Skip to main content

Navy Yard shooter raised concern previously, but military said it wasn't told

By Bill Mears, CNN Senior Producer
updated 12:42 PM EDT, Tue March 18, 2014
Alexis Aaron shot and killed 12 people at the Navy Yard in Washington last September. A Navy report says his behavior beforehand raised red flags at his employer. (Photo by FBI via Getty Images)
Alexis Aaron shot and killed 12 people at the Navy Yard in Washington last September. A Navy report says his behavior beforehand raised red flags at his employer. (Photo by FBI via Getty Images)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Report says employees at contractor noted behavior that raised concerns
  • The report by the Navy said had it known, the government would have yanked clearances
  • Alexis Aaron shot and killed 12 people last year before being killed by police

(CNN) -- Concerns about the "mental stability" of the Washington Navy Yard shooter were raised by his supervisors and others, but never reported to military officials as required, the Navy said on Tuesday.

Aaron Alexis, 34, killed 12 people and wounded several others in a rampage at the historic military facility last September before he was killed by police.

A Navy report placed much of the blame on Alexis' employer, a firm called The Experts Inc., a technology subcontractor of HP Enterprise Services.

The report said the former reservist previously had been "observed by several people," including supervisors at both companies, "to behave in a way that raised concerns about his mental stability and presented indicators that he may cause harm to others."

Had the military known this, the report said that his authorization to access secure facilities and information "would have been revoked."

CNN's Evan Perez contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT