- The Logan Act bars private citizens from negotiating with foreign powers
- No one has ever been prosecuted under the 218-year-old law
(CNN)Michael Flynn is out as President Donald Trump's national security adviser. But does he have bigger problems than just needing a new job?
What is the Logan Act?
What does it have to do with Flynn?
Did Flynn break the law?
- There's no evidence Flynn, as an adviser at the time to President-elect Trump, had authority from Obama to speak with foreign officials.
- A US official confirms that Flynn and Kislyak did speak about sanctions.
- The exact context of Flynn's side of the conversation was not clear, even to the FBI and intelligence groups that reviewed the content, a US official told CNN.
What about past Logan Act cases?
- President Ronald Reagan accused the Rev. Jesse Jackson of violating the act in 1984 when Jackson visited Moscow in an attempt to secure the release of a dissident.
- Two years ago, 47 Republican senators signed an open letter to Iran's officials declaring their opposition to the Iran nuclear deal. Critics suggested that may have violated the Logan Act.