Skip to main content

Rutgers dismisses quarterback after assault charges

By Jill Martin and Shawn Nottingham, CNN
updated 1:28 PM EDT, Tue May 13, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: A second person is arrested
  • Quarterback Philip Nelson is dismissed from the Rutgers football team
  • He was arrested over the weekend and charged with assault
  • The assault left a man in critical condition

(CNN) -- Rutgers quarterback Philip Nelson has been dismissed from the football team, the school's coach said Tuesday.

Nelson had been arrested Sunday and charged in connection with an assault that apparently left Isaac Kolstad -- a former linebacker for Minnesota State University, Mankato -- in critical condition.

"The Rutgers football family's thoughts and prayers are with Isaac Kolstad and his family," football coach Kyle Flood said, referring to the young man whom Nelson is accused of assaulting.

Nelson, 20, faces one count of first-degree assault and one count of third-degree assault.

Authorities in Minnesota also arrested a second person in connection with the assault, a Mankato, Minnesota, city spokeswoman said.

Trevor Stenner Shelley, 21, was arrested Monday afternoon. He is charged with first- and third-degree assault.

Officers found Kolstad, who graduated in December, near a downtown intersection. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

Kolstad, 24, was in critical condition after suffering a severe head injury, his family said.

Nelson was a recent transfer to Rutgers. A native of Mankato, Minnesota, he played at the University of Minnesota, according to Rutgers' website. Nelson never played a down for Rutgers before his dismissal.

CNN's Mariano Castillo and Dana Ford contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT