- An Ohio teenager died from a deadly brain-eating amoeba infection on Sunday
- Infections from the amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, are rare
(CNN)A brain-eating amoeba took the life a teenager who went on a church trip in Charlotte, North Carolina, health officials said Wednesday.
What is Naegleria fowleri?
How to prevent Naegleria flowleri infections
- Limit the amount of water going up your nose. Hold your nose shut, use nose clips or keep your head above water when taking part in warm freshwater-related activities.
- Avoid water-related activities in warm freshwater during periods of high water temperature and low water levels.
- Avoid digging in, or stirring up, the sediment while taking part in water-related activities in shallow, warm freshwater areas.