Recipe: Squish Squash Lasagna
Top 30 recipe from "Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes" provided by the USDA's Team Nutrition.
- ¼ tsp canola oil
- ¾ cup fresh onions, peeled, diced
- 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 8 Whole-wheat lasagna sheets, no-boil, 3 ½ inch x 7 inch sheets
- 1 ¼ cups fresh spinach, julienne cut "shoestring strips" 1/8 inches
- 22 slices fresh butternut squash, peeled, seeded, sliced ¼ inch (1 medium)
- ¾ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, low moisture, part skim, shredded (3 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Heat canola oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, oregano, thyme, and basil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ½ cup water. Mix well.
- Divide sauce into 3 equal parts (about ¾ cup each) and set aside for step 6.
- Place pasta sheets in a bowl filled with hot water for 5 minutes. Remove sheets as needed to assemble lasagna.
- Spray bottom and sides of an 8" x 8" nonstick baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 4 lasagna sheets overlapping, covering the bottom of the pan
- Cover evenly with about ¾ cup tomato sauce
- Spread half of the spinach (about ¾ cup) evenly over sauce
- Place 11 slices of squash on top of spinach, slightly overlapping
- Repeat layering steps 1-4
- Cover with remaining sauce (about ¾ cup)
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 °F for 50 minutes or until squash is fork-tender.
- Remove lasagna from oven. Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Bake uncovered for 5 minutes or until cheese melts and browns slightly.
- Remove lasagna from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 6 even pieces. Serve hot.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour 35 minutes Amount: Makes six servings (One piece provides ½ oz equivalent meat alternate, 5/8 cup red/orange vegetable, 1/8 cup other vegetable, and ¾ oz equivalent grains).
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories 175, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrate 29 g, Dietary Fiber 5 g, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 8 mg, Vitamin A 9103 IU (456 RAE), Vitamin C 18 mg, Iron 1 mg, Calcium 149 mg, Sodium 83 mg.