Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Eagle-eyed caddie halts Rory McIlroy's charge in Abu Dhabi

updated 4:05 PM EST, Sat January 18, 2014
Caddie Dave Renwick (left) is the bearer of bad news for Rory McIlroy on the 18th green in Abu Dhabi
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Rory McIlroy handed two-stroke penalty at Abu Dhabi Golf Championship
  • The punishment drops former world No.1 three shots behind leader
  • American Phil Mickelson finds form to move to two shots off the lead
  • Scotland's Craig Lee takes 12-under-par lead into final day in the desert

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- The eagle eyes of his playing partner's caddie halted Rory McIlroy's charge at the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship.

McIlory was poised to finish the day one shot behind leader Craig Lee but instead he was handed a two-stroke penalty after Ricardo Gonzalez's bag man threw doubt over McIlroy's play at the second hole.

The former world No.1 was subsequently judged to have taken his shot with one foot on the white line that marks the spectator's path on the course.

"I hit my second shot on the second hole just into the left rough, but it was in the spectator crosswalk, so I took a drop, which obviously you're allowed to do out of it," McIlroy explained to reporters.

"I didn't notice it but my left foot was still on the white line as I played the shot and you need to take full relief.

Rio's Olympic golf course
Sergio Garcia on giving back
A new generation of golfing stars emerge

"I dropped it in a really bad lie, so actually had I known, I would have taken a better drop.

"It was unfortunate, but that's the rules of this game. I don't feel like I gained any sort of advantage by my foot being on a bit of white paint.

"I have to try to make up the shots as early as possible tomorrow. It gives me a bit of extra motivation."

Phil Mickelson may have squeezed his way through the cut but the American hit a sweet spot in Saturday's third round.

The British Open champion sunk nine birdies and an eagle to move two shots adrift of the lead alongside India's Gaganjeet Bhullar.

"I love the fact that I have a chance and that I'm in contention the first tournament out this year," Mickelson said.

"I love that I've played better each day. The first day, I felt terrible. The second day, half of it started to come around and today it started to feel pretty good and hopefully I'll be able to build on it again."

At the top of the tree, Lee is hoping for a fairytale finish to the Abu Dhabi tournament as he chases his first European Tour win.

"The quality of the players behind me is nothing I have been used to before," said Lee, who holds the lead on 12 under par.

"It's possible -- and fairytales do happen."

Read: Can desert dance inspire McIlroy?

Read: Anyone for snow golf?

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:18 AM EDT, Wed July 9, 2014
The next generation of golfers just keeps on getting younger. "They have the confidence to perform against their idols," says one ex-prodigy.
updated 7:59 AM EDT, Tue July 1, 2014
He was Spain's ultimate matador and golf's greatest escape artist.
updated 11:36 AM EDT, Wed June 18, 2014
Rory McIlroy has announced he wants to represent Ireland at the Rio Olympics in 2016.
Two-time major champion Rory McIlroy declares he'll represent Ireland at the Rio Olympics, not Great Britain.
updated 10:48 PM EDT, Mon April 28, 2014
Already admired by Annika Sorenstam and with a bucketful of talent, New Zealand's Lydia Ko has the world of golf at her feet.
updated 7:30 AM EDT, Mon April 28, 2014
Mike O'Connor, UK FootGolf
Like footie? Partial to a bit of golf? Then you'll love FootGolf. The sport's growing fan base includes a host of former English Premier League stars.
updated 9:43 AM EDT, Thu April 24, 2014
Golfers at at Barkway Park don't seem to concerned and have been taking pictures and videos of the bird when it appears on the greens and fairways.
A runaway ostrich-like bird hiding near an English golf course has caused quite a stir. Some say it's dangerous, while others are cashing in.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Tue April 22, 2014
Eagles may be thin on the ground for most golfers at the Bear Trace course at Harrison Bay. But up in the treetops, it's a different matter.
updated 1:54 PM EDT, Fri April 18, 2014
When someone tells you to go jump in a lake, sometimes it's best to take their advice. "I've never been so scared," says golfer Pablo Larrazabal.
Bubba Watson is the Masters king, but can he win a major away from Augusta? Living Golf's Shane O'Donoghue has the lowdown.
updated 10:12 AM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
Arnold Palmer
Arnold Palmer won his first major at Augusta, played there with the U.S. President and made a record 50 consecutive Masters appearances.
updated 8:02 AM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
He is remembered for designing one of the world's most famous golf courses, but the man behind Augusta died pleading to be paid.
updated 6:04 AM EDT, Thu April 10, 2014
Take a trip around Augusta. From Eisenhower's toppled tree to the fiendishly-difficult Amen Corner, the Masters' home venue has it all.