Skip to main content

Nemanja Vidic calls time on Manchester United career

updated 2:04 PM EST, Sun February 9, 2014
Nemanja Vidic has announced that he will be leaving Old Trafford in the summer.
Nemanja Vidic has announced that he will be leaving Old Trafford in the summer.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Serbian defender to leave reigning Premier League champions in the summer
  • Vidic: "My time at this great club will always rank as the best years of my career"
  • 32-year-old not considering staying in England and could move to Italy, agent says

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic has announced that he will leave the club at the end of the season.

The 32-year-old Serbian has enjoyed eight hugely successful seasons at Old Trafford but now says he wants a fresh challenge away from the English Premier League.

"It's the last year of my contract and I have had eight wonderful years here. My time at this great club will always rank as the best years of my career," Vidic said in a statement released on Manchester United's official website.

Nemanja Vidic

"I never could have imagined winning 15 trophies and I will certainly never forget that fantastic night in Moscow, memories that will live with me and the fans forever.

"However, I have decided that I will move on at the end of this season. I want to challenge myself again and try to make the best of myself in the coming years."

In addition to the 2008 Champions League victory over Chelsea in the Russian capital, Vidic won five English Premier League titles, three League Cup winner's medals and one FIFA Club World Cup.

The former Serbian International has played over 200 games for United and forged a formidable defensive partnership with Rio Ferdinand following his transfer from Spartak Moscow in December 2005.

According to his agent Silvano Martina, Vidic has been the subject of interest from several Serie A clubs including Inter Milan and the defender confirmed that he is not looking for a contract at another English club.

"I'm not considering staying in England as the only club I ever wanted to play for here is Manchester United and I was lucky enough to be part of this club for so many years. I've got a few options to move on and I will choose the right one for me and for my family," Vidic said.

"I am now going to focus all my efforts on playing for Manchester United and do the best I can for the team until the end of the season. I hope this stops any further speculation about my future."

Read more: Monaco sign Dimitar Berbatov

Read more: Arsenal eclipses Man Utd in China

Part of complete coverage on
updated 7:51 AM EDT, Fri August 15, 2014
Last season Jose Mourinho wrote off the title of hopes of his "little horse" -- but now he has a squad primed to dethrone Manchester City.
updated 2:58 PM EDT, Thu August 14, 2014
Luis Suarez will have to wait until late October to make his competitive Barcelona debut his ban for biting an opponent was partially upheld.
updated 12:49 PM EDT, Thu August 14, 2014
Can Louis van Gaal cut it at Manchester United? Will Bayern conquer all in Germany? Is this PSG's year to win the Champions League?
updated 6:12 AM EDT, Thu August 7, 2014
It's been a difficult year for Barcelona on and off the pitch, and the signing of Luis Suarez has only increased the prospect of more controversy.
updated 10:35 AM EDT, Mon August 11, 2014
Germany striker Miroslav Klose, who scored a total of 16 goals at four World Cup finals, has announced his retirement from international football.
updated 7:45 AM EDT, Thu July 31, 2014
Cultural y Deportivo Leonesa line up in their tuxedo kit.
When celebrating an important anniversary, it's always good to look your best. At least that's theory for a Spanish football team's preseason tuxedo kit.
updated 7:03 AM EDT, Wed July 30, 2014
While many top European clubs are targeting the U.S. market, French football is setting its sights on expanding into Asia -- with China playing a key role.
updated 8:29 AM EDT, Sun July 27, 2014
Major League Soccer has snared another big name from England with former Chelsea star Frank Lampard committing his future to New York City FC.
updated 12:56 PM EDT, Wed July 23, 2014
Europe's top clubs have booked a summer holiday to the U.S. -- but this is business not pleasure as they look to cash in on the World Cup afterglow.
updated 2:28 PM EDT, Tue July 22, 2014
Brazil's new coach Dunga won the World Cup as a player in 1994.
Former World Cup-winning captain Dunga is appointed coach of Brazil's national team for the second time, charged with restoring national pride.
updated 10:20 AM EDT, Tue July 22, 2014
Colombia's World Cup star James Rodriguez continues Real Madrid's long tradition of signing "Galacticos."
updated 6:07 AM EDT, Mon July 21, 2014
Germany's World Cup-winning captain Philipp Lahm has decided to go out at the top by announcing his retirement from international football.