Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Would you tell your kids you got high?

By Kelly Wallace, CNN
updated 11:06 AM EST, Wed March 5, 2014
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • President Obama told a group of teens he got high when he was their age
  • We asked parents if they would tell their kids about their drug and alcohol use
  • Many parents said they'd be honest, especially if family has a history of addiction
  • How much to share is an individual decision, one parenting expert said

Editor's note: Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering family, career and life. She is a mom of two. Read her other columns and follow her reports at CNN Parents and on Twitter.

(CNN) -- President Obama talked openly last week about a candid conversation with a group of at-risk kids in Chicago, and many of us parents took notice.

"I explained to them when I was their age, I was a lot like them," the President said, referring to the African-American boys he met with at Chicago's Hyde Park Academy High School on the city's south side last year.

"I didn't have a dad in the house. And I was angry about it, even though I didn't necessarily realize it at the time. I made bad choices. I got high without always thinking about the harm that it could do."

Young men of color, share your advice

The President's honesty with teens about using drugs led many of us parents to ask: Would we do the same with our children?

READ: Hispanic teens more likely to use drugs, study says

Would we tell them that we tried drugs or used them repeatedly? Is sharing that information a good idea, or could it backfire?

My girls, ages 6 and 7, are still too young for this conversation, in my humble opinion. But I have wondered whether I'd one day tell them that yes, I did get high -- but just once!

Study: 44% kids know person selling drugs
Fake pot sends teen to ICU
Teenage heroin use exploding in suburbs

Thankfully, I never really used drugs, but alcohol is a whole different story. Would I tell my girls about how I drank way too much too many times to remember during my college years, all while I was under the legal drinking age?

Coming from a family that has battled alcoholism -- and cognizant of how there can be a genetic predisposition to the disease -- I feel my husband and I most definitely need to have the conversation when our girls are old enough.

Yolanda Machado, a Babble.com contributor and mom of a 6-year-old daughter, agrees. Her husband is a recovering drug addict. His addiction caused them to separate for a little more than a year. They have been back together since 2011.

"I met my husband when he was 19, and at that time he had only smoked weed once," said Machado, who is founder of the blog Sassy Mama in L.A.

She said he then fell in with the "wrong people at the wrong time."

"He said it was like something in him just clicked when he started doing drugs. Had he been told about his family's predisposition, he may have made a different choice. But, we'll never know. In order to give our daughter the best shot of making the right choice, we want her to know."

READ: 9 things everyone should know about the drug Molly

Cecily Kellogg has already had the conversation with her daughter, who is 7. Sober for 18 years, Kellogg has told her daughter in very general terms that she's a recovering drug addict and alcoholic and that addiction is a family disease.

Heroin use on the rise in the U.S.
Sex talk with mom
Generation stressed: teens boiling over

"That is why I'm honest about my addiction, and I also tell her that she's at risk and needs to make smart decisions. At her age, this likely goes over her head, but I tell her anyway," said Kellogg, who writes for Babble.com and hosts a blog at Uppercase Woman.

TV host Miss Lori, a mother of three, says she has been very open with her kids about never having used drugs. That admission wasn't exactly helpful at first, she concedes.

"They regarded me as a total anomaly who might not understand the pressures kids are facing today concerning drugs," said the children's television host and social media specialist, who is also a Babble.com contributor.

"But when I talked with my kids in more detail about the pressure I experienced to 'party,' particularly in the entertainment industry, they came to recognize that I had an even greater understanding of what kids are going through."

Miss Lori, who regularly talks to her children about drugs (and sex, alcohol and money!), says the thinking that you, as a parent, can lie or hide your experiences from your kids without consequence "is a fantasy."

"If you want your children to be forthright with you, shouldn't you show them the same respect? Besides it's not about what you did or didn't do, it's about why you made the choices you did and what effect they had on your future, positive or negative."

READ: Is underage drinking ever OK?

The best lessons as parents, says Lyz Lenz, a writer and mom of two small children in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, don't come from our "perfect" moments but from when we admit mistakes and show our kids how we try to learn from them.

With that philosophy in mind, Lenz, host of a blog in her own name, plans to tell her kids when they're older how she got drunk in college. "How I let it happen," said Lenz, "and some stories of what happened after."

"Maybe not all the stories, but I will always do my best to answer questions as honestly as possible," said Lenz. "It's not going to be pretty."

CNN\'s Kelly Wallace wonders when and how she\'ll tell her girls about drinking alcohol in her college days.
CNN's Kelly Wallace wonders when and how she'll tell her girls about drinking alcohol in her college days.

Jennifer Bosse, a mom of two and founder of the blog Defining My Happy, said her mother was very honest growing up, and she plans to be the same with her children once they get older.

"My mother was fairly open with my siblings and I about her past and the mistakes she made. She did this in hopes that we would learn from them," said Bosse. "I really took what she shared to heart and was fairly straight-edge growing up. I was too scared by the stories she had shared."

Of course, a big question for parents is whether talking about past drug use will make our children more or less likely to try drugs when they're older.

READ: OMG! Your teen actually talks to you?

While Bosse says her mom's open approach did deter her from doing anything serious, she's seen plenty of other cases where candor didn't exactly have the desired effect.

"I have seen ... parents be completely open and their kids end up engaging in the same ways and amounts they did ... the whole, 'Well, you did it' argument," said Bosse.

Sue Scheff, an author and parenting expert, calls this a tricky issue for parents, namely because drugs are a "different animal" today than when we were in school.

"Just getting high today is not what just getting high 20 or 30 years ago was," said Scheff.

Marijuana is, on average, more potent than it was in the 1970s. Also, drugs like heroin are becoming more popular with teenagers, and even more deadly when laced with narcotics.

Whether to talk to your children about your drug past depends on your individual situation, she says. If a child is using drugs to try and fit in, and the parent did the same thing, the parent can relate their story to let them know they understand how their child feels.

"Make it a learning experience," said Scheff, author of the book "Wit's End: Advice and Resources for Saving Your Out-of-Control Teen." "It needs to be a situation that relates to the parent and teen."

Stay in touch!
Don't miss out on the conversation we're having at CNN Living. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest stories and tell us what's influencing your life.

On the other hand, if the children need rehab or detox, telling them you did drugs could become an excuse where they say, 'Mom did it, so why can't I?"" said Scheff.

READ: Steering teen drivers out of harm's way

LaTricia Woods, a public relations executive and motivational speaker who lives outside Phoenix, never experimented with drugs. Knowing her mom abandoned her as an infant because she was under the influence of drugs was one of the reasons, she said.

She is part of a group of female professionals who speak to young, at-risk girls about the challenges of growing up. Often, a member of the group who has a history of drug use will share her experience with the young women. "It gives the young ladies a chance to speak to someone who has been in their shoes (or similar shoes) and has gone on to become a successful adult."

You can't underestimate the power of seeing someone who has been in a place similar to where they are today and who has gone on create a successful life, said Woods.

One of the students President Obama met with last year said as much. Last week, as the President shared what he told a group of teens about his past, he remembered the reaction.

"After I was finished, the guy sitting next to me said, 'Are you talking about you?' I said, 'Yes.'"

Would you talk to your kids about your past drug or alcohol use? Chime in below in the comments or tell Kelly Wallace on Twitter or CNN Living on Facebook.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 5:20 PM EST, Fri November 21, 2014
November is National Adoption Awareness Month. CNN's Michaela Pereira grew up in a family of five adopted girls in Canada and eventually reunited with her biological half-sister.
updated 2:39 PM EST, Thu November 20, 2014
It began for Nickolay Lamm as a question: What would Barbie look like if she had the dimensions of an average woman?
updated 9:16 PM EST, Wed November 19, 2014
Bill Cosby was thought of as a perceptive comedian and genial father figure. Now, that persona pairs with another, much darker image.
updated 12:35 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
If you think 'my teen would never sext,' you might be mistaken. Recent studies suggest it's more common than many parents might want to admit.
updated 6:44 AM EST, Fri November 14, 2014
I pictured myself graduating from college, getting a cool job and even having a cute place of my own. Instead, I wake to the early-morning sounds of my family dog barking and my parents making coffee downstairs.
updated 12:38 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Samantha Futerman and Anais Bordier tease, poke and prod each other like they've grown up together, but they didn't. Neither woman knew she had an identical twin sister until less than two years ago.
updated 9:02 AM EST, Thu November 13, 2014
A school district in Maryland has decided to remove all references to religious holidays from its school calendar, leaving some in the community frustrated.
updated 12:06 PM EST, Thu November 13, 2014
Female veterans often have a harder time finding employment than their male counterparts. But why?
updated 3:19 PM EST, Fri November 14, 2014
I simply couldn't believe my eyes. At a children's party this year, I witnessed full-on "mean girl" behavior.
updated 12:24 PM EST, Mon November 10, 2014
Several children were sent to the hospital after being sickened by ingesting detergent pods.
updated 9:46 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
There are plenty of times when I literally wish I could take a hammer to the portrayal of girls and women in the media. In a new ad, a little girl gets to do just that.
updated 10:09 AM EST, Sat November 8, 2014
"Playing doctor" and "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" are common rites of passage in childhood sexual behavior, according to the experts.
updated 3:12 PM EST, Thu November 6, 2014
A tech startup claims credit for making Alex from Target go viral, but there's skepticism about how involved it was, if at all.
updated 5:47 PM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
A soft toy for cribs lets babies post pictures of themselves to social media.
updated 11:55 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Schools are increasingly confronting a controversial question: Should they do more to monitor students' online interactions off-campus to keep them safe?
updated 11:56 AM EST, Thu November 6, 2014
The National Toy Hall of Fame recently inducted three new favorites into its hallowed halls. What's your favorite?
updated 10:09 AM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
We don't know, and may never know, what led to the Washington school shooting, but we have to ask ourselves, following this tragedy, if we are doing enough to help our boys deal with difficult emotions without resorting to violence.
updated 7:01 PM EDT, Wed October 29, 2014
The viral video of a New York woman being catcalled on the street has men asking, "So, what should I do?" The answer starts with respect.
updated 2:40 PM EDT, Thu October 30, 2014
Trick-or-treating and dressing in costume have been Halloween traditions for a good long time now, but it seems we're still struggling to get it right.
updated 4:38 PM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
Yes, there's actually corn in it. Corn syrup, if that counts.
updated 2:28 PM EDT, Tue October 28, 2014
Walmart found itself sending apology tweet after apology tweet after the Twitterverse raked it over the coals for a major goof on its website.
updated 4:02 PM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
There aren't too many times when I'm speechless about what I consider an outrageous example of parenting. This is one of those times.
updated 7:57 AM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
Holy crap, LeVar Burton.
updated 5:38 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Critics pounced on supermodel Gisele Bundchen for advocating a little mommy "me time" recently. When did it become a crime to admit that you -- as a parent -- put yourself first?
updated 12:21 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Sally Kohn says a video of little girls dressed as princesses using the F-word very loudly to condemn sexism is provocative. But is it exploitative?
updated 4:27 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Not again.
updated 12:41 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
"Breaking Bad's" drug-dealing chemistry teacher Walter White will have to stop making the sale at Toys R Us.
updated 4:06 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
I happen to agree with Renee Zellweger that all the chatter about her face is "silly." But I, and many other women I talked with via email Wednesday, would add some other choice words to the mix to describe the non-stop attention about her appearance: nasty, cruel, hurtful, invasive and sexist.
updated 6:06 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
I have long thought millennials, who expect flexibility in the workplace, would be the group that would bring an end to the stigma that is too often associated with flex time -- the belief that wanting a flexible work arrangement means you aren't willing to work as hard. But now I'm thinking it's going to be men who will get us there.
updated 7:40 AM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Say it with us: Kids today have it sooooo easy.
updated 2:29 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
An Atlanta judge reportedly reprimanded an immigration attorney for bringing her 4-week-old to court for a hearing -- a hearing she asked the judge to reschedule because she was on her six-week maternity leave.
updated 11:04 AM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Monica Lewinsky tweeted for the first time. She called herself "patient zero" of cyber-bullying.
updated 3:43 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Meet Shyanne Roberts, a 10-year-old competitive shooter with something to prove: "Kids and guns don't always mean bad things happen."
updated 9:50 AM EDT, Mon October 20, 2014
strawberry ghosts
We love Halloween season. Sweets. Sweaters. Sipping hot cider (maybe spiked). Halloween can certainly get you in the spirit, and nothing warms our hearts like these healthy Halloween treats that help you stay energized instead of stuck in a sugar coma.
updated 3:23 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Does your baby cry during long flights, causing you to want to disappear from the glares of fellow passengers?
updated 4:14 PM EST, Thu November 20, 2014
Ask any teen if they suffer from social media anxiety and they would probably tell you no. But the truth is getting "likes" and the fear of missing out are adding stress to teens' lives.
updated 9:13 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
Many photographers have taken it upon themselves to document stillborn and terminal babies' precious moments after birth.
updated 3:46 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
As part of the insurance coverage offered to its female employees, Facebook is paying to freeze their eggs.
updated 2:15 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Amal Alamuddin was well-known in many important circles long before she snagged the world's most eligible bachelor. But Amal Alamuddin is now Amal Clooney, according to her law firm's website.
updated 12:42 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Trends in young adult fiction have shifted from wizards to glittering vampires to bloodthirsty "Hunger Games" and now, to teens coping with illnesses and realistic issues.
updated 8:56 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Before he died this year, 14-year-old Martin Romero wanted to do something for his community.
updated 6:33 PM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
A 12-year-old girl called Dick's Sporting Goods out on its lack of female athletes in the Basketball 2014 catalog.
updated 12:36 PM EDT, Mon October 13, 2014
Before he was even born, Shane Michael Haley had already met the Philadelphia Phillies, been to the top of the Empire State Building and shared a cheesesteak with his parents.
updated 3:39 PM EDT, Fri October 10, 2014
I couldn't quite believe my eyes when I read the initial comments from Microsoft's CEO on how women who don't ask for raises will receive "good karma."
cnn, parents, parenting, logo
Get the latest kid-related buzz, confessions from imperfect parents and the download on the digital life of families here at CNN Parents.