Skip to main content

Rory McIlroy targeting career grand slam at Augusta

By CNN Staff
updated 7:05 AM EDT, Mon August 11, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rory McIlroy thrilled with U.S. PGA Championship win
  • McIlroy already targeting success at 2015 Masters
  • He could become fourth player to win three consecutive majors
  • Win at Augusta would give him a career grand slam

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- Success just keeps on coming for Rory McIlroy, but the world's No. 1 golfer is already targeting more.

McIlroy became the first player since Padraig Harrington in 2008 to win back-to-back majors Sunday as he claimed the U.S. PGA Championship just three weeks after getting his hands on the British Open.

The 25-year-old battled back from a poor start to his final day at Valhalla to card a three-under-par 68 and finish one shot clear of second-placed Phil Mickelson.

The victory -- the second time McIlroy has captured the Wanamaker Trophy -- means he has now won three straight tournaments, having also triumphed at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational last week.

The Northern Irishman, though, has already turned his attention to claiming a fifth major at the Masters next year -- the only one missing from a career grand slam collection.

After a disappointing 2013, and then the breakup of his long-term relationship with tennis star Caroline Wozniacki, McIlroy is now firmly focused on achieving his golfing goals.

"I've realized this year that we only have one go at this, we only have a certain time span as a career," he said.

"Golf careers are typically longer than other sporting careers but there's only a certain window, and every tournament you don't win is a missed opportunity."

Augusta was the scene of his final-day collapse in 2011 in which he dropped a four-shot lead to ultimately finish 10 strokes off the pace.

Tiger Woods misses cut at 2014 PGA
PGA: Rory roars, Tiger crashes out
One-on-one with Rory McIlroy

"I didn't want to go to Augusta next year having not won this," McIlroy told CNN after Sunday's victory in near darkness after a weather delay.

"I wanted to go to Augusta with four major championships, and I want to go to Augusta next year trying to win five and trying to win the career grand slam.

"I've refocused and I've rededicated myself and this is important to me. This is my career and I want to make the most of it."

McIlroy will also be hoping to join an elite club by winning three consecutive majors.

Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods are the only professional golfers to have achieved such a feat, but McIlroy is confident he has what it takes to join the trio of golfing greats.

"Going to Augusta next year, trying to complete the career grand slam for a start, and then trying to complete the third leg (winning three straight majors) -- I'm going to go to Augusta next year with a lot of expectation and a lot of hype, and one thing that I need to do is try to handle those," he said.

"I know Augusta is a good course for me and I have to beat the same guys that I beat this week, and I have to try and beat the same guys that I try and beat week-in, week-out.

"That gives me a lot confidence, knowing that I can handle this sort of pressure down the stretch of a major, and that gives me a lot of confidence going into Augusta next year."

Read: McIlroy wins PGA Championship after dramatic finale

Read: Rory on top of the world... again

Read: McIlroy shares tears with his mum

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:51 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
It's a big dilemma: Be with your wife for the birth of your first child, or stay at work and try to earn $11 million. For Billy Horschel, it's a no-brainer.
updated 7:40 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
She's just 19 but Hyo Joo Kim is already showing she's ready for the big time after recording the lowest ever round at a major championship.
updated 1:06 PM EDT, Wed September 10, 2014
Masters champion Bubba Watson says winning the $10 million FedEx Cup jackpot would bring forward his retirement from the game.
updated 7:31 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
EVIAN-LES-BAINS, FRANCE - SEPTEMBER 15: A view of the 14th green during the third round of The Evian Championship at the Evian Resort Golf Club on September 15, 2013 in Evian-les-Bains, France. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
The world's top women golfers will be chasing a $3.25 million prize purse at one of the most stunning courses on the LPGA Tour.
updated 8:19 AM EDT, Wed September 3, 2014
Tom Watson selects Keegan Bradley, Hunter Mahan and Webb Simpson as his wildcard picks for the Ryder Cup contest with Europe.
updated 9:52 AM EDT, Tue September 2, 2014
Ian Poulter kept Europe clinging on in their Ryder Cup battle with the United States in Chicago.
Ian Poulter, who has constantly haunted the U.S. in Ryder Cup golf, is back after being chosen as a wildcard by European captain Paul McGinley.
updated 11:40 AM EDT, Mon August 25, 2014
Tiger Woods has split with his longtime coach Sean Foley after not winning a major during their four-year tenure.
updated 7:05 AM EDT, Mon August 11, 2014
Success just keeps on coming for Rory McIlroy, but the world No. 1 is already targeting more titles following his second PGA Championship win.
updated 10:24 AM EDT, Fri August 8, 2014
From Seve's "spine-shivering" moment to Jack Nicklaus' "perfect explosion," David Cannon has captured many of golf's defining images.
updated 9:20 AM EDT, Thu August 7, 2014
They came home as casualties of war -- physically shattered and mentally broken. But golf is proving to be an unlikely salvation for U.S. veterans.
updated 8:31 AM EDT, Tue August 5, 2014
You are the one hitting the shots, but the man standing over your shoulder could hold the key to your golfing destiny.
updated 8:27 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
PINEHURST, NC - JUNE 10: Rory McIlroy (R) of Northern Ireland talks with his dad Gerry McIlroy (L) during a practice round prior to the start of the 114th U.S. Open at Pinehurst Resort & Country Club, Course No. 2 on June 10, 2014 in Pinehurst, North Carolina. (Photo by Andrew Redington/Getty Images)
He has been there for all three of his son's major wins, but the latest triumph may well have been the sweetest yet for Rory McIlroy's father.