Romance of the Stone
Mystery lingers: Where did those Freemasons put that White House
cornerstone back in 1792?
There is no doubt that on the afternoon of Oct. 13, 1792, a
group of Freemasons marched from Georgetown to the site of what
is now the White House and laid a cornerstone. That evening,
though, by about the 11th toast--this one to "the fair daughters
of America"--the congenial gathering of Freemasons at
Georgetown's Fountain Inn had begun to grow a bit hazy about
where they had laid that particular stone earlier in the day.
Five more toasts followed, concluding with the wish "May peace,
liberty and order extend from pole to pole." Then the revelers
went off into the night with only the faintest notion of what
they had planted--the beginnings of an institution that would be
the heartbeat of the greatest, most powerful and enduring
democracy on Earth.
Among the most important and exalted buildings to Americans is
the White House, home and office to Presidents, symbol of liberty
to the world. It's getting all polished up for the 200th
commemoration of the day (Nov. 1) President John Adams moved into
the brand-new edifice. But even now, we are not sure where those
jovial Masons put the cornerstone.
There is only one known written account of the event, which came
to light many years later, in 1946. It is a letter from "a
gentleman in Philadelphia to his friend in Charleston, dated
October 20, 1792" (as noted by the Charleston, S.C., City Gazette
& Daily Advertiser), that describes "the first stone" being laid
"in the southwest corner of the president's house."
On that Saturday, according to the anonymous letter, a crowd
gathered at the Fountain Inn and shuffled down the dusty street
to the raw construction site, optimistically termed the
The Freemasons led the way by rank, followed by the district
federal commissioners and then a good body of "Gentlemen of the
town and neighborhood"; and last came "the different artificers,
et cetera ... The ceremony was performed by brother Casaneva,
master of the lodge, who delivered an oration well adapted to the
occasion." President George Washington was working in
Wet mortar was spread on one of the foundation stones, which were
all of Aquia sandstone quarried in Virginia; then a
polished-brass plate with the names of the dignitaries and the
date was pressed into the mortar and the cornerstone lowered in
We like to think there was a huzzah or two, but no one knows. We
do know the group "retreated, in regular order, to Mr. Sutter's
Fountain Inn, where an elegant dinner was provided. The whole
concluded with the greatest harmony and order."
Before the discovery of that anonymous letter, conventional
wisdom had it that the cornerstone had been placed in the
northeast corner of the White House, since it was Masonic
practice to choose that corner. In a 1901 renovation, paint was
scraped from a few stones in a vain effort to locate an
inscription. Once the Charleston letter surfaced, interest
immediately shifted to the southwest corner of the White House.
During Harry Truman's 1949 remodeling, when the building was
literally gutted, White House architect Lorenzo Winslow became so
intrigued by the stone mystery that he arranged for the Army
Engineers to scan the walls with a mine detector.
"We tried the detector all around and got the loudest buzz at the
southwest corner," reported a triumphant engineer. "The plate
appears to be between two stones about chest high from the
outside ground level, about the second or third stone up." Some
exuberant historical sleuths suggested that cuts be made in the
stone to retrieve the plate, study it and then return it to its
They had not counted on the Washington Post's eruption at the
idea of violating sacred stones. Nor had they figured on Truman,
who said it was O.K. to take a look at the plate if it was
uncovered in the normal renovation process but vetoed any
prodding around in solid walls that did not need replacing or
The Truman crews did find something. They uncovered a marble box
under the White House entrance hall. Inside the box: an empty
bottle of Hunter's Baltimore Rye, apparently placed there when
Prohibition was gaining momentum and hovering darkly over
bibulous politicians. A White House "ghost" was stirring.
But mysteries never die. In the next years, a radar device from
the Virginia department of transportation was trundled up to the
building's walls, and blasts of shortwave were unleashed,
yielding some encouraging but gauzy "reflections" in the
southwest corner. Not good enough.
Next came the dowsers with their twitching shafts. Two came from
North Carolina. One joined from Pennsylvania, and among the three
of them, they managed to zero in on other White House stones in
totally different places.
Time for a 17th toast: To the White House at 200 years. May it
ever live with all its glorious history--and its secrets intact.