- "Raising Ryland" is an intimate look at parenting a transgender child with no strings attached
- Ryland's family first shared their story on a YouTube video that has been seen more than 7 million times
This story was originally published on CNN.com in 2015.
Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering family, career and life. Read her other columns and follow her reports at CNN Parents and on Twitter.
(CNN)When Hillary Whittington learned she was having a girl, she and her husband, Jeff, were thrilled. Naturally, the couple started getting ready for the arrival of their first child.
Ryland: 'When the family dies, I will cut off my hair'
'Do I want a living son or a dead daughter?'
- LGBTQ crisis intervention and suicide hotline for : 1-866-488-7386
- Confidential counseling via text message: 202-304-1200
- More resources at www.thetrevorproject.org