(CNN) -- The Boston Marathon bombing suspect wants his day in court -- but not until late next year.
Lawyers for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev have requested a trial date no earlier than September 2015, according to a joint status report filed in federal court in Massachusetts Monday.
Among other issues, the report said Tsarnaev's lawyers have not had a chance to review the many pieces of physical evidence, "including nearly 2,000 items that reportedly are still being analyzed by the FBI and items kept at additional locations." The defense is also making additional discovery requests.
Prosecutors said they estimate the trial would last approximately 12 weeks.
If Tsarnaev is found guilty, prosecutors expect the sentencing hearing would last approximately six weeks.
Jurors will not only weigh whether he's guilty but also whether he deserves to die.
Federal prosecutors said last month they'll seek the death penalty against Tsarnaev, arguing that he acted in "an especially heinous, cruel and depraved manner" and lacks remorse.
Tsarnaev is charged with 30 federal counts stemming from the April 15 attack, which left three people dead and more than 250 others injured.
Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Authorities allege Tsarnaev, a Chechnya-born American, and his brother, Tamerlan, planted two homemade bombs near the finish line of the marathon, then killed a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer three days later.
The attacks triggered the massive manhunt that led to Tsarnaev's capture. Police shot and killed Tamerlan Tsarnaev during the manhunt.