Screams, tears as airline urges Flight 370 relatives to return home

    Just Watched

    Malaysia Airlines to close hotel centers

Malaysia Airlines to close hotel centers 01:42

Story highlights

  • Submersible completes 27-hour search mission, starts next one
  • Malaysia Airlines is closing relatives' support centers, urging relatives to return home
  • Relatives wail, yell after being told to go home
  • GeoResonance talks about its wreckage claim but won't give specifics on technology

Relatives of vanished Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 passengers wailed and yelled in a Beijing hotel Thursday as the airline announced it was closing the assistance centers where they'd been gathered for weeks -- effectively telling the families to go home.

The closures also will mean no more mass daily briefings for the relatives -- news that sparked a new wave of anguish and despair for the hundreds who heard it at Beijing's Lido Hotel.

"What can we do?" a relative yelled, as others kneeled in front of police who had assembled in the hotel briefing room to keep order.

"Who will find our family members?" another shouted.

The airline said the center at the Lido Hotel, where the company has hosted families since March, would close Friday. Centers elsewhere will close by May 7, it said.

    Just Watched

    Malaysia releases MH370 cockpit audio

Malaysia releases MH370 cockpit audio 02:07
PLAY VIDEO

    Just Watched

    Flight 370 family support center closes

Flight 370 family support center closes 06:19
PLAY VIDEO

    Just Watched

    Company says it found remains of plane

Company says it found remains of plane 03:06
PLAY VIDEO

    Just Watched

    Malaysian teen still tweets missing dad

Malaysian teen still tweets missing dad 02:03
PLAY VIDEO

    Just Watched

    Malaysia releases MH370 cockpit audio

Malaysia releases MH370 cockpit audio 03:19
PLAY VIDEO

"Instead of staying in hotels, the families of MH370 are advised to receive information updates on the progress of the search and investigation and other support by Malaysia Airlines within the comfort of their own homes, with the support and care of their families and friends," the airline said in a news release.

The briefing at the Lido Hotel came on the day that the Malaysian government released its preliminary report on the plane's March 8 disappearance.

    The hotel has been an important hub of information for relatives in China. More than 100 passengers on the plane are Chinese.

    The airline said it would open different "family support centers" in Beijing and Malaysia's capital; it wasn't immediately clear what those centers would do.

    'People started to break down'

    Sarah Bajc, the American partner of Flight 370 passenger Philip Wood, said she was one of about 500 people at Thursday's Lido Hotel meeting.

    The briefing began with the airline's CEO making a seven-minute statement in English by video, Bajc said. Most of the relatives didn't understand the message until a Chinese translation was given afterward, she said.

    "That's when people started to break down," she said.

    Bajc said she left the room, saying the scene started to feel tense.

    "I could hear a lot of yelling. Some of the police officers that were outside went in, and they started to file family members out through a separate exit," she told CNN's "New Day."

    Calm was restored when Chinese officials continued the briefing and ensured the families that the search would continue, and that the relatives wouldn't be forgotten, a CNN crew outside the briefing room reported.

    Bajc said Chinese relatives previously told her they dreaded the day that the hotel centers would close, fearing they wouldn't get timely updates at their rural homes.

    "They are very distraught, because the average Chinese family member will be sent home to mostly a very rural place with limited access to (the) Internet, and they just feel like all lines of communications will be cut," she said.

    Airline to begin compensation payments

    The airline also said Thursday it would begin making advance compensation to the Flight 370 passengers' next of kin, to help with their immediate economic needs.

    Under an international treaty known as the Montreal Convention, the airline must pay relatives of each deceased passenger an initial sum of around $150,000 to $175,000. Relatives of victims can also sue for further damages.

    The airline didn't say how much of an advance the families would receive.

      Just Watched

      MH370 partner: I hope it's not the plane

    MH370 partner: I hope it's not the plane 04:01
    PLAY VIDEO

      Just Watched

      Co.: MH370 search began in wrong place

    Co.: MH370 search began in wrong place 02:02
    PLAY VIDEO

      Just Watched

      Interview with Malaysian Prime Minister

    Interview with Malaysian Prime Minister 04:49
    PLAY VIDEO

    "Such advanced payments will not affect the rights of the next-of-kin to claim compensation according to the law at a later stage, and will be calculated as part of the final compensation," the airline's news release said.

    Report: Four-hour gap before official search began

    The news of the hotel center closures came on the day the Malaysian government publicly released the initial report on the plane's disappearance -- the report that it initially sent to the to the International Civil Aviation Organization, the U.N. body for global aviation.

    The report said officials apparently didn't notice for 17 minutes that the flight had gone off radar -- and didn't activate an official rescue operation for four hours.

    Relatives told CNN that Malaysian authorities e-mailed the interim report -- which contained both text and audio -- late Thursday.

    Meanwhile, the Bluefin-21 undertook what was one of its longest, most extensive missions to search the depths of the southern Indian Ocean for signs of the missing aircraft.

    Michael Dean, deputy supervisor of salvage and diving for the U.S. Navy, said the submersible's 17th mission lasted 27 hours and descended to 5,000 meters.

    "It was a pretty successful mission in terms of what they covered," Dean said.

    The Navy official noted that Australia's government has asked the U.S. Navy to extend its role in the search by a week or more -- a request that is under review.

    The Bluefin later moved onto its 18th mission, after which -- assuming no wreckage is found -- it should return to port on its host ship, the Ocean Shield, to refuel, according to Dean.

    GeoResonance defends Bay of Bengal claim

    Meanwhile, the private company that says it may have found plane wreckage in the Bay of Bengal defended its claim, even though it wouldn't detail the technology it used.

    GeoResonance said it used spectral analysis from satellite and plane images to reach its conclusion about the Bay of Bengal site.

    The company said it conducted "large scale remote sensing" and detected the presence of aluminum, titanium and copper. Scientists went back to test for other elements that the company says make up a commercial jet.

    GeoResonance has faced questions about how it could have found wreckage deep underwater, thousands of miles from the official search area.

    "What we say to those people is that that is not about technology, that is about the fact that an object or a combination of objects which produce exactly the same signal as materials used in a plane are detected," GeoResonance Managing Director Pavel Kursa told CNN's Anna Coren.

    The company said its search was self-funded and it wants to keep intellectual property private.

    "Our technology comprises of 20 different technologies, and a lot of it is very valuable intellectual property," director David Pope said. "And we are not in the business of just giving out intellectual property for nothing."

    Analyst: Experts don't support claim

    The company said its analysis was done by a team of its scientists in Europe. But GeoResonance declined to name the scientists or the country they worked in and declined to give a reason.

    CNN aviation expert Miles O'Brien said GeoResonance's claims are not supported by experts.

    "My blood is boiling," he told CNN's "New Day." "I've talked to the leading experts in satellite imaging capability at NASA, and they know of no technology that is capable of doing this. I am just horrified that a company would use this event to gain attention like this."

    Nevertheless, the company got its wish Wednesday, when Bangladesh sent two navy vessels into the Bay of Bengal to the location cited by GeoResonance.

    The chief coordinator of the international search effort, Australian Angus Houston, held out little optimism that any such search would prove fruitful. He told Sky News International that the search area in the Indian Ocean had been set based on pings believed to have come from one or both of the plane's voice and data recorders.

    "The advice from the experts is that's probably where the aircraft lost power and, somewhere close to that, it probably entered the water," he said.

    But some aviation experts said officials have little choice but to look into the company's claim.

    "The investigators are going to be hard-pressed to blow this off," said Mary Schiavo, a former inspector general for the U.S. Department of Transportation. "I think at this point, because of the lack of results where they've been searching for six weeks, they're almost stuck. They have to go look."

    Searchers dispute company's claim that it may have found aircraft wreckage

    Is GeoResonance on to something?

    Plane audio recording played for first time to Chinese families

        Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

      • nr intv moni basu husbands quiet suffering flight 370_00020822.jpg

        His wife never came home from her flight on MH370, and now K.S. Narendran is left to imagine the worst of possible truths without knowing.
      • This handout photo taken on April 7, 2014 and released on April 9, 2014 by Australian Defence shows Maritime Warfare Officer, Sub Lieutenant Ryan Penrose watching HMAS Success as HMAS Perth approaches for a replenishment at sea while searching for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean. Two fresh signals have been picked up Australian ship Ocean Shield in the search for missing Malaysian flight MH370, raising hopes that wreckage will be found within days even as black box batteries start to expire.

        Was the sound of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 striking the water captured by ocean devices used to listen for signs of nuclear blasts?
      •  A crew member of a Royal New Zealand Airforce (RNZAF) P-3K2-Orion aircraft helps to look for objects during the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in flight over the Indian Ocean on April 13, 2014 off the coast of Perth, Australia. S

        What was believed to be the best hope of finding the missing plane is now being called a false hope. Rene Marsh explains.
      • Caption:A Chinese relative of passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 uses a lighter as she prays at the Metro Park Hotel in Beijing on April 8, 2014. The hunt for physical evidence that the Malaysia Airlines jet crashed in the Indian Ocean more than three weeks ago has turned up nothing, despite a massive operation involving seven countries and repeated sightings of suspected debris. AFP PHOTO/WANG ZHAO (Photo credit should read WANG ZHAO/AFP/Getty Images)

        Involved parties, including the manufacturer Boeing, are bracing for a long public relations siege.
      • The painstaking search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 got a vote of confidence Friday that the effort is headed in the right direction, but officials noted that much work remains.
Credit: 	CNN

        Official: The four acoustic pings at the center of the search for Flight 370 are no longer believed to have come from the plane's black boxes.
      • INDIAN OCEAN (April 14, 2014) -- Operators aboard ADF Ocean Shield move U.S. Navy's Bluefin-21 into position for deployment, April 14. Using side scan sonar, the Bluefin will descend to a depth of between 4,000 and 4,500 meters, approximately 35 meters above the ocean floor. It will spend up to 16 hours at this depth collecting data, before potentially moving to other likely search areas. Joint Task Force 658 is currently supporting Operation Southern Indian Ocean, searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. (U.S. Navy video by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Peter D. Blair/RELEASED)

        The underwater search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane will effectively be put on hold this week, and may not resume until August at the earliest.
      • Movie-makers say they have recruited leading Hollywood technicians to bring their experience to mid-air flight sequences.

        Movie-makers in Cannes have announced they're making a thriller based on the disappearance of Malaysian flight MH370.
      • The search for the missing Boeing 777 has gone on for eight weeks now. CNN's David Molko looks back at this difficult, emotional assignment.