Skip to main content

Rory McIlroy targeting career grand slam at Augusta

By CNN Staff
updated 7:05 AM EDT, Mon August 11, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rory McIlroy thrilled with U.S. PGA Championship win
  • McIlroy already targeting success at 2015 Masters
  • He could become fourth player to win three consecutive majors
  • Win at Augusta would give him a career grand slam

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- Success just keeps on coming for Rory McIlroy, but the world's No. 1 golfer is already targeting more.

McIlroy became the first player since Padraig Harrington in 2008 to win back-to-back majors Sunday as he claimed the U.S. PGA Championship just three weeks after getting his hands on the British Open.

The 25-year-old battled back from a poor start to his final day at Valhalla to card a three-under-par 68 and finish one shot clear of second-placed Phil Mickelson.

The victory -- the second time McIlroy has captured the Wanamaker Trophy -- means he has now won three straight tournaments, having also triumphed at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational last week.

The Northern Irishman, though, has already turned his attention to claiming a fifth major at the Masters next year -- the only one missing from a career grand slam collection.

After a disappointing 2013, and then the breakup of his long-term relationship with tennis star Caroline Wozniacki, McIlroy is now firmly focused on achieving his golfing goals.

"I've realized this year that we only have one go at this, we only have a certain time span as a career," he said.

"Golf careers are typically longer than other sporting careers but there's only a certain window, and every tournament you don't win is a missed opportunity."

Augusta was the scene of his final-day collapse in 2011 in which he dropped a four-shot lead to ultimately finish 10 strokes off the pace.

Tiger Woods misses cut at 2014 PGA
PGA: Rory roars, Tiger crashes out
One-on-one with Rory McIlroy

"I didn't want to go to Augusta next year having not won this," McIlroy told CNN after Sunday's victory in near darkness after a weather delay.

"I wanted to go to Augusta with four major championships, and I want to go to Augusta next year trying to win five and trying to win the career grand slam.

"I've refocused and I've rededicated myself and this is important to me. This is my career and I want to make the most of it."

McIlroy will also be hoping to join an elite club by winning three consecutive majors.

Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods are the only professional golfers to have achieved such a feat, but McIlroy is confident he has what it takes to join the trio of golfing greats.

"Going to Augusta next year, trying to complete the career grand slam for a start, and then trying to complete the third leg (winning three straight majors) -- I'm going to go to Augusta next year with a lot of expectation and a lot of hype, and one thing that I need to do is try to handle those," he said.

"I know Augusta is a good course for me and I have to beat the same guys that I beat this week, and I have to try and beat the same guys that I try and beat week-in, week-out.

"That gives me a lot confidence, knowing that I can handle this sort of pressure down the stretch of a major, and that gives me a lot of confidence going into Augusta next year."

Read: McIlroy wins PGA Championship after dramatic finale

Read: Rory on top of the world... again

Read: McIlroy shares tears with his mum

Part of complete coverage on
updated 6:29 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
"Sleep, as far as mental and physical recovery goes, has never been more important ..." says sport sleep coach Nick Littlehales.
updated 5:24 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Joe Miller is devouring his second steak of the day and the clock has barely nudged 2pm. You need lots of fuel to smash a drive 474 yards.
updated 10:49 AM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
There have been many dark days for Oliver Wilson, but golf's unluckiest loser is finally riding an upward swing of his career roller coaster.
updated 12:48 PM EDT, Tue October 7, 2014
They dress like it's the 1930s and they swing antique equipment that eschews cutting-edge technology -- this is hickory golf.
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.