(CNN)More than 1 million customers are without power across Florida as Hurricane Matthew skirts the state's east coast, according to utility companies.
Florida power outages: More than 1 million in the dark
The counties with the highest number of outages are:
• Volusia County (includes Daytona Beach): 257,284
• Brevard County (includes Melbourne, Port Canaveral and Cocoa Beach): 196,729
• Duval County (includes Jacksonville): 90,518
• Orange County (includes Orlando): 69,231
• Seminole County (includes Sandford): 67,359
Florida Power & Light is reporting roughly 684,690 customers without power in 26 counties. Electricity provider Duke Energy is reporting 165,344 customers affected, while TECO and other utilities reported about 207,959 customers in the dark.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott said Friday morning that more outages are inevitable. He urged residents to stay away from downed power lines until utility crews can render them safe.