- President Trump has pledged as much as $1 trillion in infrastructure spending
- The White House's proposed budget calls for cuts to many infrastructure programs
- Budget director promises more infrastructure spending to come
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump is proposing to cut or eliminate several key federal infrastructure programs despite repeated vows to increase spending on roads, utilities and other vital facilities.
- Eliminating the decades-old $3-billion-a-year Community Development Block Grant program, which has allocated roughly $280 million a year to local infrastructure improvements in low-income neighborhoods.
- Eliminating a $221-million-a-year Commerce Department grant program that pays for a range of projects, including infrastructure, that support manufacturing.