Skip to main content

5 things Dennis Rodman wants you to know

By Mariano Castillo, CNN
updated 2:57 PM EST, Fri January 31, 2014

(CNN) -- Former NBA star Dennis Rodman opened up to CNN's Chris Cuomo about North Korea and his stay at a rehab clinic. Here are some of the highlights that Rodman wanted people to hear:

He is not a traitor

It's true that Rodman has visited North Korea, a secretive state accused of human rights abuses that has also been pursuing a nuclear weapons program despite warnings from world powers. It's true that Rodman called North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a nice guy and sang him "Happy Birthday."

But, he told CNN firmly on Friday, "I am not a traitor."

Rodman to CNN: I don't have to drink
Was Rodman drunk during interview?
Dennis Rodman: 'I am not a traitor'

"My whole goal is to make people happy," he said.

But he is still a friend of Kim Jong Un

Rodman says he doesn't know Kim as a dictator, but just as a 31-year-old guy he calls "kid."

"Yeah, he's my friend," Rodman said. "I look at him as that because he gave me the opportunity to at least come into the country of North Korea to bring a basketball team."

The trip was intended to show the world that the two countries can get along, Rodman said.

"I wasn't trying to look in the history books and what went on with his grandfather of father; that wasn't my job," Rodman said. "That wasn't my assignment to go over, 'Hey Kim Jong Un, can I come over here and ask you questions about why you're such a bad guy?' "

He wants to go back to North Korea

And he wants to take Chris Cuomo with him.

Cuomo asked Rodman if he understood why his actions in North Korea were being criticized. Rodman responded that if Cuomo traveled with him to meet Kim, he would understand.

"I will take you over there and introduce you to him," Rodman said. Once Cuomo meets the North Korean leader, he will see that "person to person," he is a nice guy.

"When you meet him and sit down and have dinner with him," and avoid politics, Rodman said, Cuomo would understand.

Cuomo accepted the invitation.

He doesn't know why North Korea imprisoned Kenneth Bae

In an earlier interview, Rodman implied that he knew why American Kenneth Bae was imprisoned in North Korea, and he suggested that Bae -- who has been held in North Korea since 2012 -- may have done something to deserve his sentence of 15 years of hard labor.

"To this day, I still don't know what he did," Rodman said.

He even offered to take Bae's place if he could.

"I feel for (Bae's family). I feel for them deeply. ... I would do anything, literally," he said. "This is Dennis Rodman talking. If they (North Korea) said, 'We'll take Dennis Rodman and we'll let Kenneth Bae go,' I'll say, 'You know what? I'll do that. ... Take me.' "

He's a party animal who is growing up

"Am I an alcoholic? Absolutely," Rodman said.

The interview was conducted from a rehab facility.

"I've always been a party animal," Rodman said, citing boredom as a reason for his drinking.

He regrets being an "awful dad" so far but hopes to be a better father to his children. He said he feels like he's just recently been growing up in the last five years.

"I will be a father one day. Things don't happen overnight," he said.

CNN's Jason Hanna contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 6:25 PM EDT, Wed July 2, 2014
As diplomats discuss a string of unsolved kidnappings of Japanese citizens by North Korea, the families of those abducted anxiously wait and hope.
updated 7:57 PM EDT, Thu July 3, 2014
When President Xi Jinping arrives in Seoul this week, the Chinese leader will have passed over North Korea in favor of its arch rival.
updated 11:13 PM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
North Korea says it plans to prosecute two American tourists that it detained earlier this year, accusing them of "perpetrating hostile acts."
updated 7:38 PM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
North Korea proposed that "all hostile military activities" with South Korea be halted, but it attached conditions that Seoul is likely to reject.
updated 8:23 PM EDT, Thu June 26, 2014
North Korean state news is reporting the country test-launched "cutting-edge ultra precision tactical guided missiles."
updated 7:45 AM EDT, Wed June 25, 2014
James Franco won't be following Dennis Rodman into North Korea anytime soon.
updated 7:04 AM EDT, Fri June 13, 2014
Don't you hate it when the weatherman gets it wrong? Apparently, so does Kim Jong Un.
updated 7:44 PM EDT, Thu June 5, 2014
New signs show Russia and North Korea are developing a closer relationship.
updated 8:12 PM EDT, Wed May 21, 2014
Photographer Eric Lafforgue visited North Korea and shares his inside look at the most isolated country in the world.
updated 9:25 PM EDT, Mon May 12, 2014
Many North Koreans listen to illegal broadcasts on homemade radios, some are convinced to defect.
updated 3:26 PM EDT, Thu May 8, 2014
Jang Jin-Sung, a North Korean defector and former regime insider, speaks with CNN's Christiane Amanpour.
updated 10:06 AM EDT, Tue May 13, 2014
iReporter Kenny Zhu visited North Korea in April and was able to take video footage and photos with his Google Glass during the trip.
updated 2:42 PM EDT, Tue April 29, 2014
North Korea loves saber-rattling. Here's a look at all the firepower they have stockpiled.
updated 8:03 PM EDT, Wed April 23, 2014
CNN's Elise Labott reports on the new baby pictures of Kim Jong Un released by North Korean state media.
updated 7:27 AM EDT, Wed April 2, 2014
Experts warn that under Kim Jong Un's rule, Pyongyang has shown an even greater willingness to raise the stakes than before.
updated 9:14 AM EDT, Tue March 18, 2014
China and North Korea criticize a U.N. report that found crimes against humanity committed in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
updated 8:05 AM EDT, Mon March 17, 2014
Megumi Yokota was only 13 when she was abducted by a North Korean agent in the 1970s. What happened after that?
updated 12:30 AM EDT, Wed March 12, 2014
Report: North Korea uses multiple techniques to defy sanctions, and shows no signs of abandoning its nuclear missile programs.