Matthew McConaughey out of 'Magic Mike' sequel

Story highlights

  • Matthew McConaughey won't appear in the "Magic Mike" sequel
  • The director confirmed the news in an interview with IndieWire
  • McConaughey has a scheduling conflict that prevents him from joining the movie
Channing Tatum's "Magic Mike" sequel has lost one of its star players.
Matthew McConaughey, who played Dallas in 2012's male stripper movie "Magic Mike," isn't returning for the upcoming "Magic Mike XXL," director Gregory Jacobs confirmed in an interview with IndieWire.
Tatum, the film's star, producer and co-writer, mentioned in April that he believed the entire cast would return. But McConaughey is currently filming the Gus Van Sant drama "The Sea of Trees," and filming for "XXL" officially begins at the end of the month.
According to Jacobs, the absence of McConaughey's Dallas is just one way that "XXL" will be unique from the first film.
"It's a road trip movie, and put it this way: It's different enough that once you see it you'll understand why we made a sequel," Jacobs said. "No one will be accusing us of making the same movie twice."
Matt Bomer and Joe Manganiello will be reprising their roles, and Jacobs noted that there are still new cast members to come. While fans may have their own casting wish lists, so does actor Tatum.
On "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" last week, Tatum said he originally wanted "Guardians of the Galaxy" star Chris Pratt to appear in the first film, but scheduling conflicts got in the way. As for Zac Efron, who's reportedly expressed interest in being in the film, Tatum admitted the younger actor does have the sex appeal. "Of course, who wouldn't (want to see him)? I want to see Zac naked," Tatum quipped.
"Magic Mike," which is loosely based on Tatum's own experience as an exotic dancer, performed well in the summer of 2012, earning roughly $113 million domestically.
"Magic Mike XXL" is set to release July 1, 2015.