- Nearly half a million children go to the ER with concussions every year
- More than 80% of children are diagnosed with concussion by pediatricians
(CNN)Every year, almost half a million (PDF) children across the United States visit emergency rooms for concussions. But recent studies find that number may undercount just how many kids really have concussions.
'We aren't looking in the right places'
When should you go to the hospital?
- if the child's mental status is deteriorating
- if the child can't carry on a coherent conversation
- if the child continues to vomit
- if their eyes aren't tracking and they can't keep their gaze on you