2 civilian contractors killed in Afghanistan were Americans

U.S. soldiers and Afghan security forces search the site of a suicide bombing in Kabul, Afghanistan, on February 10, 2014.

Two civilian contractors killed in a suicide bombing in eastern Afghanistan earlier this week were Americans, the U.S. Embassy in Kabul said Tuesday.

The contractors were working with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force when they died Monday.

The attack was a suicide car bombing targeting an ISAF military convoy in eastern Kabul, near the country's largest detention center, according to one of the city's district police chiefs, Akbar Ali.

Six other people were injured in the attack, Ali said.

The insurgent group Hezb-e-Islami Gulbuddin claimed responsibility for the attack, according to group spokesman Eng Haroon Zarghob.

READ: Report: Afghan civilian casualties rose 14% last year

READ: U.S. official: Military dog seized by Taliban belongs to British