- Vaping accident was due to battery, mom says
- Expert says such explosions can be prevented
"[It was] like an M80 bomb went off in my mouth," Barbero told CNN affiliate WTEN
through understandably muffled speech.
Barbero's mother told WTEN she thinks the vaporizer's battery exploded. "The battery had exploded inside and everything shot out...went into his mouth and burned everything," she said.
When it comes to vaping accidents, these explosions seem to be a common thread: Earlier in May, an Alabama teen was burned
after a classmate's e-cigarette exploded and sent a hot battery flying into his face. In February 2016, dramatic gas station security footage
showed a man's leg being engulfed by flames, an apparent result of another e-cigarette explosion.
The list goes on and on, but according to a representative from the Tobacco Vapor Electronic Cigarette Association
, the occurrence is both rare and preventable.
"It's not so much an issue of the e-vapor product but with the lithium batteries they are using, and most are mismatched to the charger," TVECA's Tom Kiklas told CNN in February
If you want to vape and ensure all of your facial features stay attached, Kiklas recommends using only the batteries and charging accessories that come with or are made for the product. He also advises against putting any e-cigarette device in pockets, since coins can rub against the device and short-circuit the lithium battery.