- ISIS is fending off enemies from all sides in Raqqa
- But there's been little coordination between various groups on the ground
(CNN)The "caliphate" declared by the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq (ISIS) will lose its last two cities of any consequence -- Mosul in Iraq and Raqqa in Syria -- within months, according to the senior U.S. general in the region.
- The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), an alliance of the main Kurdish group (the YPG) in northern Syria with several Arab groups and tribes
- A combination of Turkish-backed rebel groups, supported by Turkish special forces and aerial support (and sometimes Russian air power)
- The Syrian army backed by pro-government militia, Iranian paramilitaries and the Lebanese Shia militia Hezbollah (and often Russian air power)