Skip to main content

Hagel: No 'solid evidence' on whereabouts of Nigeria schoolgirls

By Barbara Starr, CNN Pentagon Correspondent
updated 3:27 PM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the U.S. has some information
  • Another official said there haven't been any new leads in several days
  • More than 200 schoolgirls abducted in Nigeria last month by Boko Haram

(CNN) -- The United States has information about more than 200 schoolgirls abducted in Nigeria by the militant group Boko Haram, but no "solid evidence" on their exact whereabouts, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said in an interview with Charlie Rose.

Separately, another defense official told CNN there have been no new leads in several days, and there is "somewhat credible" information that has materialized over the past couple of weeks that the girls seized in April may have been broken up and moved across the Nigerian border, perhaps to Chad.

The official also said there have been no verified photos or satellite images that might reveal a location.

The United States deployed 80 forces to Chad to help in the search, the White House said this week. They will support intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft missions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT