Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

When mommy and daddy both deploy

By Kelly Wallace, CNN
updated 8:27 AM EST, Fri December 20, 2013
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Frances Johnson and her husband will be deployed to Afghanistan at the same time
  • The Johnsons join the roughly 681 Marine Corps couples who have deployed at the same time since 2011
  • "I've heard that I'm a bad mom," said Johnson, referring to some criticism she has received
  • What will get her through her 6- to 12-month deployment? Thoughts of her reunion, she said

Editor's note: Kelly Wallace is CNN's digital correspondent and editor-at-large covering family, career and life. She is a mom of two. Read her other columns and follow her reports at CNN Parents and on Twitter.

(CNN) -- For several weeks, Frances Johnson had been telling her 2-year-old son Noah the following: "Mommy and Daddy are going to go to work for a while ... but we always come back for you.

"We always come back for you."

Noah is too young to understand that his mommy and daddy's "work" involves deploying to Afghanistan just around the new year, and that "a while" could be between six and 12 months. But there are signs he seems to grasp how his life is about to dramatically change, Johnson said.

When she said goodbye to him at the airport, which would be the last time she'd see him in person for months, he wanted to come along and said, "Me mama work?"

Johnson, who didn't want to cry in front of Noah for fear of making it even harder on him, couldn't hold back the tears.

"I started crying and told him that I wish he could come to work with me, but that I would come back to him like I always do as soon as I could."

"I said, 'I always come back for you.'"

Then, fearing she was really going to lose it, she gave him lots of kisses, hugged him for a "very long time" and walked away as fast as she could.

"It's really rough, I'm not gonna lie," she said in those first days after their goodbye.

Frances and Andrew \
Frances and Andrew "Drew" Johnson will deploy to Afghanistan at the same time.

I can't even imagine how rough. The most I've been away from my girls, ages 6 and 7, was 2½ weeks.

The only people who perhaps can truly understand how rough it will be are the small group of military couples who have been deployed at the same time.

From 2011 to the present, 681 Marine Corps couples had simultaneous deployments, according to the Manpower Management Information Systems Division Headquarters for the U.S. Marine Corps.

'Man, this is going to be hard'

The Marine Corps did not order the Johnsons to deploy together. Frances Johnson, a Marine Corps combat correspondent, volunteered with her husband's full support because she has not deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan during her six years in the military and always wanted to experience a deployment.

Her husband's enlistment was about to end after 10 years, so he would remain home with Noah while she deployed. But then her husband, a Marine sergeant who is a program manager with infantry detection dogs and a clerk with the Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection unit, was offered a deployment that would give him a chance for a promotion to staff sergeant.

Johnson encouraged her husband, Andrew, whom she calls Drew, to take it, even though it would mean both would be away from Noah at the same time.

READ iReport: Husband wife deploying together

Troops get piece of home for holidays
Back to war after "best Christmas ever"
Soldier surprises kids for holiday
Biden: 'Families don't wear uniforms'

"He's always been there for me. He's always encouraged me to do more and grow," she said. "I said this is kind of a sign. 'Hey, it's not time for you to go just yet. You still have a little more work in the Marine Corps.'"

Since making that decision, they have tried not to dwell on how tough it will be for Noah and for them, but of course, that is much easier said than done.

"I said, 'At least we'll be together,'" said Johnson, who will be deployed to the same base as her husband in southwestern Afghanistan. "Other than that, it was just a whole lot of, 'Man, this is going to be hard,' especially when (Noah would) come into bed with us in the morning. He's still sleepy but he climbs on in and he's just all happy and cuddly and it's just, 'Man, I'm really going to ... this is going to suck.'"

'I've heard that I'm a bad mom ... for leaving'

Her mom and dad, who live outside Denver, agreed to watch Noah while she and her husband are overseas, so they moved him from California to Colorado shortly before Thanksgiving to help him adjust to a new routine. She then had to return to work in San Diego in early December, and her husband a few weeks later.

They'll be spending Christmas away from Noah before departing to Afghanistan.

READ: Holiday traditions -- 9 ways families celebrate

Johnson's family has been extremely supportive, but not everyone understands their decision, especially since it was their choice.

"I've heard that I'm a bad mom and a bad wife for leaving, especially when we didn't know Drew was going to be going. I heard a lot of, 'How could you leave your son like that?'" she said.

"Sometimes, people who find out that both of us are deploying, they kind of say backhanded comments like, 'Wow, you guys are so brave for leaving your son. I could never do that.' And, 'You know, I try to be so centered around my kids.' And it's like, 'OK, well, me, too, but this is my job.'"

It's hard to know if those same people who seem to be passing judgment, even if they are doing it in a less than direct way, would have been more understanding a few years ago when there were two wars going on at the same time, the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, and both were getting more attention here at home.

But regardless of the answer to that question, the fact that some people don't seem to appreciate Frances and Drew's service and the extraordinary sacrifice they will be making isn't lost on them, especially on Frances.

"It hurts, but my husband is very, very good about focusing on the positives, because I am very good at focusing on the negatives," she said with a laugh, remembering a wacky time recently when Noah was cracking up during a family silly string fight.

"After everything had kind of settled down, (Drew) was like, 'See he's going to remember the good times and he thinks, this is good, and he's not going to say, 'Well, I can't believe you left me when I was 2. He's going to remember the good.'"

'He can still have me close'

CNN\'s Kelly Wallace, a mom of two, says it\'s impossible to comprehend how rough it will be for Johnson to be apart from her son.
CNN's Kelly Wallace, a mom of two, says it's impossible to comprehend how rough it will be for Johnson to be apart from her son.

Frances plans to take "quite a few pictures" of Noah with her along with all the pictures she already has on her iPhone. Plus, she's bringing a special bear she and Drew got when she was 22 weeks pregnant with Noah.

"We had gone to a 3-D ultrasound place, and they recorded his heartbeat and put it inside the bear so I'll be taking that with me," she said.

She and Drew are also leaving plenty behind for Noah, including their bed and some of their clothes so that he can just "hang out with mom and dad's scent."

They've been taking pictures of just about everything they do so Noah will have them on the computer. Her mom also plans to have some pictures printed on little pillowcases and to hang a canvas of pictures in his room.

"I (plan) on writing him because he's very, very smart," she said. "He likes to be read to, so I wanted to write him letters so that my mom can read them to him and he understands that mom's far away but ... he can still have me close."

Leaving a son: 'OK, how do I prepare for that?'

She feels mentally ready for her deployment, especially after a series of classes the military provides to give a better understanding of what she might encounter in Afghanistan. But it's pretty much impossible to know how to prepare for being away from her son, she told me.

Stay in touch!
Don't miss out on the conversation we're having at CNN Living. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest stories and tell us what's influencing your life.

"I'm just like, 'OK, how do I prepare for that? How do I?'" she said. "I don't know how to handle that."

WATCH: Saying goodbye to a college-bound daughter

She has a friend who has two boys and recently returned from a deployment, and plans to reach out to get an understanding of how she coped with being apart. Still, she continues to have moments where she wonders if she'll really be able to do this. It was especially hard after some recent family outings to the park and SeaWorld.

"Then it's like, 'Man, how can I leave this?'" she said. A few minutes later, she said, the doubts go away.

"We're going to do this and we know it's not going to be that bad and we'll all be better for it,'" she said.

She and Drew, who has been to Iraq twice, are aware of the dangers, but try not to dwell on them. Instead, they focus on the future, especially their homecoming.

"All I can think about is coming back and seeing him at the airport when I fly back," she said. "I keep thinking about how I'll try to be as polite as possible, but I'll probably be running people over just to get to him."

And who could blame her?

Follow Kelly Wallace on Twitter, and like CNN Living on Facebook.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:10 AM EST, Wed November 26, 2014
If it hasn't happened already, it likely will at some point: the moment you don't like one of your child's friends. What do you do?
updated 6:50 AM EST, Tue November 25, 2014
They say the first step to overcoming a problem is realizing you have one in the first place. An online quiz can help you determine whether you are over-reliant on your cell phone.
updated 9:52 AM EST, Mon November 24, 2014
Options for meat substitutes have come a long way since Seth Tibbott's first few Thanksgivings as a vegetarian in the 1970s.
updated 4:12 PM EST, Sat November 22, 2014
Students unhappy with school meals are taking it out on the first lady by sharing images on social media of lunches sarcastically tagged #ThanksMichelleObama.
updated 9:55 PM EST, Sun November 23, 2014
A Louisiana family is fighting to protect its beloved pit bull from a "vicious dogs" ordinance.
updated 5:20 PM EST, Fri November 21, 2014
November is National Adoption Awareness Month. CNN's Michaela Pereira grew up in a family of five adopted girls in Canada and eventually reunited with her biological half-sister.
updated 2:39 PM EST, Thu November 20, 2014
It began for Nickolay Lamm as a question: What would Barbie look like if she had the dimensions of an average woman?
updated 9:16 PM EST, Wed November 19, 2014
Bill Cosby was thought of as a perceptive comedian and genial father figure. Now, that persona pairs with another, much darker image.
updated 12:35 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
If you think 'my teen would never sext,' you might be mistaken. Recent studies suggest it's more common than many parents might want to admit.
updated 6:44 AM EST, Fri November 14, 2014
I pictured myself graduating from college, getting a cool job and even having a cute place of my own. Instead, I wake to the early-morning sounds of my family dog barking and my parents making coffee downstairs.
updated 12:38 PM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Samantha Futerman and Anais Bordier tease, poke and prod each other like they've grown up together, but they didn't. Neither woman knew she had an identical twin sister until less than two years ago.
updated 9:02 AM EST, Thu November 13, 2014
A school district in Maryland has decided to remove all references to religious holidays from its school calendar, leaving some in the community frustrated.
updated 12:06 PM EST, Thu November 13, 2014
Female veterans often have a harder time finding employment than their male counterparts. But why?
updated 3:19 PM EST, Fri November 14, 2014
I simply couldn't believe my eyes. At a children's party this year, I witnessed full-on "mean girl" behavior.
updated 12:24 PM EST, Mon November 10, 2014
Several children were sent to the hospital after being sickened by ingesting detergent pods.
updated 9:46 AM EST, Wed November 12, 2014
There are plenty of times when I literally wish I could take a hammer to the portrayal of girls and women in the media. In a new ad, a little girl gets to do just that.
updated 10:09 AM EST, Sat November 8, 2014
"Playing doctor" and "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" are common rites of passage in childhood sexual behavior, according to the experts.
updated 3:12 PM EST, Thu November 6, 2014
A tech startup claims credit for making Alex from Target go viral, but there's skepticism about how involved it was, if at all.
updated 5:47 PM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
A soft toy for cribs lets babies post pictures of themselves to social media.
updated 11:55 AM EST, Tue November 4, 2014
Schools are increasingly confronting a controversial question: Should they do more to monitor students' online interactions off-campus to keep them safe?
updated 11:56 AM EST, Thu November 6, 2014
The National Toy Hall of Fame recently inducted three new favorites into its hallowed halls. What's your favorite?
updated 10:09 AM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
We don't know, and may never know, what led to the Washington school shooting, but we have to ask ourselves, following this tragedy, if we are doing enough to help our boys deal with difficult emotions without resorting to violence.
updated 7:01 PM EDT, Wed October 29, 2014
The viral video of a New York woman being catcalled on the street has men asking, "So, what should I do?" The answer starts with respect.
updated 2:40 PM EDT, Thu October 30, 2014
Trick-or-treating and dressing in costume have been Halloween traditions for a good long time now, but it seems we're still struggling to get it right.
updated 4:38 PM EDT, Fri October 31, 2014
Yes, there's actually corn in it. Corn syrup, if that counts.
updated 2:28 PM EDT, Tue October 28, 2014
Walmart found itself sending apology tweet after apology tweet after the Twitterverse raked it over the coals for a major goof on its website.
updated 4:02 PM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
There aren't too many times when I'm speechless about what I consider an outrageous example of parenting. This is one of those times.
updated 7:57 AM EDT, Mon October 27, 2014
Holy crap, LeVar Burton.
updated 5:38 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Critics pounced on supermodel Gisele Bundchen for advocating a little mommy "me time" recently. When did it become a crime to admit that you -- as a parent -- put yourself first?
updated 12:21 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Sally Kohn says a video of little girls dressed as princesses using the F-word very loudly to condemn sexism is provocative. But is it exploitative?
updated 4:27 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
Not again.
updated 12:41 PM EDT, Fri October 24, 2014
"Breaking Bad's" drug-dealing chemistry teacher Walter White will have to stop making the sale at Toys R Us.
updated 4:06 PM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
I happen to agree with Renee Zellweger that all the chatter about her face is "silly." But I, and many other women I talked with via email Wednesday, would add some other choice words to the mix to describe the non-stop attention about her appearance: nasty, cruel, hurtful, invasive and sexist.
updated 6:06 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
I have long thought millennials, who expect flexibility in the workplace, would be the group that would bring an end to the stigma that is too often associated with flex time -- the belief that wanting a flexible work arrangement means you aren't willing to work as hard. But now I'm thinking it's going to be men who will get us there.
updated 7:40 AM EDT, Wed October 22, 2014
Say it with us: Kids today have it sooooo easy.
updated 2:29 PM EDT, Tue October 21, 2014
An Atlanta judge reportedly reprimanded an immigration attorney for bringing her 4-week-old to court for a hearing -- a hearing she asked the judge to reschedule because she was on her six-week maternity leave.
updated 11:04 AM EST, Tue November 18, 2014
Monica Lewinsky tweeted for the first time. She called herself "patient zero" of cyber-bullying.
updated 3:43 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Meet Shyanne Roberts, a 10-year-old competitive shooter with something to prove: "Kids and guns don't always mean bad things happen."
updated 9:50 AM EDT, Mon October 20, 2014
strawberry ghosts
We love Halloween season. Sweets. Sweaters. Sipping hot cider (maybe spiked). Halloween can certainly get you in the spirit, and nothing warms our hearts like these healthy Halloween treats that help you stay energized instead of stuck in a sugar coma.
updated 3:23 PM EDT, Fri October 17, 2014
Does your baby cry during long flights, causing you to want to disappear from the glares of fellow passengers?
updated 4:14 PM EST, Thu November 20, 2014
Ask any teen if they suffer from social media anxiety and they would probably tell you no. But the truth is getting "likes" and the fear of missing out are adding stress to teens' lives.
updated 9:13 AM EDT, Thu October 16, 2014
Many photographers have taken it upon themselves to document stillborn and terminal babies' precious moments after birth.
updated 3:46 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
As part of the insurance coverage offered to its female employees, Facebook is paying to freeze their eggs.
updated 2:15 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Amal Alamuddin was well-known in many important circles long before she snagged the world's most eligible bachelor. But Amal Alamuddin is now Amal Clooney, according to her law firm's website.
updated 12:42 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Trends in young adult fiction have shifted from wizards to glittering vampires to bloodthirsty "Hunger Games" and now, to teens coping with illnesses and realistic issues.
updated 8:56 PM EDT, Tue October 14, 2014
Before he died this year, 14-year-old Martin Romero wanted to do something for his community.
cnn, parents, parenting, logo
Get the latest kid-related buzz, confessions from imperfect parents and the download on the digital life of families here at CNN Parents.