- On International Holocaust Remembrance Day, President Trump issues an order demanding "extreme vetting" of refugees
- Mark Hetfield: This is a tragic case of history repeating itself
Mark Hetfield is the president and CEO of HIAS, the global Jewish nonprofit that protects refugees. The views expressed in this commentary are his own.
(CNN)President Donald Trump is commemorating International Holocaust Remembrance Day by slamming America's door on refugees. This is a ghastly repeat of the tragic mistake America made in 1921, when President Warren Harding signed the Emergency Quota Act, severely limiting the numbers of refugees and immigrants admitted to the country.
- 134 million banned from US
- What the ban says: The full text
- What to know about the restrictions
- Legal battle begins
- The ban's Christian focus
- A family's plight just got more complicated
- Bergen: Trump's big mistake
- All of Trump's executive orders, memos and proclamations
- Comparing Trump to previous presidents