- Mark Hertling: Donald Trump's recent statements on NATO are irresponsible and dangerous
- Comments quickly take on more seismic consequences when directed to our friends and allies in Europe, he says
Retired Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling is a national security, intelligence and terrorism analyst for CNN. He served for 37 years in the Army, including three years in combat, and retired as commanding general of U.S. Army Europe and 7th Army. He is the author of "Growing Physician Leaders." The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely his.
(CNN)Donald Trump's statements suggesting his administration would place fiscal conditions on defending NATO allies are irresponsible and dangerous. And they have already sent a disruptive signal to many of our allied governments and militaries, while emboldening a paranoid, expanding and opportunistic Russia.
- CNN Opinion Contributors: Trump: A speech like no other?
- Timothy Stanley: How Donald Trump's speech sets a trap for Hillary Clinton
- Paul Begala: Trump's midnight in America
- Christiane Amanpour: Donald Trump's speech: 'America first,' but an America absent from the world
- Eric Liu: Ted Cruz gets his revenge on Trump
- David Gregory: How plagiarism flap hurts Trump
- Elaine C. Kamarck: Why did Cruz do it?
- Raul A. Reyes: Trump's missed opportunity
- Brett J. Talley: What Donald Trump needs to do Thursday
- Donna Brazile: Melania admires Michelle? What Donald should learn from that
- Errol Louis: Will Chris Christie get a second act?
- Peter Bergen: America the weak?
- Kayleigh McEnany: In a dark time, GOP offers positive vision
- Peggy Drexler: Melania, the good, the bad and the beautiful
- David Gergen: Imitating Nixon: Trump's big mistake?
- Michael D'Antonio: A Trump family production
- Reince Priebus: From Cleveland to the White House