- This page includes the show Transcript
- Use the Transcript to help students with reading comprehension and vocabulary
- At the bottom of the page, comment for a chance to be mentioned on CNN Student News. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
- The Weekly Newsquiz tests students' knowledge of events in the news
October 16, 2015
President Obama announces a delay in the withdrawal of thousands of U.S. troops from Afghanistan. Iran shows off an arsenal of ballistic missile systems from inside a massive cave. Medical researchers look to 3D printers in the hopes that they'll add a new dimension to future health care. And a prank on a morning show sends a host scrambling from an unthreatening skunk.
On this page you will find today's show Transcript and a place for you to request to be on the CNN Student News Roll Call.
Please note that there may be a delay between the time when the video is available and when the transcript is published.
1. The United States' longest-running war, which began in October of 2001, is being fought in what other country?
2. Name the virus that peaks in January and February, affecting between 5 and 20 percent of people in the U.S.
3. In what ancient city would you find the holy site known to Jews as Temple Mount and to Muslims as Noble Sanctuary?
4. In what year did civil war break out in Syria, eventually leading to a conflict with international involvement?
5. In what country has American Jason Rezaian, a Washington Post reporter, been held prisoner for more than a year?
6. A report by Dutch investigators concluded that a missile brought down a Malaysia Airlines passenger plane over what European country?
7. What kind of massive device, which is currently under construction in southern China, would allow researchers to detect signals from outer space?
8. What is the only animal known to have an odd number of "whiskers"?
9. How many U.S. candidates from the Democratic Party gathered in Las Vegas for a prime-time debate on Wednesday?
10. Following a U.S. announcement yesterday, 9,800 American troops are now expected to remain in Afghanistan through what year?
CNN Student News is created by a team of journalists who consider the Common Core State Standards, national standards in different subject areas, and state standards when producing the show.
For a chance to be mentioned on the next CNN Student News, comment on the bottom of this page with your school name, mascot, city and state. We will be selecting schools from the comments of the previous show. You must be a teacher or a student age 13 or older to request a mention on the CNN Student News Roll Call!
Thank you for using CNN Student News!