Skip to main content

5 things Dennis Rodman wants you to know

By Mariano Castillo, CNN
updated 2:57 PM EST, Fri January 31, 2014

(CNN) -- Former NBA star Dennis Rodman opened up to CNN's Chris Cuomo about North Korea and his stay at a rehab clinic. Here are some of the highlights that Rodman wanted people to hear:

He is not a traitor

It's true that Rodman has visited North Korea, a secretive state accused of human rights abuses that has also been pursuing a nuclear weapons program despite warnings from world powers. It's true that Rodman called North Korean leader Kim Jong Un a nice guy and sang him "Happy Birthday."

But, he told CNN firmly on Friday, "I am not a traitor."

Rodman to CNN: I don't have to drink
Was Rodman drunk during interview?
Dennis Rodman: 'I am not a traitor'

"My whole goal is to make people happy," he said.

But he is still a friend of Kim Jong Un

Rodman says he doesn't know Kim as a dictator, but just as a 31-year-old guy he calls "kid."

"Yeah, he's my friend," Rodman said. "I look at him as that because he gave me the opportunity to at least come into the country of North Korea to bring a basketball team."

The trip was intended to show the world that the two countries can get along, Rodman said.

"I wasn't trying to look in the history books and what went on with his grandfather of father; that wasn't my job," Rodman said. "That wasn't my assignment to go over, 'Hey Kim Jong Un, can I come over here and ask you questions about why you're such a bad guy?' "

He wants to go back to North Korea

And he wants to take Chris Cuomo with him.

Cuomo asked Rodman if he understood why his actions in North Korea were being criticized. Rodman responded that if Cuomo traveled with him to meet Kim, he would understand.

"I will take you over there and introduce you to him," Rodman said. Once Cuomo meets the North Korean leader, he will see that "person to person," he is a nice guy.

"When you meet him and sit down and have dinner with him," and avoid politics, Rodman said, Cuomo would understand.

Cuomo accepted the invitation.

He doesn't know why North Korea imprisoned Kenneth Bae

In an earlier interview, Rodman implied that he knew why American Kenneth Bae was imprisoned in North Korea, and he suggested that Bae -- who has been held in North Korea since 2012 -- may have done something to deserve his sentence of 15 years of hard labor.

"To this day, I still don't know what he did," Rodman said.

He even offered to take Bae's place if he could.

"I feel for (Bae's family). I feel for them deeply. ... I would do anything, literally," he said. "This is Dennis Rodman talking. If they (North Korea) said, 'We'll take Dennis Rodman and we'll let Kenneth Bae go,' I'll say, 'You know what? I'll do that. ... Take me.' "

He's a party animal who is growing up

"Am I an alcoholic? Absolutely," Rodman said.

The interview was conducted from a rehab facility.

"I've always been a party animal," Rodman said, citing boredom as a reason for his drinking.

He regrets being an "awful dad" so far but hopes to be a better father to his children. He said he feels like he's just recently been growing up in the last five years.

"I will be a father one day. Things don't happen overnight," he said.

CNN's Jason Hanna contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:17 PM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
Sources tell Evan Perez that U.S. investigators have determined North Korea was in fact behind the Sony hacking.
updated 8:48 PM EST, Wed December 17, 2014
Obama says people should "go to the movies" without fear, despite hackers' threats against venues that show "The Interview".
updated 7:35 PM EST, Mon December 1, 2014
CNN's Brian Todd reports on the hacking of Sony Pictures and whether North Korea could be behind it.
updated 10:50 AM EST, Fri December 19, 2014
As the U.S. gets ready to blame the Sony hack on North Korea, a troublesome question is emerging: Just what is North Korea capable of?
updated 8:57 PM EST, Mon December 8, 2014
A retired Silicon Valley executive and Korean War veteran was hauled off his plane at Pyongyang in 2013. Here's what happened next.
updated 5:57 AM EST, Wed November 19, 2014
A recent defector from North Korea tells of the harrowing escape into China via Chinese 'snakehead' gangs.
updated 7:39 PM EST, Mon November 17, 2014
CNN's Amara Walker speaks to a former North Korean prison guard about the abuses he witnessed and was forced to enact on prisoners.
updated 12:59 AM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
The chief of the Commission of Inquiry into North Korea's human rights says the world can no longer plead ignorance to the regime's offenses.
updated 7:34 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Kim Jong Il's former bodyguard tells of the beatings and starvation he endured while imprisoned in the country's most notorious prison camp.
updated 1:34 PM EST, Mon November 10, 2014
Christian Whiton argues "putting the United States at the same table as lawless thugs isn't just morally repugnant -- it's ineffective".
updated 1:43 AM EDT, Sat October 11, 2014
Despite tense relations, China benefits from Kim Jong Un's rule in North Korea. David McKenzie explains.
updated 4:51 AM EDT, Mon September 15, 2014
North Korea has "the world's most advantageous human rights system" and citizens have "priceless political integrity", the country declared.
updated 4:52 AM EDT, Mon September 1, 2014
Pro-wrestling, country clubs and theme parks are just some of the attractions North Korea wants you to see on a tightly controlled tour of the country.