- East Chicago, Indiana is the first superfund site EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt has visited
- It was listed on the "National Priorities List" of the worst contaminated hazardous waste sites in 2009
(CNN)Environmentalists say USS Lead Superfund in East Chicago, Indiana, is the poster child of environmental injustice.
- East Chicago is receiving $16.5 million in EPA State Revolving Fund (SRF) funding for drinking-water infrastructure upgrades.
- EPA, the state and the city are working together to coordinate lead service-line replacement with cleanup work to expedite completion of the work and minimize disruptions.
- EPA provided 54 homes with filters and bottled water while Superfund work was underway at those properties in Zones 2 and 3. This year, Indiana will distribute filters to all residents in Zones 2 and 3.