36 PM ET
Not to take away from the horrific suffering of children in Africa, but in our very own country we have children dying from stray bullets, living on the streets and prostituting themselves to survive, attending sub-standard schools, joining gangs, and starving for food, love, and attention. We have our own horror story here--who is their voice, their champion?
Posted By Anonymous Rachel Delgado, Philadelphia, PA : 2:37 PM ET
I think all it would take is to put a bounty on this guy. I'm sure some mercenaries would be up for the challlenge. Being in Uganada, I don't think they would worry about the confines of the law.
Posted By Anonymous Joe, Royal Oak, MI : 2:37 PM ET
It saddens me to read of this injustice against humankind and especially innocent children.
Thank you Jeff for bringing this into light!
The cult culture that many people have engaged themselves in will slowly kill the meaning of true religion unless the world stands up against these primitive practices. Any religion that does not preach peace, or seeks revenge, is a cult to me. I pray and trust God that this criminal Kony will be caught and given the justice that he has denied innocent children.
Posted By Anonymous Kanyuira Chege, Dallas TX : 2:37 PM ET
This report deeply saddens me as a mother and a citizen of this world. How can this be allowed to happen? Do not walk away from this story....CNN has an international voice...keep speaking until real action is taken to put an end to this living evil. Save children...there is no greater purpose you will have.
Posted By Anonymous Natalie , Jacksonville, FL : 2:38 PM ET
This really does show the ignorance of some rebel groupe leaders. Forcing a child into acts of cannabalism and torture. My god its true the apocolypse must be near lol.
Posted By Anonymous Joe, Saginaw Michigan : 2:38 PM ET
Why aren't we over in this country trying to stop these atrocities? Is it because there is no monetary gain to be made, so our military won't bother with it? Why couldn't someone stop this guy? Like the Ugandan army? If this is a personality cult centered around this one guy then why not just take him out and stop these crimes from the root? Maybe the horrors that occur daily in Africa could be stopped if only we would get involved and stop just being a country of rubbernecking voyers who shake our heads at the problems then do nothing about them.
Posted By Anonymous Brandon Memphis TN : 2:39 PM ET
Is the International Criminal Court's warrant of arrest for Joseph Kony "dead or alive"? Because I would consider using my tax return money to hop a plane there and take care of this guy. Obviously, Bush is too busy fighting evil...evil oil tycoons...except for the UAE, their contracts are solid...I mean they're great allies.
Posted By Anonymous Steve, Nashville, TN. : 2:39 PM ET
I again commend you for addressing this story. It's interesting we as in the United States can go to Middle East (Iraq) and divulge billions of dollars to attempt to recreate a stable government but, when it comes to the continent of African we seem to look the other way. Maybe it's an oil thing or a religious thing. Can you explain why the United States or even the UN doesn't do more to assist in stabilizing more of the Continent of Africa? Just a question. Thanks!
Posted By Anonymous Ant-Franks, Ft. Lauderdale, FL : 2:39 PM ET
WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WILL WE READ NEXT... GOD IS NOT HAPPY WITH US. HOW CAN ONE MAN BE SO CRUEL AND ALL OF CHILDREN THAT HE HAS HARMED . DID THEY EVER KNOW THAT THEY ARE CHILDREN AND SHOULD BE LAUGHING,PLAYING AND GOING TO SCHOOL. I DON't KNOW ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE BUT I"M GONNA KNEEL DOWN PRAY... AND I DON"T CARE WHO LIKES IT!
Posted By Anonymous JANET MYERS,CHAS.SC : 2:40 PM ET
Here's an example of a genuine problem that could benefit by U.S. intervention ... but they don't really have anything our government wants, do they?
Posted By Anonymous Jack, Columbia MD : 2:42 PM ET
How does this kind of stuff still go on in 2006.

This man is an animal put him in a cage!
Posted By Anonymous Cam New York : 2:42 PM ET
It's sad that the media is starting to report this issue now when it has been a problem for so long. I don't know why this issue wasn't reported on when so many people in the world were participating in the Gulu Walks that were held across the world.
Posted By Anonymous Emily Rose, Vancover, BC : 2:44 PM ET
There is no doubt the fate which awaits such an uncivilized person.
He is lower than the most vile animal on earth. May justice seek him out and do justice as warranted by his peers.
Posted By Anonymous Paul Weatherford, Scottsdale, AZ : 2:45 PM ET
It is sad to see the United States, the U.N and the rest of the western powers continue to ignore real human crisis and tragedy that continues in the former 3rd world countries. I feel this is due to the fact that those countries have very little resources to offer the west, such as oil and are therefor "off the radar" of most countries, including the news media. I applaud CNN for posting this story. I would feel better about sending our troops to these places to do the truly noble work of saving lives. This is the real terrorism that must be stopped. Mybe then, countries aroudn the world would not be suspicious of US intentions. Now they think we only fight because of our greed. Could they be right?
Posted By Anonymous Brian T., Murrieta, CA : 2:45 PM ET
This is a terrifying and heart-renching story. I assume if these people were living on land covered with oilfields, the US Army would be there, too. As a teacher, I see the daily struggles urban students have with life, school and community. I cannot fathom the childhood, or lack thereof, that these children must endure because the world, once again, is turning a blind eye.
Posted By Anonymous Elizabeth, Chicago, IL : 2:45 PM ET
It is sad that the innocence we treasure in children can so easily be manipulated to also make them a victim.
Posted By Anonymous Mary, Columbus, OH : 2:46 PM ET
"How is the USA responding to this?" We're not.. and probably won't. Now if someone would just claim Kony had weapons of mass destruction... then something might happen.
Posted By Anonymous Ruben Rodrigues, Cambridge, MA : 2:47 PM ET
It seems to me that the outside world has an obligation to do something about this savagery and do it without delay. Since we are now hearing of these goings-on it is out in the open and this outrage must be dealt with and obliterated immediately. In my opinion there is no excuse for delay.
Posted By Anonymous Mrs. Lee S. LeVine, Guilderland, New York : 2:48 PM ET
While Gulu has been hardest hit by this problem. The LRA often escaped by running up into Sudan. My wife and I looked into the eyes of 100 children this summer who had been raped and seen their families killed. It was the hardest thing in the world to see. So as we discuss these children in Uganda, do not forget that South Sudan has felt the brutal force of the LRA as well.
Posted By Anonymous Houston Shearon, Abilene TX : 2:51 PM ET
What is doing the U.N.O and the international community about it? It reminds me that excellent movie that is "Rwanda Hotel", where sadly we can see that there is not any "profitable" reason to tackle the brutality in some regions.
Posted By Anonymous Rafael Gutierrez-Uribe. Anaheim, California : 2:51 PM ET
sorry to hear such horror placed on kids...but you know ..we can't help everyone every where...the governments of these places need to take up the cause of their own kids.. we've got enough problems around the world which we think we need to handle..
Posted By Anonymous DAVE SAN FRANCISO, CALIF : 2:52 PM ET
If I was the President of the USA taking these guys out would be on the top of my agenda as would doing at least one significant thing a week to remedy the suffering of children around the world. Please use the power of your show to help resolve this and don't relent until it is.
Posted By Anonymous Don Hagan, Montreal, QC Canada : 2:53 PM ET
Upon reading this horror article, I wish our government help those kids in Northern Uganda as early as possible before more kids die.They need freedom to play and enjoy not being rape,eaten, and abuse by Joseph Kony. I grew up in a very dangerous place in Philippines, but i never heard any situation like these. I hope Government will give time and focus to this extreme horror that children are facing right now not just the Iraq war.
Posted By Anonymous Christina,La Junta, CO : 2:56 PM ET
Please do not drop this story. Run with it daily. Morally, how we can the media spend 500 TV new hours examining every detail of a high profile murder case, (Peterson/Holliway etc.)and 10 minutes a month discussing thousands of inoccent children being enslaved, tortured and murdered.
Posted By Anonymous Mark Gravelle, jacksonville, FL : 2:57 PM ET
This is one of the most disturbing and horrifing stories that I've ever heard. Sure wakes you up again to the reality of how many REAL "Monsters" are running around loose in the world. Something has to be done to stop this !!!!!!

Surely we (USA) should do something about this..... I cannot believe we havent already.....

A truly shocking story.
Posted By Anonymous S. Davis St. Augustine, FL : 2:57 PM ET
Now this is an issue the Bush Administration should get behind.... BIG TIME... children are forced to live like this and we do trade with that nation... and many others because of the mineral resources.... Stop this horrible abuse of children NOW
Posted By Anonymous Louise Janitch, Chesterfield, MO : 2:58 PM ET
Thanks for this article. I don't see much in the news these days about Uganda or the Congo and there are such atrocious crimes happening every day there. It is hard to imagine how horribly people are being treated there. Something needs to be done, but with our fiasco of a "war" in Iraq, attention is being placed there. Perhaps I can write a letter to one of the organizations listed above to see what I can do. Thanks very much and please keep reporting on what is happening in the Congo and Uganda.
Posted By Anonymous Gabriel Barbaro, LA, CA : 2:58 PM ET
Where are the native saviors for these 30,000 Ugandan children? Must the United States be relied upon to respond to the inhumane acts caused in all foreign countries?
Posted By Anonymous Christine, Clearwater, FL : 9:48 AM ET
This is heart wrenching!!! However, if anyone has watched Hotel Rwanda and all movies about the genocide that took place where close to 1 million people were murdered, the truth was told. The countries with power did not and do not deem Africa worthy of support. They are the forgotten people and will remain invisible until EVERYONE stands up against this blatant display of hatred towards a people. This has to end!!!! This is about humanity. We will all pay for this in the end if we don't do something.
Posted By Anonymous Alexandra, Atlanta, Ga : 9:54 AM ET
Accepting the details of this story as true, it is beyond sickening. Unfortunately there are scores of stories such as this that have been written about and shared in the western press. Accepting them as true, how come it is NOT alright to engage in this type of behavior in Kosovo, but apparently alright in Uganda, Rowanda, and the Sudan?

Reporting on such stories is a wonderful first step. Nonetheless, what hampers our (westerners) moral will that we can be satisfied to throw up our collective hands and say, 'Oh well, that's just a shame,' while allowing these crimes against humanity to cotinue.
Posted By Anonymous A D Mack, Waco, Texas : 9:57 AM ET
If this were in the USA there would be on outcry of help and support. But, unfortunately because it across the world, we can only read about it and shake our heads. I want do something, and I know I can't be alone. No evil, like this should be allowed to exists. And our children, our most sacred and precious commodity, should never have to suffer like this. My heart is breaking just thinking about it. If aanyone know how we can help. Please post it.I will be prayer very hard for these children, Please pray with me.
Posted By Anonymous Audra, Fresno, Ca : 10:00 AM ET
It amazes me that in this day and age with the technologies we have available to us, that this can be allowed to go on. How elusive can this Joseph Kony possibly be. The sad fact is, if the city of Gulu sat on top of oil or some other sought after export, this would quickly become a crucial issue for the United States and other greedy nations.
Posted By Anonymous Liz, Millbrook, NY : 10:00 AM ET
What really makes me sick about this story is the fact that we would never stand for such atrocities if the victims were of a paler hue. We are so concerned when anything bad happens to a blonde haired, blue eyed white girl, but we take no notice when these horrific events happen every day around the world to non-white peoples. Most white Americans think that these people are too different and too far removed from them to bother caring about. So thank you for reporting on this, but I think that it will fall on deaf ears.
Posted By Anonymous Michelle, Boston MA : 10:08 AM ET
I am thrilled that your show is making global issues real to it's viewers. It's about time we get out of our North American bubble and see what people in other cultures really face. Our 'problems' are so pathetic.

I have a friend who is a refugee from Sudan. The only difference between me and my life of comfort and he and his life of violence and trauma is place of birth.

By the grace of God, go we....and I can't sit back passively anymore.
Posted By Anonymous Christy, Martensville Canada : 10:12 AM ET
It is terrible that anyone would be so unhumane to children. When stories of this kind comes to light the world listens in horror. The only hope that one can grasp is that these horrific tragities will incite others out of apathy and to actions to stop these monsters from commiting these crimes.

The time will come when the people will have to stand up and destroy this evil amoung them. These People in northern Uganda will have to face justice and be punished for their crimes.

The people of uganda have a right to sleep safely in their own bed. All of us have a responsibility to do what ever we can to give them that blessing.
Posted By Anonymous Stephen Johnson, Tallahassee Florida : 10:26 AM ET
As a Kenyan living in the US, i had a friend from Gulu at Makerere Univeristy who lost all his siblings to Kony(ranging from 3-16yrs). It is sad that the president of Uganda thinks of his re election as priority over the senseless genocide of his people by a cannibal peadophile..
Thanks Jeff for reporting this again
Posted By Anonymous Mtangulizi Soke Atlanta, GA : 10:33 AM ET
Thank you for posting this story... Being a mom I am horrified to hear such things happening..... How come media is not responding to such things.... They are making Cheney's story a big headline for no good reason.... This is NOT what we want.... Bring Kony's horror to forefront... so that the international bodies will be pressured to take action quickly..... That's what is needed at this time.....
And how about pouring some money for real reason to help these kids who are REALLY sufferng instead of pouring it for finding the WMDs that do not even exist?
Posted By Anonymous Manisha Limaye, Madison, AL : 10:34 AM ET
true horror. where's the primetime coverage?
Posted By Anonymous steve tacey, newton, MA : 10:36 AM ET
Of course George W. Bush and the rest of the the West wont interfere with this situation as there is no strategic or economic reason to.

And Western citizens wont worry about these atrocities as much as they did about Saddam's because their government aren't TELLING them to worry about it. God forbid individual citizens ever think for themselves.
Posted By Anonymous David Wilkins, Tasmania, Australia : 10:40 AM ET
I really wish that the general public of the U.S. was more concerned with stories such as these rather than whether or not Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes have broken up.
Posted By Anonymous Beth, Starkville, Mississippi : 10:42 AM ET
The most disgusting part of this crisis is how boldy the international community has basically ignored this. I saw the documentary Invisible Children, but this is not enough. CHILDREN ARE BEING EATEN ALIVE!!! Wake Up!! Terrorism in not just an American Issue!
Posted By Anonymous Amber, Los Angeles, CA : 10:42 AM ET
While we here in America sleep at night, thinking that everything in great. We seem to forget that people all around the world are going through things that we could not imagine.
Posted By Anonymous Charles Steen, Kingsville Texas : 10:45 AM ET
Wouldn't it be a better use of our resources (Iraq is costing HUNDREDS of BILLIONS NOT 1.5 BILLION estimated by Bush) to eliminate people like Kony rather than waste hundreds of billions of tax payer's money in Iraq? Oh I forgot, oil is more important to Bush than the welfare of 30,000 children. Did we really topple Saddam because he was a "bad" person? How many "bad" leaders are there? We could get rid of this guy in a week spending 10 million. Who will pay for the cost of war? Our children and gradchildren with interest.
Posted By Anonymous Ben, NY, NY : 11:00 AM ET
If you are looking for more information on this horrific situation, there has been a project put together by several College-age Christian guys who visited the area, made a documentary, and are traveling and raising money to support and help the Children. Just google "Invisible Children," the name of their project.
Posted By Anonymous Laura, La Mirada, California : 11:06 AM ET
I recently watched a special about the children in Uganda and I felt sick to my stomach. Mothers here worry about children listening to bad music and watching too much tv, whereas there they are trying to save their children's lives. How much horror can one live with? and why are our governments not doing something about him?
Posted By Anonymous Bethan Mowat, Montreal, Canada : 11:16 AM ET
Congratulations on having the courage to post such a story. Have we all dug our heads deep in the sand when confronted by the horrors children are subjected to? It seems to me, that with the armed forces and technologies we have today, men like this madman could be found ''pronto'' and put on death row.
As we wonder at the silence of those who knew about the horrors of the WWII death camps, may we also gape at our hard hearts.
Posted By Anonymous Angie Rose, Montreal, Qc, Canada : 11:16 AM ET
Is there no end to the maddness in Africa? Is the orginal homeland of the human race corrupt at its roots? When will we take charge and change things for the better? And I really wonder has this type of behavior, which is the worst of human kind has to offer, has it been around since our very beginings and is now coming to light because of our connectivity to the world (especially with the advent of the internent and on demand news coverage of the world)or is that we as humans are begining to rot from the core? Which ever it is we must do something, we must change these events for the better ment of the world in which we live in.
Posted By Anonymous Alex, Miami, FL : 11:20 AM ET
Is this not the kind of atrocious acts the civilized world has vowed to be ever on gaurd against? When will we realize that our double standard of involment has to end. Just because it isn't happening in western culture does not mean that we are free to turn away. The bottom line is this: If some crazed faction was kidnapping and murdering children in Northern Britan, instead of Northern Uganda, This man, Kony, and his followers would be captured or killed within a week. Shame on us.
Posted By Anonymous Jeff Reddick, Frisco, Texas : 11:20 AM ET
How can this be allowed in our world?? And why would anyone succumb to accept the horrible things they were made to do and not take their own life? No god would be tolerant to such carnage. And no god would be condemning if a life was taken by ones own hand to escape the insanity. If this is truly occurring than our war is being waged on the wrong continent.
Posted By Anonymous Ellen, Hazleton, Pennsylvania : 11:23 AM ET
I am surprised that it took you so long to cover this story. If you (CNN) wants to make a real difference in the world, you will keep on hammering this story and others like it until the public takes notice. One-time stories do not move teh public.
PLEASE, for the sake of the children, be advocates for them. Our political systems are not working, but you have the power. Why not use it?
Posted By Anonymous Doug, Kernersville, NC : 11:29 AM ET
I just don't understand how there are places like this, and people like this still, in this world today.

What can we do to help?
Posted By Anonymous Tina, Boston : 12:34 PM ET
Jeff,

I am glad that there are reporters like you out there to highlight these atrocities occurring in Africa. I could not do what you do - your heart must break every day.

Unfortunately I remember what happened when the Americans intervened in Somalia, and then didn't intervene in Rwanda. I think the only people that are brave enough to help these people are the NGO's.

I like the idea of the mercenaries that someone else brought up on the blog though....

A concerned Canadian
Posted By Anonymous Jennifer Andrews, Toronto, Ontario : 12:39 PM ET
Its amazing that this thing can go on unpunished in this world. Yet as I read these comments I see that more the one person has decided to make this an issue of oil and why we are in Iraq. Obviously if you think that Saddam was not just as terrible as this man sounds to be you might want to try learning about whats going on first. We are not in Iraq for oil as much as you may want that to be the excuse its not the reason. If this is the first time your reading about this as much as it is for me it might also be the first time Bush has heard about it to. Being president doesn't mean your all knowing. This situation can easily be taken care of without sending in the enitire American army. A well planned assasination would probably work well. For the 30,000 children that are caught up in the campes they could probablyy be freed by some more soldiers. I am glad sitations are brought to the peoples attention. I hope Bush reacts soon and sensibly.
Posted By Anonymous Kyle Seelig, New York CIty, NY : 5:01 PM ET
I think that if the White House, the Congress, and the rest of Washington for that matter, would put the same passion into the relief effort instead of finding out who's to blame, we would all be amazed with the progress that the gulf coast could make!

As a taxpayer, I want to see the politicians washing their hands becuase of their physical help in the clean-up efforts and not because they want to get out of the blame from the lack of accountability.
Posted By Anonymous Tim - West Lafayette, Ohio : 6:39 PM ET
What can we do? We can go to Uganda and do what little we can to help! A group of us are going over to Gulu, this summer from Fayetteville, NC. Perhaps if more Amercians go over there more attention will be aimed at the atrocities these children have to endure.
Posted By Anonymous L.A. McLean Fayetteville, NC : 6:51 PM ET
My name is Jason, and I am the director of the film, "Invisible Children" - I was angered and shocked as all of you are when I discovered this hidden war in 2003.
There is something we CAN do. On April 29th, in over 136 cities thousands of individuals (mainly youth) have already committed to sleep in their designated downtown city centers for the invisible children in Northern Uganda. Oprah, Anderson Cooper, CNN, and all of America will notice. If you want to this war to stop, I encourage you to be uncomfortable and unsafe foe ONE NIGHT. The American government is taking notice...and will take action. Let's close our eyes on April 29th and open the worlds.
Posted By Anonymous Jason Russell, San Diego, CA : 4:26 PM ET
Jeff Koinange, your doing a great job. Please continue to do what your doing. Thank you.
Posted By Anonymous Salat Tuke, Bloomington, MN : 12:17 PM ET
This is the first time a lot of people have heard about this but PLEASE! The government had to know about this for years. To America (the government) being able to have an impression on a country that owns what we love the most (oil) is more important than saving 30,000 African kids. That's why we haven't done what we could!
Posted By Anonymous Batie, Kansas City, KS : 12:25 PM ET
That is the most horrifying story, I am beyond sick at this point, this world can be so beautiful and at the same time be so disgusting and cruel. It is beyond comprehension that the President of the United States sits back while such unjustices are waged on the population of the innocent and young.
Posted By Anonymous Amy, Denver, Colorado : 12:27 PM ET
I am just completely horrified. I saw your story for the first time (I wonder why?) on Anderson Cooper's 360 and I have to say that this is by far the most gut wrenching thing of our time. Your story by far deserves more air time. I cannot believe that anybody would do this to children and that such a story has not received the attention it deserves.
Posted By Anonymous Fungai, New York , NY : 1:23 PM ET
like someone said " 30,000 children and this is the fist i've heard about it" why is the US government not taking some action against this, they seem to be sending the arm forces everywhere, to kosovo, to afganistan, to iraq, are we so hypocritical that only when there is an interest to US that we give those crime against hunmanity speeches and go to war, or is it that people who don't have oil are not considered humans.
Posted By Anonymous Anshu, Lawrenceville,GA : 2:29 PM ET
Thank you for sharing this powerful and disturbing story. I, too, have read about this and actually feel sick to my stomach imagining what the people of Uganda are going through on a daily basis.
It's unreal that we are witnessing such a devastating story in this day and age of modern technology. This awful man should be caught and dealt with!
All creatures...people and animals... are entitled to care and reverence. People that abuse/exploit that entitlement hide and act out in the dark. All things will be broght to the light...believe that. In the meantime, I will continue to be vocal and stand up for the rights of all people and animals.
Posted By Anonymous Patricia, Culver City, CA : 2:46 PM ET
I wish that responders would not refer to Joseph Kony and his followers as animals. Their behavior is not animal behavior, it is very human behavior. It is the kind of behavior that is going on in much of the world. I repeat, it is very human behavior. It has been going on for at least as long as there are records of human activities and quite probably before that.
Posted By Anonymous Rob, Gainesville, GA : 4:05 PM ET
As a Ugandan, I would like to say a hearty thank you to everyone who is bringing light to this horrible injustice in Northern Uganda. Thank you most of all for your prayers.
Posted By Anonymous Rebecca Namutebi, Alexandria, Virginia : 8:09 AM ET
Anderson, thank you for talking about the things that are not being blasted on, in the media...wow what can we do to help?
Posted By Anonymous Shakira Pumphrey, Little Roc, Arkansas : 11:53 AM ET
ABOUT THE BLOG
A behind the scenes look at "Anderson Cooper 360°" and the stories it covers, written by Anderson Cooper and the show's correspondents and producers.

What's this?
CNN Comment Policy: CNN encourages you to add a comment to this discussion. You may not post any unlawful, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic or other material that would violate the law. Please note that CNN makes reasonable efforts to review all comments prior to posting and CNN may edit comments for clarity or to keep out questionable or off-topic material. All comments should be relevant to the post and remain respectful of other authors and commenters. By submitting your comment, you hereby give CNN the right, but not the obligation, to post, air, edit, exhibit, telecast, cablecast, webcast, re-use, publish, reproduce, use, license, print, distribute or otherwise use your comment(s) and accompanying personal identifying information via all forms of media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity. CNN Privacy Statement.
Home  |  World  |  U.S.  |  Politics  |  Crime  |  Entertainment  |  Health  |  Tech  |  Travel  |  Living  |  Money  |  Sports  |  Time.com
© 2014 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved.