Recipe: Green Rice, Eggs and Ham
Top 30 recipe from "Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes" provided by the USDA's Team Nutrition.
- 1 ¾ cups brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
- 1/3 tsp salt
- ¾ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
- 5 large whole eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup extra-lean turkey ham, diced ¼ inch (2 oz)
- ¼ cup fresh green onions, diced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- Combine brown rice and 4 ½ cups water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add salt to rice. Mix well. Set aside. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of brown rice and water.
- Drain water from spinach by squeezing thawed spinach with hands. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and 1 Tbsp water.
- Cook half of the eggs in a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Remove eggs from skillet to cool. Chop cooled eggs and set aside. Reserve the remaining eggs for step 6.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add ham and cook for 2 minutes or until ham begins to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add brown rice and toss to mix. Add remaining eggs. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until egg is fully cooked.
- Add green onions, spinach, chopped egg, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Stir well. Cook until thoroughly heated. Serve hot.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour Amount: Makes six 1-cup servings (1 cup provides ½ oz equivalent meat/meat alternate, 1/8 cup dark green vegetable, and 1 ½ oz equivalent grains).
Nutrients Per Serving:
Calories 238, Protein 9 g, Carbohydrate 35 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 74 mg, Vitamin A 1961 IU (120 RAE), Vitamin C < 1 mg, Iron 1 mg, Calcium 53 mg, Sodium 313 mg.