- Sessions said Thursday he will recuse himself from any existing or future investigations about Trump's campaign
- Schumer said Sessions should resign and appoint special prosecutor
(CNN)Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Thursday he will recuse himself from any existing or future investigations related to President Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign amid an ever-growing chorus of demands for him to step aside.
- the attorney general (or acting attorney general) must determine that "criminal investigation of a person or matter is warranted," and
- that investigation or prosecution by a local US attorney's office or division of the Justice Department "would present a conflict of interest for the department or other extraordinary circumstances," and
- that "it would be in the public interest to appoint an outside special counsel to assume responsibility for the matter."