Skip to main content

Benghazi killings suspect Abu Khatallah pleads not guilty in U.S.

By Evan Perez, CNN
updated 8:20 PM EDT, Sat June 28, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Ahmed Abu Khatallah was moved to a detention center in northern Virginia
  • Abu Khatallah and others are charged in a criminal complaint in federal court
  • An FBI-led team has been interrogating Abu Khatallah aboard the USS New York
  • He is suspected of being the ringleader of the September 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya

Washington (CNN) -- Ahmed Abu Khatallah, the man the U.S. accuses of being the ringleader in the deadly 2012 attack on the American diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, pleaded not guilty Saturday during a brief appearance in federal court in Washington.

Abu Khatallah, with long graying hair and a beard, spoke quietly in Arabic with a translator as he was charged with one count of providing material support to terrorists. A federal grand jury returned a single-count indictment Thursday in connection with attacks that killed four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens.

Standing before U.S. Magistrate Judge John M. Facciola, Abu Khatallah appeared subdued and briefly looked around the nearly full courtroom. Wearing a dark gray hooded track suit and sandals, the defendant addressed the court only once to say his name in a barely audible voice.

Abu Khatallah was appointed a public defender, Michele Peterson, who entered a not guilty plea. He was ordered to remain in custody until hearings set for July 2 and July 8.

"Now that Ahmed Abu Khatallah has arrived in the United States, he will face the full weight of our justice system," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said. "We will prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, the defendant's alleged role in the attack that killed four brave Americans in Benghazi."

Abu Khatallah was indicted by a federal grand jury on a charge of "conspiracy to provide material support and resources to terrorists, knowing and intending that these would be used in preparation for and in carrying out a killing in the course of an attack on a federal facility, and the offense resulted in death," according to Holder's statement.

The single count is part of a legal strategy by federal prosecutors, who plan to file additional charges later, according to U.S. officials. The aim is to delay releasing to the public and Abu Khatallah's lawyer the FBI affidavit detailing the evidence the government has against him.

The investigation is ongoing and the Justice Department can bring additional charges, the statement said.

An earlier criminal complaint in July 2013 said the FBI believed it had evidence to charge him with murder and firing a weapon at the scene of the Benghazi attacks. Those additional charges, if formally added, could bring the death penalty.

In his court appearance, Abu Khatallah, a Libyan national who the government said is about 43, requested consular assistance from the Libyan government. U.S. authorities were working with Libyan embassy officials in Washington to provide him the assistance.

He had been interrogated aboard the USS New York after being captured earlier this month. Though he was interrogated both before and after he had been advised of his Miranda rights, he provided information to interrogators after being advised of those rights, a U.S. official told CNN.

On Saturday, he was flown by helicopter from the ship, an amphibious transport dock, to the nation's capital and driven to the federal courthouse.

After the hearing, Abu Khatallah was taken away under armed guard from the federal courthouse in downtown Washington, a few blocks from the U.S. Capitol and near the White House.

He was then moved to the detention center in Alexandria, Virginia, which is across the Potomac River from the capital.

Authorities say Abu Khatallah is among the senior leaders of Ansar al Sharia, whose members were among several militias that participated in the attacks on U.S. government facilities in Benghazi on September 11-12, 2012.

Benghazi suspect arrives in Washington
Attackers set the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, on fire on September 11, 2012. The U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other U.S. nationals were killed during the attack. The Obama administration initially thought the attack was carried out by an angry mob responding to a video, made in the United States, that mocked Islam and the Prophet Mohammed. But the storming of the mission was later determined to have been a terrorist attack. Attackers set the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, on fire on September 11, 2012. The U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other U.S. nationals were killed during the attack. The Obama administration initially thought the attack was carried out by an angry mob responding to a video, made in the United States, that mocked Islam and the Prophet Mohammed. But the storming of the mission was later determined to have been a terrorist attack.
Attack on U.S. mission in Benghazi
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
>
>>
Photos: Attack on U.S. mission in Benghazi Photos: Attack on U.S. mission in Benghazi

The attacks spawned a political controversy in the United States because some Republican lawmakers claim the Obama administration tried to mislead the public about them and should have done more to prevent them. The GOP critics say they plan to make Benghazi an issue for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, under whose watch the attacks occurred, should she decide to run for president.

The criminal investigation led by the FBI has been extraordinarily challenging, authorities say, in part because lack of Libyan government control in the city prevented investigators from visiting the crime scene for weeks.

U.S. officials, however, say they collected surveillance video, phone eavesdropping and witness statements to bring charges against Abu Khatallah and others involved. They are charged in a criminal complaint in federal court in Washington.

Abu Khatallah became the face of the militant attack, and a top target for the U.S., after he cultivated a celebrity profile in the wake of the attacks, meeting with journalists and granting interviews. He denied to CNN's Arwa Damon that he participated in the attacks.

U.S. military commandos captured Abu Khatallah in a nighttime raid June 15-16. U.S. intelligence assets concocted a ruse to lure him to a villa where the Americans surprised him. The commandos, accompanied by several FBI agents, came ashore by boat and quickly took him away. He remained on the USS New York, undergoing questioning by a team from the FBI-led High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group, until he was taken to court on Saturday.

Timeline of the Benghazi attack

What's next for Benghazi terror suspect?

Benghazi 'mastermind' captured without a single shot

CNN's Ray Sanchez contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
Attack on U.S. compound in Benghazi
updated 1:21 PM EDT, Wed August 7, 2013
September 11, 2012, in America was a day of solemn remembrance. In Libya, it was a day of violence that ended with four Americans killed.
updated 4:52 PM EDT, Wed June 18, 2014
Now that he is in custody, what will U.S. officials do with alleged Benghazi mastermind Ahmed Abu Khatallah?
updated 10:10 PM EDT, Tue June 17, 2014
Benghazi attack suspect Ahmed Abu Khatallah was watched by U.S. commandos, law enforcement and intelligence for days before his capture.
updated 11:13 AM EDT, Sat September 15, 2012
U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens died in an assault on the American Consulate in Benghazi.
updated 1:15 AM EDT, Sat September 15, 2012
Former Navy SEAL commandos working as diplomatic security officers and a computer expert were among the victims of the deadly Benghazi attack.
updated 1:04 AM EDT, Wed August 7, 2013
Four Americans were lost on September 11, 2012. Erin Burnett talks to the families of the victims of Benghazi attack.
updated 11:07 PM EST, Wed January 15, 2014
A report says the deadly attack in Benghazi was "likely preventable" based on known security shortfalls and prior warnings that the security situation there was deteriorating.
updated 10:04 PM EST, Fri November 15, 2013
CIA contract security officers who responded to the attacks on the U.S. ambassador in Benghazi were told by the CIA to sign nondisclosure agreements, a congressional source told CNN.
updated 1:00 AM EDT, Wed August 7, 2013
Could the Benghazi attack have been prevented? And why didn't the U.S. military respond in time? John King reports.
updated 4:18 PM EDT, Tue August 6, 2013
Erin Burnett talks to Geoff Porter about why there wasn't enough manpower in Benghazi prior to the attack.
updated 11:27 AM EDT, Fri May 9, 2014
Republicans call it a government cover-up similar to what forced Richard Nixon to resign. Democrats call it a right-wing conspiracy theory.
updated 1:23 PM EDT, Wed August 7, 2013
Benghazi remains a flashpoint in Washington for two very different reasons: indefensible pre-attack policy decisions and irresistible post-attack politics.
Nine months later, there were no leads, no significant arrests and a shroud of fear hanging over conversations about the U.S. consulate.
updated 1:20 AM EDT, Wed August 7, 2013
CNN's Erin Burnett takes us through the night four Americans lost their lives in a terror attack in Benghazi, Libya.
updated 1:33 PM EDT, Tue June 17, 2014
Arwa Damon returned to Libya and spoke to a Libyan militia leader who is now charged in the Benghazi attack.
updated 11:35 AM EDT, Wed August 7, 2013
Federal authorities have filed the first charges related to the terror attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi.
updated 5:02 PM EDT, Sat June 21, 2014
Here's a look at what you need to know about the September 11, 2012 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya.
updated 5:42 PM EDT, Wed June 18, 2014
Attackers set the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, on fire on September 11, 2012.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT