(CNN)Tuesday's wreck in Southern California is a reminder of the potentially fatal combination of trains and cars.
- Never race a train to the crossing.
- Be aware that trains are often closer and faster moving than you think.
- Know that trains cannot stop quickly.
- Never drive around lowered gates.
- Don't get trapped on the tracks.
- If you stall on a track with a train coming, get out and run in the same direction the train is traveling to avoid being hit by debris.
- Go to a designated crossing when you need to cross tracks.
- Always expect a train.