Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Within black families, hard truths told to sons amid Ferguson unrest

By Michael Martinez, Stephanie Elam and Erica Henry, CNN
updated 12:09 AM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The Ferguson, Missouri, riots renew painful talks parents give young sons
  • Fatal shootings of young black men complicates how families raise a son
  • 'I stress to him his appearance is important,' dad tells son, 15
  • 'Why should I be afraid to walk down the street?' teen asks

(CNN) -- From parent to son, uncle to nephew, grandparent to grandson, there's a raw, private conversation being re-energized in America in the wake of violence in Ferguson, Missouri.

It's an intimate lecture that most Americans won't know, but parents like Kelli Knox of Southern California know it too well because it begins the loss of their children's innocence and exposes them to a painful national truth that's increasingly become a matter of life or death.

As challenging as parenting is, black families in particular are assuming more burdens: At kitchen tables and in living rooms, they hold honest talks with their boys about how life can be different for them and what they ought -- and ought not -- to do in public, especially near police.

10 rules for surviving police encounters
Trayvon Martin's dad: 'It takes me back'
What black parents tell their sons

Think twice about wearing a hoodie. Pull up your pants. Shut your mouth around police. Swallow your pride. Don't drive with more than three friends. And keep your hands where they can be seen.

These are just a few examples of the rules that parents tell their young black sons -- and sometimes daughters -- about how to stay safe. Though stark and blunt, the admonishments follow a trend of violence that touches upon the most fiery issue in America: race.

The 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin, the 2013 police shooting of a North Carolina man who was apparently seeking only help and this week's riots against Ferguson police -- these sensational cases all involve shooting victims who were unarmed, young black men.

My son knows he could be Trayvon

"I've had this conversation with my son since middle school on how to behave," said Knox, 46, of Inglewood, California. "When the police come, this is what you do. This is how you speak to them. Do not get into a power struggle. Listen to them. If they are trying to give you a ticket, get the ticket. Because it's not worth it. It's just not worth it."

A 'sad' day and time

Whether at reunions, picnics, or the mall, families and friends make it a point to apprise sons, nephews or grandsons of what Knox calls "the rules of engagement" for young black men when they encounter police or other figures of authorities.

Robert Spicer tells his eldest child, Crishawn, 15, to be aware of even how he dresses.

"I stress to him his appearance is important, the way he conducts himself, the way he talks to people," said Spicer, 44, a tow truck driver who lives Los Angeles.

His wife, Lashon, 42, said the California couple worry about their four children every day.

"You don't know what's going to happen between dropping them off and them coming home," she said.

Isaiah Paysinger, 15, (right) with brother Zion, 14
Isaiah Paysinger, 15, (right) with brother Zion, 14

Brent Paysinger, a Church of God in Christ pastor in south Los Angeles, and his wife, Andrea, constantly urge caution with son Isaiah, 15.

"Basically you have to separate yourself in this day and time. It's sad but it's true. They profile you just by first appearances," Andrea Paysinger said.

Raising Black Children in America
On the streets in Ferguson
Police name cop who shot Michael Brown

Such talks have taken on greater urgency in the wake of the Ferguson police shooting and killing of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown last week, one expert said. Witnesses say Brown was holding his hands in the air when he was fatally shot.

The hashtags #IGotTheTalk and #IGaveTheTalk trended on Twitter this week, with parents and children sharing on social media when they had such tough conversations.

"Here we go again" was the reaction of education expert Steve Perry about the Ferguson incident.

"We have another instance in what an African-American man loses his life because of something that seems like it went awry," Perry said.

As a principal of a nationally recognized magnet school in Connecticut and an African-American father, Perry said it's important for parents to explain to youths the expediency of just getting home safely.

"If you have a black son, and you're not taking the time to explain to him what he needs to do when he's out in the streets, how he needs to dress and how he needs to act and explain to him that he actually does have a target on his back -- then you are not doing your job as a parent," Perry said.

Kelli Knox and son Joseph
Kelli Knox and son Joseph

Other experts say other minority families should hold such a talk with their children.

"The bottom line is we are living in a post-Trayvon Martin, post-Zimmerman trial world, and any parent of color -- Latino or African-American parent -- must have these conversations with their children. It is just really reality," said Sonny Hostin, a former federal prosecutor and legal commentator. "It is the same conversation I think that many parents have about stranger danger; the same conversation that parents have with their children about look both ways before you cross the street."

A case study

Perry recalled how he, too, was racially profiled by police. He offered the account as a case study in how black youths should respond in such scenarios.

"When the police pull you over, you have to do everything you can do to mitigate the situation to lower the level to just get home," Perry said. "I've been in that situation myself. I was riding home with my wife and kids and I had a hoodie on and I guess I was driving something nice, that I shouldn't have been driving faster than the police thought I should've been driving, and I was pulled over and the police officer got real slick. He said some things to me that I thought were completely inappropriate.

"I said absolutely nothing. I looked forward. I made no fast movements. I did everything I could to just get my family home," Perry said.

Perry later complained to the officer's boss and received a written apology, he said.

Perry blamed a broad trend for the way young black men are treated.

"Black males are criminalized from the time we enter the 'system,' and I'm talking about school," Perry said. "From the time children enter the system, African-American males are the most suspended, most punished of any group. Period."

How children react

The guidance can be difficult for youngsters to swallow.

Crishawn Spicer, a 15-year-old high school sophomore (left), with siblings Kaila, 3, Cameron, 12, and Kyle, 5.

"I think sometimes I am an African-American man, young man, why should I be afraid to walk down the street and get discriminated against because of the color I am, or the way I am dressed or the way I look?" said Crishawn Spicer, 15.

Not too surprisingly, the boys may not fully appreciate their parents' caution.

Sometimes, they accept it sheepishly.

"My parents really care about me. That's what they are there for," said Isaiah Paysinger, 15. "Some stuff, me being a teenager, I think they are too overbearing on, but this is for my safety. And with this whole situation, the young man who got killed, I see why."

Knox's son, Joseph, who's now 26, declined to be interviewed by CNN at first. The subject was too emotional, and he suggested that sometimes his mother may be worrying too much.

Then he changed his mind about the interview.

"I think she has a right to worry. She's a little bit too worried, but I don't blame her," Joseph Knox said.

Trim, athletic, sporting a type of goatee known as the balbo, Joseph Knox said he is a law-abiding working professional. He's a technician in the hyperbaric chamber at the University of California, Los Angeles.

The parental talks, he now says, are "very necessary."

"I don't look like trouble. I don't dress like it. I went to college and graduated, and I still have problems like the next kid," Joseph Knox said.

In one example, he was outside his house with his girlfriend when police asked him what he was doing.

"I'm clearly talking to my girlfriend and he says, 'Why don't you go crip walk back up into your house,'" he said.

He said nothing, though his initial response was to "go back and forth with him," he said.

"They want to provoke you but ... my mom and my family told me and taught me how to deal with them," Joseph Knox said. "A kid who maybe didn't have the same kind of family, he's going to go argue with the police like it was the next man and that's where trouble comes.

"It helps to have parents or family to give you an education on how to deal with that stuff," Joseph Knox said.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 2:40 PM EDT, Thu October 30, 2014
Trick-or-treating and dressing in costume have been Halloween traditions for a good long time now, but it seems we're still struggling to get it right.
updated 4:38 PM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
Yes, there's actually corn in it. Corn syrup, if that counts.
updated 10:09 AM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
We don't know, and may never know, what led to the Washington school shooting, but we have to ask ourselves, following this tragedy, if we are doing enough to help our boys deal with difficult emotions without resorting to violence.
updated 7:01 PM EDT, Wed October 29, 2014
The viral video of a New York woman being catcalled on the street has men asking, "So, what should I do?" The answer starts with respect.
updated 2:28 PM EDT, Tue October 28, 2014
Walmart found itself sending apology tweet after apology tweet after the Twitterverse raked it over the coals for a major goof on its website.
updated 4:02 PM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
There aren't too many times when I'm speechless about what I consider an outrageous example of parenting. This is one of those times.
updated 7:57 AM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
Holy crap, LeVar Burton.
updated 5:38 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Critics pounced on supermodel Gisele Bundchen for advocating a little mommy "me time" recently. When did it become a crime to admit that you -- as a parent -- put yourself first?
updated 12:21 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Sally Kohn says a video of little girls dressed as princesses using the F-word very loudly to condemn sexism is provocative. But is it exploitative?
updated 4:27 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Not again.
updated 12:41 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
"Breaking Bad's" drug-dealing chemistry teacher Walter White will have to stop making the sale at Toys R Us.
updated 4:06 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
I happen to agree with Renee Zellweger that all the chatter about her face is "silly." But I, and many other women I talked with via email Wednesday, would add some other choice words to the mix to describe the non-stop attention about her appearance: nasty, cruel, hurtful, invasive and sexist.
updated 6:06 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
I have long thought millennials, who expect flexibility in the workplace, would be the group that would bring an end to the stigma that is too often associated with flex time -- the belief that wanting a flexible work arrangement means you aren't willing to work as hard. But now I'm thinking it's going to be men who will get us there.
updated 7:40 AM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Say it with us: Kids today have it sooooo easy.
updated 2:29 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
An Atlanta judge reportedly reprimanded an immigration attorney for bringing her 4-week-old to court for a hearing -- a hearing she asked the judge to reschedule because she was on her six-week maternity leave.
updated 4:18 PM EDT, Mon October 20, 2014
Monica Lewinsky tweeted for the first time. She called herself "patient zero" of cyber-bullying.
updated 3:43 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Meet Shyanne Roberts, a 10-year-old competitive shooter with something to prove: "Kids and guns don't always mean bad things happen."
updated 9:50 AM EDT, Mon October 20, 2014
strawberry ghosts
We love Halloween season. Sweets. Sweaters. Sipping hot cider (maybe spiked). Halloween can certainly get you in the spirit, and nothing warms our hearts like these healthy Halloween treats that help you stay energized instead of stuck in a sugar coma.
updated 3:23 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Does your baby cry during long flights, causing you to want to disappear from the glares of fellow passengers?
updated 10:52 PM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
Ask any teen if they suffer from social media anxiety and they would probably tell you no. But the truth is getting "likes" and the fear of missing out are adding stress to teens' lives.
updated 9:13 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
Many photographers have taken it upon themselves to document stillborn and terminal babies' precious moments after birth.
updated 3:46 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
As part of the insurance coverage offered to its female employees, Facebook is paying to freeze their eggs.
updated 2:15 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Amal Alamuddin was well-known in many important circles long before she snagged the world's most eligible bachelor. But Amal Alamuddin is now Amal Clooney, according to her law firm's website.
updated 12:42 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Trends in young adult fiction have shifted from wizards to glittering vampires to bloodthirsty "Hunger Games" and now, to teens coping with illnesses and realistic issues.
updated 8:56 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Before he died this year, 14-year-old Martin Romero wanted to do something for his community.
updated 6:33 PM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
A 12-year-old girl called Dick's Sporting Goods out on its lack of female athletes in the Basketball 2014 catalog.
updated 12:36 PM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
Before he was even born, Shane Michael Haley had already met the Philadelphia Phillies, been to the top of the Empire State Building and shared a cheesesteak with his parents.
updated 3:39 PM EDT, Fri October 10, 2014
I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I read the initial comments from Microsoft's CEO on how women who don't ask for raises will receive "good karma."
updated 10:02 AM EDT, Fri October 10, 2014
A photo series "From the NICU to the Moon" imagines premature babies in future professions with a series of imaginative doodles.
updated 1:33 PM EDT, Fri October 10, 2014
Jessica Dunne and her father Michael P. Dunne
"I don't think anyone is ready for grief. But when it hits you, it knocks you out cold," Jessica Dunne wrote after the sudden loss of her father.
updated 10:09 AM EDT, Thu October 9, 2014
Most moms will say they long for a day when moms stop criticizing one another, but most of us are guilty of tearing each other down.
updated 4:28 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
When we think of terminal cancer patients, we don't imagine Brittany Maynard -- 29, vigorous, happy. But she will soon take a handful of pills that will end her life.
updated 10:04 AM EDT, Wed October 8, 2014
"Back in my day, we used to walk five miles uphill, carrying all our books in the blistering cold and the pouring rain..." Some schools have found a new way to making walking to school safer -- and more fun.
cnn, parents, parenting, logo
Get the latest kid-related buzz, confessions from imperfect parents and the download on the digital life of families here at CNN Parents.