Jos, Nigeria (CNN) -- Nigerian authorities said they have five suspects in custody Sunday after a wave of attacks over the weekend in the city of Kano.
Five people were killed and eight others injured when an explosive device was lobbed over a wall in Kano's predominantly Christian Sabon Gari district. The attack occurred as parishioners exited St. Charles Catholic Church following Sunday services, according to Nigerian police force spokesman Frank Mba.
Mba said three suspects have been arrested "for their complicity in the attacks."
A suicide attack occurred earlier in the day at another location in Kano. A woman detonated a bomb after police stopped her and sent for a policewoman to come perform a search, according to Mba. Five officers were injured in that attack, which killed the bomber.
In a third incident, authorities were tipped off to an explosive-laden car parked near the Isyaku Rabiu mosque in another section of the city Saturday evening. Kano police spokesman Magaji Musa Majia said the bomb squad was able to successfully defuse a remote-controlled improvised explosive device discovered in its trunk. Mba said two suspects have been arrested and were being interrogated Sunday night.
Hassan John reported from Jos; Aminu Abubakar reported from Kano. CNN's Nana Karikari-apau contributed to this report.