Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Federer beats injured Djokovic to set up all-Swiss Monte Carlo final

updated 1:20 PM EDT, Sat April 19, 2014
Can Roger Federer win a first Monte Carlo title in what will be his fourth final appearace at the event?
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Federer beats injured Djokovic to set up final against Stanislas Wawrinka
  • Djokovic unsure how long wrist injury will keep him out of action
  • Serb a doubt for French Open which gets underway on May 25
  • Wawrinka beats David Ferrer in straight sets in other semifinal

(CNN) -- Roger Federer set up an all Swiss final at the Monte Carlo Masters after beating an injured Novak Djokovic in the semifinal on Saturday.

The 32-year-old swept to 7-5 6-2 win over the Serb who was hampered by a wrist injury to book a place in Sunday's final against compatriot Stanislas Wawrinka.

Defending champion Djokovic, who was playing with a heavily strapped right forearm, battled hard but was powerless to stop Federer who wrapped up the win in just 75 minutes.

Davis Cup showdown
Hingis grooms future champs
In the footsteps of 'Grand Slam Stan'
Teen sensation with the X factor

The 26-year-old sustained the injury prior to the tournament he told reporters earlier this week and now faces a race against time to be fit for the French Open which gets underway on May 25.

The world No. 2 revealed afterwards that the wrist does not need surgery but he couldn't say how long he might be out of action.

"I'm going to go see the doctors tonight and then tomorrow again have another MRI, see if anything changed in the seven days since I had the last one," Djokovic said.

"I'll just rest now. I cannot play tennis for some time -- how long, I don't know. It's really not in my hands anymore. I'm going to rest and see when it can heal 100%, then I will be back on the court."

Federer's victory secured a fourth final appearance at Monte Carlo in a tournament he has never won.

"For me it comes as a bit of a surprise to be in the finals again of a tournament this year, especially the first one on clay. But, of course, I'll take it," Federer said.

"I feel like I have put in the performance to be there, gave myself the opportunity this week. So I'm very happy with my play. Now I set up the dream finals for Stan and myself and Swiss tennis and the Swiss fans. It's very exciting times right now."

"I think it's incredible that we are in the finals together, the same week we've been playing well for some time now. That we're able to have this moment together on a center court, it's so rare."

Wawrinka made light work of Ferrer, who 24 hours earlier had put out eight-time champion Nadal, winning through 6-1 7-6 (7/3).

The 29-year-old raced through the first set in just over half-an-hour before overpowering a more aggressive Ferrer in the second.

The world No. 3 will need to be on top form again in Sunday's final against Federer who holds a 13-1 advantage in head-to-head matches.

Wawrinka will take heart from the fact that his solitary win came at Monte Carlo back in 2009 but also from the impressive showing against Ferrer.

"I'm not surprised with my game or the way I'm playing," Wawrinka said.

"Today was a little bit slower. It was a little bit windy at the beginning. It was important to move well, be aggressive. That was my plan. I started really well. I know when I'm moving well and I can dictate the game, I'm always good against him. I did a really good job, especially at the beginning."

Read more: Belinda Bencic ready to embrace greatness

Read more: Federer to put new baby ahead of French Open

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:48 AM EDT, Thu September 11, 2014
French Tennis player Rene Lacoste, one of France's 'Four Musketeers' who won the Davis Cup in 1932, at Wimbledon. He is wearing his embroidered crocodile motif. Original Publication: People Disc - HH0434 (Photo by Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)
His distinctive crocodile logo is seen on clothing all over the world, but Rene Lacoste also left a lasting legacy in the development of tennis.
updated 2:36 AM EDT, Tue September 9, 2014
Marin Cilic follows in the footsteps of his coach Goran Ivanicevic by claiming a grand slam crown for Croatia, winning the U.S. Open.
updated 9:34 AM EDT, Sun September 14, 2014
Serena Williams of the US holds the US Open trophy after defeating Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark during their US Open 2014 women's singles finals match at the USTA Billie Jean King National Center September 7, 2014 in New York. AFP PHOTO/Stan HONDA (Photo credit should read STAN HONDA/AFP/Getty Images)
Serena Williams is without peer in the modern women's game and now she is on a par with two American tennis legends from the past.
updated 9:21 AM EDT, Tue September 2, 2014
American tennis player and golfer Althea Gibson (right) receives a kiss from compatriot Darlene Hard, whom she beat in two sets to become the first black woman to win the Women's Singles Finals at Wimbledon.
Over the course of her remarkable life, Althea Gibson was many things to many people -- but it was tennis where she really left her mark.
updated 7:45 AM EDT, Wed August 27, 2014
Canada and tennis? Really? Yup. The North American tennis power balance is swinging away from the States.
updated 8:52 AM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014
As a player he was as fiery as his hair -- and as Novak Djokovic's coach, Boris Becker says he has to battle to keep his emotions in check.
updated 7:02 AM EDT, Wed August 20, 2014
Tennis great Boris Becker says he was stunned by the level of criticism he received after being appointed as Novak Djokovic's coach.
updated 7:01 AM EDT, Fri July 25, 2014
"I didn't cry once when I practiced in front of the mirror," says Martin Emmrich. But the nerves kicked in when he got down on one knee on court.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
When Agnieszka Radwanska refused to look her opponent in the eye after losing at Wimbledon, it raised more than eyebrows.
updated 9:14 PM EDT, Sun June 22, 2014
It's 10 years since a teenage Maria Sharapova became the darling of Wimbledon's hallowed Center Court, launching herself as a star.
updated 3:46 AM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
He's regularly voted France's favorite famous person, but many of the nation's youth have "no idea" about his glorious sporting past
updated 11:55 AM EDT, Tue April 29, 2014
Five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis has followed her mom into a coaching role, setting up a new tennis academy in Barcelona, Spain.