Skip to main content

Israeli authorities identify the suspects in teens' kidnapping

By Shelby Lin Erdman, CNN
updated 11:35 PM EDT, Thu June 26, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The Israel Security Agency names suspects in teens' kidnapping
  • ISA says "Hamas activists" are to blame
  • The three teenagers disappeared from the West Bank on June 12
  • Netanyahu calls on Abbas to take action

(CNN) -- The Israel Security Agency released the identities of two suspects in the kidnapping of three teenage boys from Jewish settlements in the West Bank two weeks ago.

"The Israel Security Agency established less than a day after the kidnapping ... that Hamas was believed to be behind the June 12 abduction, the ISA said in a statement Thursday

"Hamas activists from Hebron," Marwan Kawasmeh, 29, and Amar Abu-Isa, 32, were behind the abductions, the intelligence agency said.

Both men have been arrested by Israeli security forces before, according to an ISA news release. Kawasmeh served a 10-month prison sentence.

House to house search for missing teens
Israeli PM says Hamas abducted 3 teens
Photo of three missing Israeli settlers the IDF says were kidnapped in the West Bank. Gilad Shaer, Naftali Frenkel and Eyal Yifrach.
Photo of three missing Israeli settlers the IDF says were kidnapped in the West Bank. Gilad Shaer, Naftali Frenkel and Eyal Yifrach.

"In his most recent investigation, in 2010, (Kawasmeh) admitted to having been recruited to the Hamas military wing in the Hebron area in 2009," ISA said. Abu-Isa was detained several times between 2005 and 2007.

Lt. Col. Peter Lerner of the Israel Defense Forces said Thursday that both men have "a history of terrorist activity" and both were "suspects immediately after the kidnapping."

The three teenagers, Gilad Shaar and Naftali Frenkel, both 16, and Eyal Yifrach, 19, were last seen around Gush Etzion, on the Israeli side of the West Bank barrier late on June 12 or early on June 13, according to the IDF.

After the release of the suspects' identities, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu responded with a comment directed at Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

"I now expect President Abbas ... to break his pact with the Hamas terrorist organization that kidnaps children and calls for the destruction of Israel."

Previously Abbas had condemned the kidnappings and called on all sides to refrain from violence, according to an Israeli newspaper report earlier this month.

Netanyahu blamed Hamas for the kidnappings almost immediately. A Hamas spokesman said in the days after the abductions that Netanyahu's comments attributing blame were "stupid and baseless."

Israeli security forces have conducted an extensive search for the teens. Within days after the teens' disappearance, Israeli soldiers had detained more than 150 Palestinian suspects. The military said Hamas leaders and operatives were among the suspects.

As the search for the two suspects continues, the IDF and ISA said Thursday several other suspects are also being questioned "for their personal involvement of the attack."

CNN's Ben Wedeman and Michael Schwartz contributed to this report

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
updated 10:27 AM EDT, Wed July 23, 2014
Hamas' tactics have changed -- now the group is using commando-like tactics, says CNN's Ben Wedeman.
updated 4:53 PM EDT, Tue July 22, 2014
CNN's Richard Quest speaks to Malaysia Airlines' Hugh Dunleavy about how the airline industry needs to react to MH17.
updated 4:42 PM EDT, Thu July 24, 2014
From Maastricht to Melbourne, and baroque theaters to block-long warehouses, these stores make bookish travelers look stylish.
updated 11:40 AM EDT, Sun July 20, 2014
Some contend that larger weapons have come into Ukraine from Russia.
updated 2:09 PM EDT, Thu July 24, 2014
A California homeowner's nightmare has become a cautionary tale for those who rent their homes to strangers.
updated 2:57 PM EDT, Wed July 23, 2014
A nun, an AIDS researcher, an athlete and a family traveling on summer vacation. These were some of the victims aboard MH17.
updated 8:21 PM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
Prince George isn't your average one year old. He started walking before he was one. Oh, and, he's going to be king -- of 16 countries.
updated 7:36 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
Former President Bill Clinton acknowledges he got "very close" to helping achieve peace in the Middle East.
updated 2:21 AM EDT, Fri July 18, 2014
In an ambitious plan to upgrade urban India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi says he will build 100 "smart cities" across the country.
updated 7:27 AM EDT, Sun July 20, 2014
Inspirational, creepy or just weird? CNN meets the 51-year-old man who dresses like a schoolgirl.
CNN joins the fight to end modern-day slavery by shining a spotlight on its horrors and highlighting success stories.
Browse through images from CNN teams around the world that you don't always see on news reports.
ADVERTISEMENT