Skip to main content

5 things Dennis Rodman wants you to know

By Mariano Castillo, CNN
updated 2:57 PM EST, Fri January 31, 2014

(CNN) -- Former NBA star Dennis Rodman opened up to CNN's Chris Cuomo about North Korea and his stay at a rehab clinic. Here are some of the highlights that Rodman wanted people to hear:

He is not a traitor

It's true that Rodman has visited North Korea, a secretive state accused of human rights abuses that has also been pursuing a nuclear weapons program despite warnings from world powers. It's true that Rodman called North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a nice guy and sang him "Happy Birthday."

But, he told CNN firmly on Friday, "I am not a traitor."

Rodman to CNN: I don't have to drink
Was Rodman drunk during interview?
Dennis Rodman: 'I am not a traitor'

"My whole goal is to make people happy," he said.

But he is still a friend of Kim Jong Un

Rodman says he doesn't know Kim as a dictator, but just as a 31-year-old guy he calls "kid."

"Yeah, he's my friend," Rodman said. "I look at him as that because he gave me the opportunity to at least come into the country of North Korea to bring a basketball team."

The trip was intended to show the world that the two countries can get along, Rodman said.

"I wasn't trying to look in the history books and what went on with his grandfather of father; that wasn't my job," Rodman said. "That wasn't my assignment to go over, 'Hey Kim Jong Un, can I come over here and ask you questions about why you're such a bad guy?' "

He wants to go back to North Korea

And he wants to take Chris Cuomo with him.

Cuomo asked Rodman if he understood why his actions in North Korea were being criticized. Rodman responded that if Cuomo traveled with him to meet Kim, he would understand.

"I will take you over there and introduce you to him," Rodman said. Once Cuomo meets the North Korean leader, he will see that "person to person," he is a nice guy.

"When you meet him and sit down and have dinner with him," and avoid politics, Rodman said, Cuomo would understand.

Cuomo accepted the invitation.

He doesn't know why North Korea imprisoned Kenneth Bae

In an earlier interview, Rodman implied that he knew why American Kenneth Bae was imprisoned in North Korea, and he suggested that Bae -- who has been held in North Korea since 2012 -- may have done something to deserve his sentence of 15 years of hard labor.

"To this day, I still don't know what he did," Rodman said.

He even offered to take Bae's place if he could.

"I feel for (Bae's family). I feel for them deeply. ... I would do anything, literally," he said. "This is Dennis Rodman talking. If they (North Korea) said, 'We'll take Dennis Rodman and we'll let Kenneth Bae go,' I'll say, 'You know what? I'll do that. ... Take me.' "

He's a party animal who is growing up

"Am I an alcoholic? Absolutely," Rodman said.

The interview was conducted from a rehab facility.

"I've always been a party animal," Rodman said, citing boredom as a reason for his drinking.

He regrets being an "awful dad" so far but hopes to be a better father to his children. He said he feels like he's just recently been growing up in the last five years.

"I will be a father one day. Things don't happen overnight," he said.

CNN's Jason Hanna contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 7:24 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
As soon as word broke that "The Interview" will hit some theaters, celebrations erupted across social media -- including from the stars of the film.
updated 1:44 PM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
Did a rogue hacker -- or the U.S. government -- cut the cord for the regime's Internet?
updated 3:22 AM EST, Tue December 23, 2014
The United States and North Korea have long been locked in a bitter cycle of tensions. But the current cyber conflict may be especially hard to predict.
updated 1:49 PM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
A defector from the North Korean government says the country's cyberwarfare is more dangerous than its nuclear weaponry.
updated 8:27 AM EST, Mon December 22, 2014
North Korea warns the United States that U.S. "citadels" will be attacked, dwarfing the hacking attack on Sony.
updated 10:43 AM EST, Thu December 18, 2014
North Korea's fury over "The Interview" appears to have taken the state's oversensitivity to new extremes.
updated 8:57 PM EST, Mon December 8, 2014
A retired Silicon Valley executive and Korean War veteran was hauled off his plane at Pyongyang in 2013. Here's what happened next.
updated 5:57 AM EST, Wed November 19, 2014
A recent defector from North Korea tells of the harrowing escape into China via Chinese 'snakehead' gangs.
updated 7:39 PM EST, Mon November 17, 2014
CNN's Amara Walker speaks to a former North Korean prison guard about the abuses he witnessed and was forced to enact on prisoners.
updated 12:59 AM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
The chief of the Commission of Inquiry into North Korea's human rights says the world can no longer plead ignorance to the regime's offenses.
updated 7:34 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Kim Jong Il's former bodyguard tells of the beatings and starvation he endured while imprisoned in the country's most notorious prison camp.
updated 1:43 AM EDT, Sat October 11, 2014
Despite tense relations, China benefits from Kim Jong Un's rule in North Korea. David McKenzie explains.
updated 4:51 AM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
North Korea has "the world's most advantageous human rights system" and citizens have "priceless political integrity," the country declared.