- Alabama representatives say articles of impeachment will be introduced against the governor
- Gov. Robert Bentley calls move "political grandstanding"
- Audio recordings from 2014 purportedly reveal Bentley engaging in sexually explicit conversations
(CNN)Alabama's governor passed on an opportunity Wednesday to address an effort by some lawmakers to impeach him amid scrutiny over recordings of a sexually explicit conversation.
How impeachment works
An apology at a prison
The back story
How states handle recalls
- 19 states plus the District of Columbia allow the recall of state officials
- There have been three gubernatorial recall elections in U.S. history -- 2012 in Wisconsin, 2003 in California and 1921 in North Dakota (which led to the ouster of the governor, the attorney general and the agriculture commissioner)
- There have been 38 recall elections to remove state legislatures. 55 % of them succeeded in unseating a sitting lawmaker
- 45% of all U.S. legislative recall elections took place between 2011 and 2013
Statistics from March 8, 2016