Skip to main content

Syria refugee's desperate act: 'They burned my heart before they burned my body'

By Arwa Damon and Raja Razek, CNN
updated 8:27 AM EDT, Thu April 3, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Mariam Khaowleh, her husband and their family fled to Lebanon from their home in Homs, Syria
  • Three of their four children have a blood disease that makes it difficult to digest certain foods
  • After they were excluded from targeted food aid Mariam says it was hard to feed her family
  • She says she appealed for but was denied re-inclusion and finally set herself alight

(CNN) -- Mariam Khaowleh moans softly as the nurse gently removes the straw from her raw lips.

Her entire body is covered in bandages. Mariam, a Syrian refugee, in her 40s, a mother of four, her wounds not a product of the violence raging in her homeland, but self-inflicted.

Mariam's husband, Ahmad al-Daher, peers into the room from behind the glass, shock and sorrow lining his face as he listens to the woman whose smile he fell in love with 24 years ago.

"I chose death, I chose death rather than seeing my children die a million times in front of me," she says, speaking to us through the intercom.

Only medical staff are allowed inside the room. "It's hard, it's hard for a mother to want to feed her children. They burned my heart, they burned my heart before they burned my body. I was like an insect to them."

Targeted aid

Mariam's story of frustration, humiliation, desperation mirrors that of countless other refugees. But so deep was her agony that something inside this woman -- described as being strong, eloquent -- must have snapped.

IRC's plea to remember Syria's refugees
Angelina Jolie visits Syria refugees
Syria's young refugees
Syrian refugees suffer from starvation

Mariam and her family fled to Lebanon from the Syrian city of Homs nearly two years ago. Life as a refugee was hard, making ends meet always a struggle especially putting the children -- aged 13 to 22 -- into school and university.

Three of Mariam and Ahmad's four children have a blood disease which makes it difficult to digest certain foods and can lead to hemolytic anemia.

The family relied on aid to get by, but about six months ago the UNHCR and World Food Programme conducted a vulnerability assessment and concluded that around 30% of refugees can meet their own needs. That resulted in a targeted aid campaign, and Mariam's family was excluded.

There is a process to appeal the exclusion, which Mariam's family says is why she made repeated visits to a UNHCR registration center in Tripoli.

"I went to them over and over, I said you must have made a mistake." She tells us. "They lied to me, they mocked me, they shouted at me, get out of here."

"I said to them if you don't give me anything where am I going to get it from?" Mariam continues. "I am going to set myself on fire, how am I going to feed my children? Feel my pain, feel what's in my heart, feel that I have four children."

Mariam torched herself.

Eyewitnesses say she arrived outside the registration center, exchanged a few words with someone before dousing herself in gasoline. Within seconds she went up in flames.

"She fell to the ground and just started burning," one of the men who runs a food stall recalls.

U.N. response

Young Syrians desperate to find loved ones
Children suffer Syrian barrel bomb attacks
Syria's 110-year-old refugee
A Syrian refugee's story

CNN spoke to U.N. personnel at the center and guards outside. They told us Mariam had not been mistreated. Still, the U.N. says it takes these allegations very seriously and is looking into them.

Mariam does have a protection file with UNHCR and in January an assessment was done regarding her children's medical condition, but they have no record of her appeal.

UNHCR says the family was also offered resettlement into communal housing, which they refused, saying they feared for their daughters' safety among strangers.

The U.N. is also following up on the family's eligibility for re-inclusion in the food program and covering all of Mariam's medical costs.

"I am a mother, my children were getting dizzy from the lack of food, one said I can't lift my head, the other said I can't move my legs" Mariam recalls, regret for her actions compounding her already penetrating physical and emotional pain.

"My heart burns for my children. I hope that God forgives me, I want my voice to reach all the mothers, each person who has a conscience," she pleads.

"I want my children to be independent, I worked very hard for their education, I worked a lot in this life for them to be able to reach university."

Ahmad, her husband, wipes his eyes and turns away as she says she doesn't want her children to see her like this. She wants them to remember her the way she was.

Number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon passes 1 million, U.N. says

Part of complete coverage on
Syrian crisis
updated 10:48 AM EDT, Tue September 9, 2014
As a 10-year-old, this boy first hit the headlines in 1982 when he saved his cat from a fire. This year, he was reported to be a suicide bomber.
updated 2:03 PM EDT, Fri September 5, 2014
Aqsa Mahmood,19, would listen to Coldplay and read Harry Potter books. Then this Glasgow girl became an ISIS bride.
updated 4:23 AM EDT, Fri August 29, 2014
The little boy looks barely old enough to walk, let alone understand the dark world he's now inhabiting.
updated 12:22 AM EDT, Fri August 29, 2014
ISIS has released video of the aftermath of a mass execution. Another video shows alleged captured Peshmerga soldiers.
updated 5:33 AM EDT, Sat August 30, 2014
The number of people who have fled Syria and registered as refugees amid the country's civil war will surpass 3 million Friday.
updated 2:49 PM EDT, Fri August 29, 2014
Douglas McAuthur McCain, 33, grew up in the Minneapolis area, but died more than 6,000 miles away in Syria, fighting for ISIS.
updated 4:54 PM EDT, Mon September 1, 2014
If the United States is serious about thoroughly defeating ISIS, it must, somehow, go through Syria.
updated 8:43 AM EDT, Thu June 26, 2014
Jihadists have kidnapped over 140 Kurdish boys to "brainwash" them. But a few boys made a daring escape.
updated 8:48 AM EDT, Thu June 26, 2014
Reports that Syrian warplanes carried out a cross-border attack on Iraqi towns is further evidence of the blurring of the two countries' borders.
updated 5:33 PM EDT, Tue June 24, 2014
CNN's Atika Shubert speaks to a father whose teenage son joined the Jihad movement in Syria.
updated 7:41 AM EDT, Mon June 23, 2014
At the start of Syria's civil unrest, Omar would rally against the government alongside his schoolmates, later taking to the streets in his hometown of Salqin.
updated 5:17 PM EDT, Mon June 23, 2014
Atika Shubert looks at the rise of European jihadists traveling to Syria and whether they soon could join ISIS in Iraq.
updated 10:53 AM EDT, Mon June 23, 2014
The final stockpile of Syria's chemical weapons has been shipped out of the country, according to the OPCW, the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
updated 4:25 PM EDT, Wed June 25, 2014
The US isn't doing airstrikes in Iraq. Is there a vacuum for Syria and Iran to step in? CNN's Fareed Zakaria weighs in.
updated 4:04 AM EDT, Tue June 10, 2014
CNN's Nick Paton Walsh reports on Syrian rebels using underground explosions against the better-equipped regime.
updated 7:51 AM EDT, Mon June 9, 2014
CNN's Nick Paton Walsh returns to the besieged rebel areas of Aleppo, a pale skeleton of a city that has had the life bombed out of it.
updated 7:51 AM EDT, Mon June 2, 2014
Syria may be embroiled in a brutal three-year civil war, but that's not stopping the government from holding presidential elections.
updated 7:23 AM EDT, Tue June 3, 2014
CNN's Nick Paton Walsh meets an ISIS defector in hiding and gets a rare look into the group's recruitment process.
updated 12:10 PM EDT, Thu June 5, 2014
Over a thousand Syrian refugees have turned an abandoned shopping mall in Lebanon into makeshift living quarters.
updated 2:15 PM EDT, Mon September 22, 2014
More than 100,000 people reportedly have been killed in Syria since a popular uprising in 2011 spiraled into a civil war.