- Mormon leaders call rare press conference in Salt Lake City
- They pledge support for anti-bias laws for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people
- Leaders say in return they want the laws to protect the rights of religious groups as well
(CNN)In at least one big and bruising culture-war battle, the Mormon church wants to call a partial truce.
- The mayor of Houston subpoenaing sermon notes last year from pastors who opposed an equal rights ordination. The subpoena was later dropped.
- Public pressure on a Mormon gymnast to step down as an Olympic liaison in 2011 because he had supported California's Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage in 2008.
- In 2014, Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich was forced to resign because he had donated money to support the passage of Prop 8.