Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

The photo shoot that changed a teen's life

By Kelly Wallace, CNN
updated 8:38 PM EDT, Fri May 9, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Photographer Jennifer Loomis felt the photos of foster children didn't do them justice
  • She and another photographer convened a free photo shoot to capture better photos
  • Deon, 16, was one of seven foster children who took part in the special shoot
  • Nearly 400,000 children were in foster care as of November 2013

Editor's note: Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering family, career and life. She is a mom of two. Read her other columns and follow her reports at CNN Parents and on Twitter.

(CNN) -- At 16, Deon just about stopped dreaming.

The teen, born and raised mainly in Yakima, Washington, has been in and out of foster care since he was 5. Every time it looked like he might finally be adopted and find a permanent home, his hopes were dashed.

"You start to feel numb and depressed," said Deon, admitting that last year he "kind of gave up" ever thinking a family would want him.

"You lose hope ... and you think ... I have a few more years to go of this. What's going to happen to me?" he said during an interview.

At 18, children in foster care essentially age out of the system. State agencies might offer them services such as job skills training or help building resumes, but they ultimately need to find a way to take care of themselves.

"It's pretty frightening for them because they really are just pretty much on their own," said Amber Louis, Recruitment and Outreach Specialist for the Northwest Adoption Exchange in Seattle.

An idea is born

Jennifer Loomis hoped the photos she took would make a difference.
Jennifer Loomis hoped the photos she took would make a difference.

While Deon was giving up, Jennifer Loomis, an acclaimed maternity and family photographer, was getting curious.

A friend of hers had adopted a child. Since she and her boyfriend of four years didn't have any kids, she thought they should consider adopting as well.

So, she went online, visiting sites that showcased children to adopt.

"I was so blown away by how bad the photos were that I thought, 'Oh my God, these photos don't show these kids at all,' " said Loomis. "I can't get a sense of who these kids are."

READ: Teen orphan's impassioned speech: 'Adopt me'

CNN anchor opens up about adoption
U.S. children being adopted overseas
World's untold stories: Adopting Africa

As someone who tries to give back to her community as much as possible, Loomis thought surely she could carve out a couple of days to do a free photo shoot to create better pictures for the children.

"And so I sent an e-mail that night ... I said, 'Hi, this is really random but I'm a photographer in Seattle and I was looking through your site and I really feel like you guys need better photos,' " she told me with a laugh, remembering the directness of her note.

Amber Louis of the Northwest Adoption Exchange received Loomis' e-mail and jumped at the opportunity.

"I see so many kids with photos that just don't do them justice," said Louis.

"I think any photo that we can put together that shows their personality a little bit more is really helpful. ... I think it also increases the likelihood that an adoptive parent is going to stop and take a look when they are just scrolling through the pages of photos."

Strike a pose

Loomis teamed up with another photographer, Rocky Salskov, and received donations from friends and clients, including food, balloons, even a small trampoline, to use for the photo shoot.

The goal? To show the "sensitive, vulnerable side of these kids," said Loomis.

"I wanted photos where you could look into their eyes and see into their soul a little bit better, where you could be like, 'Wow, Deon, what a guy,' " she said.

When you give a person a chance ... you are basically saving a life.
Deon on the power of adoption

READ: International adoptions decline as number of orphans grows

Deon was one of seven children in foster care, from age 9 through 17, chosen for the two-day photo shoot.

"I got really into it. I started posing, and there was one part where they had the trampoline there and that was so fun. You jump up in the air and strike a pose," he said. "It was really, really cool."

Louis said she had targeted kids like Deon who she thought needed new photos. "You just cross your fingers and hope that ... a photo will catch (someone's) eye and they'll inquire."

'A burning thing in my heart'

Joanna Church of Oak Harbor, Washington, which is on Whidbey Island, remembers being at a church service as a young girl, and hearing about how children are less likely to be adopted as they get older and how older children in foster care are at greater risk for homelessness and incarceration once they age out of the foster care system.

Mother, daughter reunite after 36 years
Transracial adoption creates challenges
Russian adoption ban devastates couple

They are also at greater risk of unemployment, pregnancy and suffering from poor health, according to research.

"And so from a really young age ... it just was a burning thing in my heart that I just knew it was something I wanted to do someday," said Church, who works with the Canadian National Defense and helps military families living on Whidbey Island.

After trying for some time to have biological children, Church approached her husband, Sean Vaillancourt, a sonar operator for the Canadian Navy, with the idea of adopting an older child in the foster care system.

Vaillancourt remembers feeling unsure about whether they should take such a life-changing step.

READ: Bringing Richard home, the story of a crowd-funded adoption

"I was nervous going into it because you just don't know what you're about to get ... like, 'Am I going to be borrowing trouble? Am I going to be a good father?' " said Vaillancourt.

After thinking about how much they had in their lives and how much they could give back, he decided to go forward but remained anxious.

CNN\'s Kelly Wallace learned about the unique photo shoot for foster children last summer.
CNN's Kelly Wallace learned about the unique photo shoot for foster children last summer.

Sparkly, happy eyes

With her husband's support, Church headed online to look for children hoping for a home.

She saw Deon's picture on a different website and went right past it, she said. 'It wasn't a good picture. It was grainy. ... It did not capture me at all."

But when she saw Deon on the Northwest Adoption Exchange website, which showcased the pictures that Loomis and Salskov had taken, she stopped.

"You saw ... personality in the face, like you saw it coming off the page, and it was enough to get us to stop and open that profile and look at it, and want to get to know Deon better," said Church.

When I asked her what she saw in those pictures, she said Deon's "sparkly happy eyes."

OPINION: Why adoption jokes hurt

Amber Louis remembers the phone call.

"When I heard that there was this family interested, I kept my fingers and toes crossed," she said.

Photographer Loomis, who is due to give birth in July, smiled when she heard the news. "This is exactly what I hoped for even though I wasn't sure it would happen. Photographs can be really powerful when they are authentic and genuine."

Joanna and Sean expect their adoption of Deon to become final next week.
Joanna and Sean expect their adoption of Deon to become final next week.

When Deon learned a family was interested in him, he was excited but his guard remained up.

"I thought it was too good to be true because I've had that happen to me where I'd go for a little bit and then I'd come back, and so the fact that somebody actually wants me is pretty cool."

In October, Deon moved into Joanna and Sean's home and then they started the process of adopting him. They expect his adoption to become final next week and are planning a big family party to celebrate. Joanna and Sean are also helping Deon get Canadian citizenship, because they will be moving to Victoria, British Columbia in August.

No matter where they live, they say they are committed to making sure Deon remains connected with his biological family, including a great grandmother who has been his primary care provider throughout this life.

"They've really given me a new look on life," said Deon, referring to Joanna and Sean. "Instead of feeling just like that I'm all alone, I actually feel like I have somebody there for me."

"I think that's the most rewarding thing is just trying to be there for somebody else," said Vaillancourt.

Raising awareness

Church has become a passionate advocate for children in foster care, hoping her story will help raise awareness about how many kids are waiting for homes and how life-changing adoption can be for them.

As of November of last year, there were nearly 400,000 children in the United States in foster care.

Stay in touch!
Don't miss out on the conversation we're having at CNN Living. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest stories and tell us what's influencing your life.

"There's just such a need, there (are) just so many great kids out there," she said.

READ: Overseas adoptions rise -- for black American children

To people who might be afraid to adopt an older child thinking they will come with grown-up issues to contend with, Church argues that biological children come with big question marks, too.

"Well, you just don't know what kind of kid you're going to get," she said people tell her. "And my response is always, you (don't) know what kind of kid you're going to get when you birth them."

Saving a life

For Church's husband, the experience is all about giving a kid a chance.

"We've all had our chances, from our parents, from somebody looking out for us, and these (kids) have nobody looking out for them," said Vaillancourt.

Before the couple decided to adopt Deon, he didn't do that well in school and thought the military might be his only option. Now his grades are up, and he's running track for his high school, learning to drive, getting excited to travel to Canada and thinking about other careers, including one in the military.

"We get the privilege of helping a kid discover who he is, what he likes, what his strengths are and what he can be truly passionate about in life," said Church in a follow-up e-mail.

When you give someone a chance, it can change their life forever, Deon said.

"They could actually play a part in the community and do something with (themselves), rather than end up in jail or even worse, dead," he said.

"You are basically saving a life."

Would you consider adopting an older child? Chime in below in the comments or tell Kelly Wallace on Twitter and CNN Living on Facebook.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:10 AM EST, Wed November 26, 2014
If it hasn't happened already, it likely will at some point: the moment you don't like one of your child's friends. What do you do?
updated 6:50 AM EST, Tue November 25, 2014
They say the first step to overcoming a problem is realizing you have one in the first place. An online quiz can help you determine whether you are over-reliant on your cell phone.
updated 9:52 AM EST, Mon November 24, 2014
Options for meat substitutes have come a long way since Seth Tibbott's first few Thanksgivings as a vegetarian in the 1970s.
updated 4:12 PM EST, Sat November 22, 2014
Students unhappy with school meals are taking it out on the first lady by sharing images on social media of lunches sarcastically tagged #ThanksMichelleObama.
updated 9:55 PM EST, Sun November 23, 2014
A Louisiana family is fighting to protect its beloved pit bull from a "vicious dogs" ordinance.
updated 5:20 PM EST, Fri November 21, 2014
November is National Adoption Awareness Month. CNN's Michaela Pereira grew up in a family of five adopted girls in Canada and eventually reunited with her biological half-sister.
updated 2:39 PM EST, Thu November 20, 2014
It began for Nickolay Lamm as a question: What would Barbie look like if she had the dimensions of an average woman?
updated 9:16 PM EST, Wed November 19, 2014
Bill Cosby was thought of as a perceptive comedian and genial father figure. Now, that persona pairs with another, much darker image.
updated 12:35 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
If you think 'my teen would never sext,' you might be mistaken. Recent studies suggest it's more common than many parents might want to admit.
updated 6:44 AM EST, Fri November 14, 2014
I pictured myself graduating from college, getting a cool job and even having a cute place of my own. Instead, I wake to the early-morning sounds of my family dog barking and my parents making coffee downstairs.
updated 12:38 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Samantha Futerman and Anais Bordier tease, poke and prod each other like they've grown up together, but they didn't. Neither woman knew she had an identical twin sister until less than two years ago.
updated 9:02 AM EST, Thu November 13, 2014
A school district in Maryland has decided to remove all references to religious holidays from its school calendar, leaving some in the community frustrated.
updated 12:06 PM EST, Thu November 13, 2014
Female veterans often have a harder time finding employment than their male counterparts. But why?
updated 3:19 PM EST, Fri November 14, 2014
I simply couldn't believe my eyes. At a children's party this year, I witnessed full-on "mean girl" behavior.
updated 12:24 PM EST, Mon November 10, 2014
Several children were sent to the hospital after being sickened by ingesting detergent pods.
updated 9:46 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
There are plenty of times when I literally wish I could take a hammer to the portrayal of girls and women in the media. In a new ad, a little girl gets to do just that.
updated 10:09 AM EST, Sat November 8, 2014
"Playing doctor" and "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" are common rites of passage in childhood sexual behavior, according to the experts.
updated 3:12 PM EST, Thu November 6, 2014
A tech startup claims credit for making Alex from Target go viral, but there's skepticism about how involved it was, if at all.
updated 5:47 PM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
A soft toy for cribs lets babies post pictures of themselves to social media.
updated 11:55 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Schools are increasingly confronting a controversial question: Should they do more to monitor students' online interactions off-campus to keep them safe?
updated 11:56 AM EST, Thu November 6, 2014
The National Toy Hall of Fame recently inducted three new favorites into its hallowed halls. What's your favorite?
updated 10:09 AM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
We don't know, and may never know, what led to the Washington school shooting, but we have to ask ourselves, following this tragedy, if we are doing enough to help our boys deal with difficult emotions without resorting to violence.
updated 7:01 PM EDT, Wed October 29, 2014
The viral video of a New York woman being catcalled on the street has men asking, "So, what should I do?" The answer starts with respect.
updated 2:40 PM EDT, Thu October 30, 2014
Trick-or-treating and dressing in costume have been Halloween traditions for a good long time now, but it seems we're still struggling to get it right.
updated 4:38 PM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
Yes, there's actually corn in it. Corn syrup, if that counts.
updated 2:28 PM EDT, Tue October 28, 2014
Walmart found itself sending apology tweet after apology tweet after the Twitterverse raked it over the coals for a major goof on its website.
updated 4:02 PM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
There aren't too many times when I'm speechless about what I consider an outrageous example of parenting. This is one of those times.
updated 7:57 AM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
Holy crap, LeVar Burton.
updated 5:38 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Critics pounced on supermodel Gisele Bundchen for advocating a little mommy "me time" recently. When did it become a crime to admit that you -- as a parent -- put yourself first?
updated 12:21 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Sally Kohn says a video of little girls dressed as princesses using the F-word very loudly to condemn sexism is provocative. But is it exploitative?
updated 4:27 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Not again.
updated 12:41 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
"Breaking Bad's" drug-dealing chemistry teacher Walter White will have to stop making the sale at Toys R Us.
updated 4:06 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
I happen to agree with Renee Zellweger that all the chatter about her face is "silly." But I, and many other women I talked with via email Wednesday, would add some other choice words to the mix to describe the non-stop attention about her appearance: nasty, cruel, hurtful, invasive and sexist.
updated 6:06 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
I have long thought millennials, who expect flexibility in the workplace, would be the group that would bring an end to the stigma that is too often associated with flex time -- the belief that wanting a flexible work arrangement means you aren't willing to work as hard. But now I'm thinking it's going to be men who will get us there.
updated 7:40 AM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Say it with us: Kids today have it sooooo easy.
updated 2:29 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
An Atlanta judge reportedly reprimanded an immigration attorney for bringing her 4-week-old to court for a hearing -- a hearing she asked the judge to reschedule because she was on her six-week maternity leave.
updated 11:04 AM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Monica Lewinsky tweeted for the first time. She called herself "patient zero" of cyber-bullying.
updated 3:43 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Meet Shyanne Roberts, a 10-year-old competitive shooter with something to prove: "Kids and guns don't always mean bad things happen."
updated 9:50 AM EDT, Mon October 20, 2014
strawberry ghosts
We love Halloween season. Sweets. Sweaters. Sipping hot cider (maybe spiked). Halloween can certainly get you in the spirit, and nothing warms our hearts like these healthy Halloween treats that help you stay energized instead of stuck in a sugar coma.
updated 3:23 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Does your baby cry during long flights, causing you to want to disappear from the glares of fellow passengers?
updated 4:14 PM EST, Thu November 20, 2014
Ask any teen if they suffer from social media anxiety and they would probably tell you no. But the truth is getting "likes" and the fear of missing out are adding stress to teens' lives.
updated 9:13 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
Many photographers have taken it upon themselves to document stillborn and terminal babies' precious moments after birth.
updated 3:46 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
As part of the insurance coverage offered to its female employees, Facebook is paying to freeze their eggs.
updated 2:15 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Amal Alamuddin was well-known in many important circles long before she snagged the world's most eligible bachelor. But Amal Alamuddin is now Amal Clooney, according to her law firm's website.
updated 12:42 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Trends in young adult fiction have shifted from wizards to glittering vampires to bloodthirsty "Hunger Games" and now, to teens coping with illnesses and realistic issues.
updated 8:56 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Before he died this year, 14-year-old Martin Romero wanted to do something for his community.
cnn, parents, parenting, logo
Get the latest kid-related buzz, confessions from imperfect parents and the download on the digital life of families here at CNN Parents.