- Many doctors know that such talks are important but aren't sure what to say
- Medicare covers "advance planning" conversations
- Only 14 percent of doctors surveyed have billed Medicare for such discussions
(CNN)Doctors know it's important to talk with their patients about end-of-life care.
- Three quarters also believe it's their responsibility to initiate end-of-life conversations.
- Fewer than one-third reported any formal training on end-of-life discussions with patients and their families.
- More than half said they had not discussed end-of-life care with their own physicians.