Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Justin Rose bids to emulate golf legend Ben Hogan

updated 5:22 PM EDT, Tue June 10, 2014
12 months ago at Merion Justin Rose sampled the emotion of winning his first major.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Justin Rose defends his U.S. Open title at Pinehurst
  • Rose bidding to become first man for 25 years to repeat
  • Phil Mickelson looking to complete career grand slam
  • Tiger Woods ruled out through injury

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- Justin Rose is looking to repeat the feat of golfing legend Ben Hogan as he defends his U.S. Open title at Pinehurst's No.2 course this week.

Rose won his first major title at Merion and will be looking for a rare double success in North Carolina.

Hogan won both the 1950 and 1951 U.S. Opens with his initial victory at Merion.

Only Curtis Strange, 25 years ago, has completed two wins in two years in the tournament since Hogan's double triumph.

Rose admits that the Merion precedent has been on his mind as he contemplates his title defense which begins Thursday.

Rose bests Mickelson in U.S. Open
'Blessings in a Backpack'
How Justin Rose shines under pressure

"I've allowed myself that thought for sure," Rose told gathered reporters. "I feel like the U.S. Open test suits me.

"For me being defending champion, I don't even like that word, defending, because it puts you already behind the eight ball. You don't want to be out there being defensive at all."

Read: Emotional Rose shares boyhood dream

Rose heads a strong English contingent, which also includes Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter, Luke Donald and Paul Casey, all seeking an elusive first major.

A keen football fan, he nonetheless rated their collective chances of success at Pinehurst above that of England at the World Cup in Brazil.

"I would say there's probably more chance of one of us winning the major than England winning the World Cup potentially," Rose said. "So sad to say, but."

"Blind faith that England will get far in the tournament prevails, so we'll see," Rose added.

Phil Mickelson, runner-up to Rose last year, cruelly occupying that position for the sixth time at the U.S. Open believes he is capable of another strong challenge despite indifferent form this year.

"I feel as good about my game today as I have all year," Mickelson said.

Read: Injured Mickelson skips Texas Open

"It's not saying a lot, because I haven't played well all year, but last week was a good week for me. I started to slowly put it together."

His 11th placed finish at the St.Jude Classic Sunday was his best of the season, but he went into last year's British Open at Muirfield on a similar run and triumphed in style.

Masters winner Bubba Watson is also strongly tipped to challenge for his second major of the season, but believes Pinehurst's domed greens will test his patience.

"I wouldn't say unfair. I would just say they're very difficult," he said. "When I say unfriendly it's because they're trying to beat you," he added.

Former world number one Tiger Woods is sitting out his second straight major as he rehabilitates after back surgery, with Australian Adam Scott going into the week as the top-ranked player.

Read: Woods to miss Masters

Part of complete coverage on
updated 12:09 PM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
CNN's Living Golf focuses on women's golf, charting the growth of the sport from royal pastime to multi-million dollar machine.
updated 4:46 AM EDT, Wed October 1, 2014
"I don't know how to paint happy," says golf's poster girl Michelle Wie. "I think it releases a lot of the darker feelings in me."
updated 8:13 AM EDT, Mon September 29, 2014
Phil Mickelson of the United States talks during a press conference after the United States were defeated by Europe after the Singles Matches of the 2014 Ryder Cup on the PGA Centenary course at the Gleneagles Hotel on September 28, 2014 in Auchterarder, Scotland.
If you're a U.S. golf fan, or Tom Watson, look away now.
updated 7:18 PM EDT, Thu September 25, 2014
A ban on uploading social media pictures from the course at Gleneagles was dropped for the Ryder Cup.
updated 6:52 AM EDT, Wed September 24, 2014
A spot of shopping, the odd spa day and some serious flag waving. Welcome to the life of a Ryder Cup WAG.
updated 9:01 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Tom Watson has learned plenty in the 21 years since he was last U.S. Ryder Cup captain, but social media is proving to be problematic.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Patriotism will reach fever pitch when the USA and Europe collide in golf's Ryder Cup ... and it looks like Rickie Fowler has let it go to his head.
updated 9:42 AM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
Pressure is inescapable in the cauldron of Ryder Cup competition -- pressure and ping pong.
updated 7:50 AM EDT, Tue September 23, 2014
Millions of golf fans were watching on television with great anticipation. All Martin Kaymer could think about was getting his phone out.
updated 7:40 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
She's just 19 but Hyo Joo Kim is already showing she's ready for the big time after recording the lowest ever round at a major championship.
updated 7:31 AM EDT, Fri September 12, 2014
EVIAN-LES-BAINS, FRANCE - SEPTEMBER 15: A view of the 14th green during the third round of The Evian Championship at the Evian Resort Golf Club on September 15, 2013 in Evian-les-Bains, France. (Photo by Richard Heathcote/Getty Images)
The world's top women golfers will be chasing a $3.25 million prize purse at one of the most stunning courses on the LPGA Tour.