Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

Serena Williams reveals ankle fears

updated 11:56 AM EST, Sun December 29, 2013
Serena Williams poses with her coach Patrick Mouratoglou after reclaiming the year-end world No. 1 ranking she last held in 2009. Serena Williams poses with her coach Patrick Mouratoglou after reclaiming the year-end world No. 1 ranking she last held in 2009.
HIDE CAPTION
Record-breaking 2014?
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Serena Williams seeking to win Australian Open for sixth time
  • Her last victory in Melbourne grand slam came in 2010
  • World No. 1 will begin her new season against Andrea Petkovic
  • Caroline Wozniacki pulls out of Brisbane event due to injury

(CNN) -- She cuts an imposing figure on the tennis court, but Serena Williams has been stepping gingerly as she prepares to back up her stellar 2013 season.

The world No. 1 has arrived in Brisbane to begin her preparations for next month's Australian Open, and she is wary of repeating the successive ankle injuries which have marred her last two campaigns Down Under.

The first struck in the Queensland warm-up event two years ago, and then again last January in the opening match in Melbourne -- a factor which contributed to the American's shock fourth-round defeat by then teenager Sloane Stephens.

"I thought about it (at home in Florida during the off season) because I have steps in my room," Williams told reporters on Sunday.

Serena Williams' inner circle
Serena Williams' toughest challenge
Williams wins 2nd French Open title

"I thought, 'Gosh, I'm going to tip over these steps. I'm going to tape my ankles extra tight for the next four weeks.'

"If I can get a year without twisting my ankle I think I'll be good to go."

Read: Djokovic welcomes return of tennis legends

Williams overcame both injuries to end 2012 and 2013 as the dominant force in women's tennis, taking her grand slam haul to 17 titles -- five short of Steffi Graf's record.

Williams' first opponent in Brisbane will be former world No. 9 Andrea Petkovic, who defeated American Bethanie Mattek-Sands 6-4 7-5 in Sunday's opening round.

Only four players beat Williams in 82 matches last season, and the German lost their only previous encounter.

The Brisbane event will also feature world No. 2 Victoria Azarenka, who beat Williams in an exhibition in Thailand on Saturday, and Maria Sharapova -- making her WTA Tour comeback from a shoulder injury that has sidelined the Russian since August.

Caroline Wozniack, another former world No. 1 who is now working with Sharapova's ex-coach Thomas Hogstedt, has been forced to pull out due to her own shoulder problem but expects to be fit for the following tournament in Sydney.

Read: The man who saved Serena Williams

"Everyone, when they play me, they play pretty much amazing, really unbelievable," Williams said.

"I always have to be ready. I can't stop. I love competing. So for me, it's just about motivating myself and trying to reach new goals."

One of those was relaunching her clothes brand Aneres during her postseason break.

"I was interviewing so many people. Corporate Serena was taking over. I'm happy to be here right now," Williams said.

"Now I can do what I do best."

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:52 AM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014
As a player he was as fiery as his hair -- and as Novak Djokovic's coach, Boris Becker says he has to battle to keep his emotions in check.
updated 7:02 AM EDT, Wed August 20, 2014
Tennis great Boris Becker says he was stunned by the level of criticism he received after being appointed as Novak Djokovic's coach.
updated 7:01 AM EDT, Fri July 25, 2014
"I didn't cry once when I practiced in front of the mirror," says Martin Emmrich. But the nerves kicked in when he got down on one knee on court.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
When Agnieszka Radwanska refused to look her opponent in the eye after losing at Wimbledon, it raised more than eyebrows.
updated 9:14 PM EDT, Sun June 22, 2014
It's 10 years since a teenage Maria Sharapova became the darling of Wimbledon's hallowed Center Court, launching herself as a star.
Rafael Nadal is still the "King of Clay" -- but his crown has slipped a bit, says CNN's Will Edmonds.
updated 3:46 AM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
He's regularly voted France's favorite famous person, but many of the nation's youth have "no idea" about his glorious sporting past
updated 7:59 PM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
British tennis player Elena Baltacha won 11 ITF Pro Circuit titles during her 16-year playing career.
The Ukrainian-born, British tennis star loses fight against liver cancer, just a few weeks after revealing that she was battling the disease.
updated 11:55 AM EDT, Tue April 29, 2014
Five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis has followed her mom into a coaching role, setting up a new tennis academy in Barcelona, Spain.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Suisse's Belinda Bencic returns the ball to France's Alize Cornet during the second match of the Fed Cup first round tennis tie France vs Switzerland on February 8, 2014 at the Pierre de Coubertin stadium in Paris. AFP PHOTO / KENZO TRIBOUILLARD (Photo credit should read KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP/Getty Images)
It's no easy matter becoming a world class tennis player. It's even harder when everyone (really -- everyone) is calling you the "new Martina Hingis."
updated 10:20 AM EDT, Wed April 2, 2014
At the 2009 Australian Open, French men's tennis was the talk of the town.
updated 2:00 PM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - APRIL 14: Rafael Nadal of Spain sails a boat during day two of the ATP Monte Carlo Rolex Masters Tennis at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 14, 2014 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Rafael Nadal may be most at home on a clay tennis court, but he has always found comfort on the sea.