Recipe: Tasty Tots
Popular Choice Winner from "Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes" provided by the USDA's Team Nutrition.
- 5 cups fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, coarsely shredded
- 2 1/3 cups canned low-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas), with liquid
- ½ cup fresh green onions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Place shredded potatoes on a large baking pan sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 °F for 20 minutes or until slightly tender. Do not overcook.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 °F.
- In a food processor or blender, purée garbanzo beans, including the liquid, until smooth.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine shredded sweet potatoes, puréed garbanzo beans, green onions, vegetable oil, salt, garlic, pepper, onion powder, and cinnamon. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 40-45 minutes to make tots easier to form.
- Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, roll 36 tots. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Lightly flatten the tops of the tots with a spoon or a fork. Bake at 400 °F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown. Serve hot.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes Amount: Makes 36 Tots (serving size: 6 tots, which provide 3/8 cup red/orange vegetable and 3/8 cup other vegetable).
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories 172, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrate 28 g, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Vitamin A 12609 IU (630 RAE), Vitamin C 13 mg, Iron 1 mg, Calcium 46 mg, Sodium 377 mg.