Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Federer beats injured Djokovic to set up all-Swiss Monte Carlo final

updated 1:20 PM EDT, Sat April 19, 2014
Can Roger Federer win a first Monte Carlo title in what will be his fourth final appearace at the event?
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Federer beats injured Djokovic to set up final against Stanislas Wawrinka
  • Djokovic unsure how long wrist injury will keep him out of action
  • Serb a doubt for French Open which gets underway on May 25
  • Wawrinka beats David Ferrer in straight sets in other semifinal

(CNN) -- Roger Federer set up an all Swiss final at the Monte Carlo Masters after beating an injured Novak Djokovic in the semifinal on Saturday.

The 32-year-old swept to 7-5 6-2 win over the Serb who was hampered by a wrist injury to book a place in Sunday's final against compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka.

Defending champion Djokovic, who was playing with a heavily strapped right forearm, battled hard but was powerless to stop Federer who wrapped up the win in just 75 minutes.

Davis Cup showdown
Hingis grooms future champs
In the footsteps of 'Grand Slam Stan'
Teen sensation with the X factor

The 26-year-old sustained the injury prior to the tournament he told reporters earlier this week and now faces a race against time to be fit for the French Open which gets underway on May 25.

The world No. 2 revealed afterwards that the wrist does not need surgery but he couldn't say how long he might be out of action.

"I'm going to go see the doctors tonight and then tomorrow again have another MRI, see if anything changed in the seven days since I had the last one," Djokovic said.

"I'll just rest now. I cannot play tennis for some time -- how long, I don't know. It's really not in my hands anymore. I'm going to rest and see when it can heal 100%, then I will be back on the court."

Federer's victory secured a fourth final appearance at Monte Carlo in a tournament he has never won.

"For me it comes as a bit of a surprise to be in the finals again of a tournament this year, especially the first one on clay. But, of course, I'll take it," Federer said.

"I feel like I have put in the performance to be there, gave myself the opportunity this week. So I'm very happy with my play. Now I set up the dream finals for Stan and myself and Swiss tennis and the Swiss fans. It's very exciting times right now."

"I think it's incredible that we are in the finals together, the same week we've been playing well for some time now. That we're able to have this moment together on a center court, it's so rare."

Wawrinka made light work of Ferrer, who 24 hours earlier had put out eight-time champion Nadal, winning through 6-1 7-6 (7/3).

The 29-year-old raced through the first set in just over half-an-hour before overpowering a more aggressive Ferrer in the second.

The world No. 3 will need to be on top form again in Sunday's final against Federer who holds a 13-1 advantage in head-to-head matches.

Wawrinka will take heart from the fact that his solitary win came at Monte Carlo back in 2009 but also from the impressive showing against Ferrer.

"I'm not surprised with my game or the way I'm playing," Wawrinka said.

"Today was a little bit slower. It was a little bit windy at the beginning. It was important to move well, be aggressive. That was my plan. I started really well. I know when I'm moving well and I can dictate the game, I'm always good against him. I did a really good job, especially at the beginning."

Read more: Belinda Bencic ready to embrace greatness

Read more: Federer to put new baby ahead of French Open

Part of complete coverage on
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
When Agnieszka Radwanska refused to look her opponent in the eye after losing at Wimbledon, it raised more than eyebrows.
updated 9:14 PM EDT, Sun June 22, 2014
It's 10 years since a teenage Maria Sharapova became the darling of Wimbledon's hallowed Center Court, launching herself as a star.
Rafael Nadal is still the "King of Clay" -- but his crown has slipped a bit, says CNN's Will Edmonds.
updated 3:46 AM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
He's regularly voted France's favorite famous person, but many of the nation's youth have "no idea" about his glorious sporting past
updated 7:59 PM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
British tennis player Elena Baltacha won 11 ITF Pro Circuit titles during her 16-year playing career.
The Ukrainian-born, British tennis star loses fight against liver cancer, just a few weeks after revealing that she was battling the disease.
updated 11:55 AM EDT, Tue April 29, 2014
Five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis has followed her mom into a coaching role, setting up a new tennis academy in Barcelona, Spain.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Suisse's Belinda Bencic returns the ball to France's Alize Cornet during the second match of the Fed Cup first round tennis tie France vs Switzerland on February 8, 2014 at the Pierre de Coubertin stadium in Paris. AFP PHOTO / KENZO TRIBOUILLARD (Photo credit should read KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP/Getty Images)
It's no easy matter becoming a world class tennis player. It's even harder when everyone (really -- everyone) is calling you the "new Martina Hingis."
updated 10:20 AM EDT, Wed April 2, 2014
At the 2009 Australian Open, French men's tennis was the talk of the town.
updated 2:00 PM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - APRIL 14: Rafael Nadal of Spain sails a boat during day two of the ATP Monte Carlo Rolex Masters Tennis at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 14, 2014 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Rafael Nadal may be most at home on a clay tennis court, but he has always found comfort on the sea.
updated 7:07 AM EDT, Fri March 21, 2014
Tennis star Venus Williams reveals how she is beating the autoimmune disease that derailed her career.
updated 5:14 AM EST, Wed March 5, 2014
After two decades dedicated to the game, Amelie Mauresmo wants a second life -- one away from tennis.
Rafael Nadal of Spain wipes his face after losing his men's final match against Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland during day 14 of the 2014 Australian Open at Melbourne Park on January 26, 2014 in Melbourne, Australia.
Almost five years to the day after reducing Roger Federer to tears at the Australian Open, Rafael Nadal shed a few in his own loser's speech.