(CNN) -- Authorities in New Orleans have caught the man they say fired the first shot in a deadly exchange of gunfire last weekend in the city's French Quarter, police said Friday.
An arrest warrant was issued Friday morning for Trung Le -- a 20-year-old from nearby Belle Chasse, Louisiana -- on one count of first-degree murder and nine counts of attempted first-degree murder, police said.
Police Officer Hilal Williams told CNN by e-mail early Friday evening that police officers and U.S. Marshals had apprehended Le.
Authorities have not named any additional suspects in the case besides Le, Williams added.
The shooting took place about 2:45 a.m. Sunday on the 700 block of Bourbon Street, a popular gathering place for tourists and revelers who pack bars and clubs between St. Peter and St. Ann streets and often spill into the streets.
Authorities announced Wednesday that 21-year-old Brittany Thomas died of her wounds from that shooting. Nine others were wounded.
After the incident, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu appealed for help to combat violence in his city. Specifically, he asked President Barack Obama to send a "targeted surge team" of federal law enforcement officers to help stem crime and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal to assign 100 state police officers to the city and rededicate a penny from the hotel/motel tax from the convention center to the city for public safety.
"These kinds of incidents will not go unanswered," Landrieu has said. "These perpetrators will be brought to justice."
Earlier this week, homicide detectives interviewed a 20-year-old man in connection with the shooting -- but it wasn't Le.
Justin Odom was interviewed with his attorney present, according to police.
The 20-year-old was arrested and booked on unrelated traffic and shoplifting charges by police in nearby Gretna.
Williams told CNN on Friday that Odom was then released.
CNN's Ed Payne, Ralph Ellis and Tina Burnside contributed to this report.