- The vast majority of the scientific community agrees that humans are warming the planet
- Trump at times has dismissed the severity of the issue
Washington (CNN)Hoping to jump-start the debate on climate change, a group of high-profile Republicans that includes three former Cabinet secretaries is calling for a substantial new carbon tax, and then to offset the pain higher prices cause the middle class by returning all money raised to American taxpayers.
- George Shultz, who has led the Labor, Treasury and State departments as well as serving as director of the Office of Management and Budget;
- Hank Paulson, who was Treasury secretary in the George W. Bush administration;
- Martin Feldstein, a conservative economist who led President Ronald Reagan's Council of Economic advisers;
- Greg Mankiw, the CEA chief for George W. Bush;
- Rob Walton, former Walmart chairman of the board of directors;
- California venture capitalist Thomas Stephenson;
- Ted Halstead, founder of the New America Foundation.