- Six ships and three planes scouring Atlantic Ocean
- Four British sailors are believed to have abandoned ship Friday
- The 39-foot Cheeki Rafiki began taking on water the day before
The U.S. Coast Guard's search for four British sailors missing in the Atlantic Ocean
since late last week resumed Tuesday morning, the service said.
The Coast Guard, in a statement, said the new search involved six ships and three planes, including a Canadian C-130. The search focused on an area 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) east of Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
The 39-foot (12 meters) Cheeki Rafiki was sailing from the Caribbean to the United Kingdom last Thursday when it began taking on water, according to the yacht's managing agent.
"Unfortunately, we lost contact during the early hours of Friday morning, and we believe the crew abandoned to the life raft," Doug Innes said in a statement on Sunday.
The Royal Yachting Association
identified the missing yachtsmen as skipper Andrew Bridge, 21; Steve Warren, 52; Paul Goslin, 56; and James Male, 23.
The Coast Guard's Boston-based 1st District coordinated a multinational search of more than 4,100 square miles for the crew.
The Coast Guard said that a merchant vessel Saturday located an overturned hull that matched the description of the Cheeki Rafiki, but there was no sign of the sailors.
Innes describes the Cheeki Rafiki on his company's website as "a performance racer/cruiser and suitable for both the inshore and offshore circuit" and that she is "equipped for trans-Atlantic sailing and racing."