Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Cici Bellis: Teen sensation shines at U.S. Open

By Tom McGowan, CNN
updated 9:44 AM EDT, Wed August 27, 2014
American teenager Cici Bellis is inelligible for prize money at the U.S. Open as she is still an amateur.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • 15-year-old Catherine "Cici" Bellis win her first ever grand slam match
  • Bellis defeats 12th seed Dominica Cibulkova in the U.S. Open first round
  • The junior world No. 2 was given a wildcard after winning the U.S. national championships
  • Bellis plays Kazakhstan's Zarina Diyas in the second round

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- After shocking the tennis world at the U.S. Open, teen sensation Catherine "Cici" Bellis has set her sights on Ellen DeGeneres' couch.

The 15-year-old stunned 12th seed Dominica Cibulkova with a 6-1 4-6 6-4 triumph in her first grand slam match, becoming the youngest winner of a U.S. Open tie since Anna Kournikova in 1996.

As is the custom for breakout U.S. sport stars, a talk show appearance is likely to be never far away -- and Bellis knows which host she wants to be sat opposite.

"I love Ellen," Bellis, ranked 1,208th in the world, told reporters. "I think I would want to go on Ellen."

Althea Gibson's Tennis legacy
Ana Ivanovic fights to regain number 1 status

The youngest player to feature at a grand slam for nine years, Bellis had never previously played a WTA Tour match.

But the junior world No. 2 was given a wildcard at Flushing Meadows after winning the U.S. national championships earlier this month.

The San Francisco-born Bellis shone on the big stage, brushing Australian Open finalist Cibulkova aside in the opening set before battling back from a break down to clinch the decider.

Bellis was backed by a partisan crowd on Court Six, including some friends who helped roar her to a famous victory.

Next up for Bellis is a second round contest with Kazakhstan's Zarina Diyas.

U.S. Open by the numbers
Becker: Reaction to coaching job surprised me

"I went into the match thinking it was going to be such a great experience, but I never thought I would come out on top winning," explained Bellis, who is home schooled so she can focus on her tennis.

"I had like four friends that started some of the chants. I was like, 'Oh, my God.' I loved it. It made me play even better."

A first round win at this year's U.S. Open comes with a check for $60,000, not that Bellis will be able to cash in.

Her status as an amateur means she is unable to claim winnings, but Bellis is in no rush to turn pro.

"I think I'm definitely going to stay an amateur right now to keep my options open for college, in case an injury or something happens," she said. "But I'd love to be a pro one day."

Read: Kvitova up and running in New York

Read: "I'm burning like a volcano"

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:52 AM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014
As a player he was as fiery as his hair -- and as Novak Djokovic's coach, Boris Becker says he has to battle to keep his emotions in check.
updated 7:02 AM EDT, Wed August 20, 2014
Tennis great Boris Becker says he was stunned by the level of criticism he received after being appointed as Novak Djokovic's coach.
updated 7:01 AM EDT, Fri July 25, 2014
"I didn't cry once when I practiced in front of the mirror," says Martin Emmrich. But the nerves kicked in when he got down on one knee on court.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
When Agnieszka Radwanska refused to look her opponent in the eye after losing at Wimbledon, it raised more than eyebrows.
updated 9:14 PM EDT, Sun June 22, 2014
It's 10 years since a teenage Maria Sharapova became the darling of Wimbledon's hallowed Center Court, launching herself as a star.
Rafael Nadal is still the "King of Clay" -- but his crown has slipped a bit, says CNN's Will Edmonds.
updated 3:46 AM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
He's regularly voted France's favorite famous person, but many of the nation's youth have "no idea" about his glorious sporting past
updated 7:59 PM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
British tennis player Elena Baltacha won 11 ITF Pro Circuit titles during her 16-year playing career.
The Ukrainian-born, British tennis star loses fight against liver cancer, just a few weeks after revealing that she was battling the disease.
updated 11:55 AM EDT, Tue April 29, 2014
Five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis has followed her mom into a coaching role, setting up a new tennis academy in Barcelona, Spain.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Suisse's Belinda Bencic returns the ball to France's Alize Cornet during the second match of the Fed Cup first round tennis tie France vs Switzerland on February 8, 2014 at the Pierre de Coubertin stadium in Paris. AFP PHOTO / KENZO TRIBOUILLARD (Photo credit should read KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP/Getty Images)
It's no easy matter becoming a world class tennis player. It's even harder when everyone (really -- everyone) is calling you the "new Martina Hingis."
updated 10:20 AM EDT, Wed April 2, 2014
At the 2009 Australian Open, French men's tennis was the talk of the town.
updated 2:00 PM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - APRIL 14: Rafael Nadal of Spain sails a boat during day two of the ATP Monte Carlo Rolex Masters Tennis at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 14, 2014 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Rafael Nadal may be most at home on a clay tennis court, but he has always found comfort on the sea.