Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Serena Williams fighting fit after Wimbledon illness scare

updated 1:28 PM EDT, Tue July 29, 2014
Serena Williams is starting her preparations to capture a third straight U.S. open title in New York in August.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Serena Williams returns to action after being hit by illness at Wimbledon
  • The 17-time grand slam champion had to retire from doubles match
  • She says she is back to full health and was surprised by the commotion
  • Williams to face the Czech Republic's Karolina Pliskova on Wednesday

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- It was one of the most disturbing sights Wimbledon has witnessed.

Serena Williams, a 17-time grand slam champion, disorientated, unsteady on her feet and unable to serve properly on Court No. 1.

Her doubles match alongside sister Venus lasted just three games, with Serena unable to get the ball over the net when it was her turn to serve.

But now, as she prepares to return to action at the WTA's Stanford tournament, the 32-year-old says the commotion caused by her viral illness had taken her by surprise.

Read: Serena retires with illness

Serena Williams drops out of Wimbledon
Serena Williams' best move?
Serena Williams' inner circle

"They just said I was really ill, and really under the weather and I just wasn't doing very well," Williams told reporters prior to the Bank Of The West Classic in California about her turn at Wimbledon.

"I was really scared after because I didn't realize how I felt until later and it's just, you know, 'Serena, keep your time, you will have the rest of your life to keep playing tennis hopefully.'

"I heard a lot of the response weeks and weeks later because I didn't leave my house or my bed for a few days.

"But by the time that happened when I read or heard about it from other people I was just like, 'Oh really, I already moved on.' I was working out and starting to try to play again."

Williams will take on the Czech Republic's Karolina Pliskova on Wednesday saying she feels "very good" but that she will have more medical tests once the season has finished.

Her sister Venus suffers from Sjogren's syndrome, a poorly understood autoimmune disorder that causes joint pain and can deplete energy levels.

Serena skipped a tournament in Sweden after her Wimbledon illness but is now focusing on preparation ahead of the U.S. Open.

She has won the title at Flushing Meadows two years in a row and needs to claim a hat-trick next month to avoid a first season without a slam title since 2011.

"After Wimbledon I stayed around in Europe because I was going play in Bastad, and I feel so bad about not being able to play there," she said.

"I ended up going on what I called 'vacation,' which is like when you have fun in the sun but you practice in the day, in the morning. I tried to practice very early so I can have fun later."

Venus is in action on Tuesday, facing Poland's Paula Kania, while the standout clash sees the No. 5 seed -- Ana Ivanovic, take on Sabine Lisicki, from Germany.

Read: Serena suffers early exit

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:48 AM EDT, Thu September 11, 2014
French Tennis player Rene Lacoste, one of France's 'Four Musketeers' who won the Davis Cup in 1932, at Wimbledon. He is wearing his embroidered crocodile motif. Original Publication: People Disc - HH0434 (Photo by Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)
His distinctive crocodile logo is seen on clothing all over the world, but Rene Lacoste also left a lasting legacy in the development of tennis.
updated 2:36 AM EDT, Tue September 9, 2014
Marin Cilic follows in the footsteps of his coach Goran Ivanicevic by claiming a grand slam crown for Croatia, winning the U.S. Open.
updated 9:34 AM EDT, Sun September 14, 2014
Serena Williams of the US holds the US Open trophy after defeating Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark during their US Open 2014 women's singles finals match at the USTA Billie Jean King National Center September 7, 2014 in New York. AFP PHOTO/Stan HONDA (Photo credit should read STAN HONDA/AFP/Getty Images)
Serena Williams is without peer in the modern women's game and now she is on a par with two American tennis legends from the past.
updated 9:21 AM EDT, Tue September 2, 2014
American tennis player and golfer Althea Gibson (right) receives a kiss from compatriot Darlene Hard, whom she beat in two sets to become the first black woman to win the Women's Singles Finals at Wimbledon.
Over the course of her remarkable life, Althea Gibson was many things to many people -- but it was tennis where she really left her mark.
updated 7:45 AM EDT, Wed August 27, 2014
Canada and tennis? Really? Yup. The North American tennis power balance is swinging away from the States.
updated 8:52 AM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014
As a player he was as fiery as his hair -- and as Novak Djokovic's coach, Boris Becker says he has to battle to keep his emotions in check.
updated 7:02 AM EDT, Wed August 20, 2014
Tennis great Boris Becker says he was stunned by the level of criticism he received after being appointed as Novak Djokovic's coach.
updated 7:01 AM EDT, Fri July 25, 2014
"I didn't cry once when I practiced in front of the mirror," says Martin Emmrich. But the nerves kicked in when he got down on one knee on court.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
When Agnieszka Radwanska refused to look her opponent in the eye after losing at Wimbledon, it raised more than eyebrows.
updated 9:14 PM EDT, Sun June 22, 2014
It's 10 years since a teenage Maria Sharapova became the darling of Wimbledon's hallowed Center Court, launching herself as a star.
updated 3:46 AM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
He's regularly voted France's favorite famous person, but many of the nation's youth have "no idea" about his glorious sporting past
updated 11:55 AM EDT, Tue April 29, 2014
Five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis has followed her mom into a coaching role, setting up a new tennis academy in Barcelona, Spain.